Author Topic: Ontario Black Bear  (Read 1337 times)

Offline damascusblade5

• Trade Count: (4)
Ontario Black Bear
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »
 I hunted last fall at http://auldreekielodge.com in Gowganda,Ont. Had a great hunt,the owners just bought the lodge two years ago and are putting together a great camp. The cabins are the best I have stayed in in my 5 trips to Ontario. You can get the "Bare Bones" hunt,where you cook your own meals for $840 Canadian. Includes your boat ,motor,bait,cabin and an active bait. I saw 7 bears in 4 days hunting and killed a 288# boar.My dad got a 160# sow. My wife and grandsons went along for fishing and sight seeing for a real reasonable rate. If you want an affordable bear hunt with a good chance at getting your bear,check their website and give Urs and Dianne a call. Tell them Dave sent you.
As my good friend William Lee Golden sings"Thank God For Kids"

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ontario Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 02:38:03 AM »
Hey Dave,
          I've looked at this outfitter before online and it looked good.  I have spent more time on their website after readign your review.  I would like to drive up their and have a great bear hunt.  My wife would probably go too but she is not much of a hunter.  She'd probably rather stay at the cabin and read.  Did you have any trouble getting across the border either way.  Were you able take your bear skin and meat home with you when you left?  Was that tough to get all that stuff across the border?  I'd like to hear more about this place if you would like to say more.  One thing I have learned to look at on an outfitters website is plenty of pictures of whatever I intend to hunt.  Their website was more geared towards fishing and didn't have many bears pictures.

Offline STL Cardinal Fan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ontario Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:44:27 AM »
Dave,

This is where our group of hunters are going this year, first of September. I spoke with you through email, etc., and like what I heard from you and others who have been to the lodge.

I have also spoke to many folks who have visited the Gowganda area and they all have said the same thing, plenty of game and fish.

Our group decided on this outfit after I did about 50 hours of research on Ontario lodges and outfits. I can say this much, folks better do their research when they decide to go on any big game hunt. Just because one does a ton of research on outfits, does not mean he or she will end up with a great outfitter, but the chances on a good hunt definetly increases.

I would be more than happy to share any information/knowledge about researching Ontario outfitters with any person wanting to go to Ontario bear hunting.

I have only went hunting in Ontario once, but have been to Newfoundland twice. I was very fortunate to hunt with my Newfoundland Outfitters. I learned so much about bear hunting and what hard work a guide "should do" to increase your chances on getting a big bear. I have also spent countless hours researching Ontario lodges and spoke with many different hunters. I am not claiming to be an expert on Ontario bear hunting lodges, but I am positive I can help relay some useful information.

Just in case anybody is interested in hunting Newfoundland, please visit this website: 

www.nfldadventuresltd.com

This outfit is ran by Todd and Laura Wiseman. They run an excellent camp and are fantastic people. Hunting in Newfoundland is not cheap, but it is an experience of a lifetime. You will not leave their lodge unhappy. 

yours truly,

Kenny 

Glocks are like M&M's, they both melt in your hand  8)