Author Topic: dip your gun to clean it  (Read 914 times)

Offline willis5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
dip your gun to clean it
« on: May 05, 2003, 06:49:59 AM »
I was watching the "American Shooter" television show this weekend, and the host was showing new tech tips. one product that he showed was a bucket with a cleaning solution. You suspend the pistol (he mentioned polymer guns) in the solution for 15 minutes, take it out, wipe it down and you are done... Anyone else see this? Try it? Know the name of it?
Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Majic

dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 07:55:22 AM »
Cylinder & Slide sells a product like that called Dunk- It.  On their website they show a new one called Poly Dunk-It for polymer guns. Could it possibly be one of those?
I have personally never used it, but others have said that it cleans and lubricates very well.

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 04:42:22 AM »
Wow! Now all we need is something that also dissolves leading, and maybe another one that dissolved BP fouling without being water. (I hate dipping a gun in water!) Oils and synthetics don't hardly touch BP fouling.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline Castaway

dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 05:03:32 AM »
I hate dipping guns too.  Makes my lip real funny.  Whenever I spit, a 45 bullet comes out and ruins the cuspidor.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 07:27:57 AM »
ahhh forget it. Iam going to go get some, shoot about 1000 rounds, dunk the gun and see how it works. I'll let ya know how it goes
cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Questor

dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 09:58:36 AM »
I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I prefer to do a routine cleaning after most trips to the range, then an annual tear-down to get it all squeaky clean and properly lubed annually.
Safety first

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 03:13:48 PM »
:D      Just about a year prior to my retirement from chasing the bad guys,my department got one of the DUNK-it OUTFITS ALONG WITH A VIBRATER SYSTEM TO CLEAN THE DEPARTMENT FIREARMS.  iT WORKED GREAT,CAUSE IT WAS ABOUT THE ONLY WAY THAT WE COULD GET THE GUYS TO CLEAN THIER GUNS.  sHOWS THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN ME AT 52 AND THE KIDS AT 25.  i ALWAY take mine down and do a good once over.  Cant seem to teach em how to do it right I guess.  I will say that it did work good,   Stay safe..king
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline willis5

• Contributor
dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 04:13:18 AM »
I'm not trying this out of lazyness, but curiosity. I love stripping my guns down too.
Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Savage

dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 04:15:56 AM »
King,
The ultrasonic cleaning systems work great. They work better if they are used frequently so as not to allow an accumilation of foreign matter in the internals. Most of the guys I know and work with are not capable of disassembly and reassembly of their duty weapons. If these guys were to disassemble their weapons it would be a full time job for the armorer to reassemble them. Like you, I can completely strip my weapons and have the special tools I need to do it. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of performing this task frequently.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 11:43:36 PM »
speaking fer tha average joe---disassebly means takin out the clip or bullets---major or complete disassembly is breaking down a semi into two or three parts. i fall into the catagory of not wanting to leave out anything when i got it back together again--saying all that to say this---i like the dunkin idea. :oops:  :oops:  :shock:
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2003, 10:11:15 AM »
Don't misunderstand, I like the cleaning dunk too. It would be good for the times I don't want to fuss over every little part, or have a lot of guns to clean from an extended range trip.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
dip your gun to clean it
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 01:42:34 PM »
:-D   Savage....I know what you mean.   I was an armourer for a lot of years for my old department.  If I saw one gun taken apart at a deps  home,put together,and shoved inna holster..........and not work.  Seems to me I saw this way to many times.  I have been retired for almost a years ( year in two weeks),and I still get the guys over to the house to reasemble thier duty guns.   Not to mention just about everything else they have.  If they bring it to a 3 strip the 3 strip HAS to do a quick report on why the armchair gunsmith dep could not get it together...literally.  At my place,no report,a good lecture,and the gun is gone over for safety sake...twice.  I shot Friday and Saturday of last week.  Friday was four rifles,and my carry glock.  All stripped and gone through and put back together.  Saturday I went through 3 differant muzzleloaders,and they got the same treatment.  Kinda nice in my room with the stereo playing a little Denver or Gordon Lightfoot,putting everything back together.  Nice and relaxing ya know............Stay safe....King(alias for not being able to hit a barn door lately) :oops:  :oops:  :roll:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......