Author Topic: first time hunter  (Read 1317 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
first time hunter
« on: March 18, 2003, 04:23:39 AM »
this isn't really youth hunting but i got a question. i have a friend i work with who wants to go deer hunting fdor the first time this fall. shes fairly short and light wieght and has never used a gun. my .303 enfield is too heavy and long to be comfortable for her, and a .45-70 is out of the question. i was thinking a youth sized rifle and was wondering what you might reccomend. it can't be a small caliber because where as i could kill deer with a .243, i wouldn't feel comfortable taking a novice afield without adequete stopping power.perhaps a winchester '94 .30-.30 carbine or maybe a Mosin-Nagent M44 polish carbine?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
first time hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 04:05:12 PM »
Though she isn't a youth, her stature and inexperience with guns will put your friend into the beginner class of hunter. I would recommend reading the material posted earlier on this forum on the several topics devoted to starting youth hunters out shooting. Most of the info there will be valuable for her situation as well (and yours if you are the one to tutor her in shooting and gun selection). Good luck with it, and hope it works out to be yet another satisfied hunter afield -- we need more of 'em! :grin:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
first time hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 07:38:44 AM »
I have two .308, ones a Winchester model 88 pre 64(meaning made befor 1964) and the othe ones a savage anniversery model(kicks like a mule for that caliber) , I would recomend a the .Win 308, if you can get your hands on one, good luck :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
first time hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 01:31:59 PM »
If she's new better get her through a Hunter's Ed. class first thing. They'll let her shoot a couple rifles to find what she likes. I would suggest a youth-model in .243 up to .270 if all she'll hunt is deer.
-Power

Offline savageT

first time hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 08:02:10 AM »
For an inexperienced gun handler, the simpler the better, kevin.  Why not look for one of those single-shot H&R/ NEF Handi-Rifles models.  They are available for a little over $200 in American dollars in the youth model in .223Rem; or .243Win; or Std. model in .223; .243; .270; 280 Rem; 30/06 Spr;; 308Win; 7X57 Mauser, 7X64 Brenneke.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
first time hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 08:30:15 AM »
Can't go wrong with a good 7mm 08!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
first time hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 09:53:11 AM »
No doubt in my mind . . . go with a 7m-08.  120 to 140 gn bullets will do the trick no problem.  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
first time hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:40:52 AM »
I agree.....7mm-08 would be the best gun for any younger kid (not too young), but is perfect for any size woman....Just my 2 cents!
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
first time hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 03:56:38 AM »
Another vote for the 7mm-08.  Plus you might want to add a Limb Saver or Decellerator recoil pad.  They really work.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
first time hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 04:28:01 PM »
her and i are no longer going out :cry:  :cry:

too bad it could have been the perfect excuse to purchase one of the remington youth models that my local dealer just started carrying. i think they had a 700 in 7mm-08.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
first time hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 07:01:30 AM »
sry maybe things will work out for the better.........
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting