Author Topic: Polymer framed pistols  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Buckhammer74

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Polymer framed pistols
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »
I want to know what everyones opinions on each maker (Glock, SPR XD, S&W M&P and Sigma) is. I have heard too many bad things about Taurus to even consider the 24/7.  I would also like to know what everyones favorite caliber would be for home defense and plinking. I was seriously considering a Glock 20 In 10mm until I read that you need medium to large sized hands (I have small hands). I am not really worried about concealment as i wont be carrying it.

What would you suggest as far as maker, model, and caliber for me?

Offline mr.theman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Polymer framed pistols
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
I have a Springfield XD-45 and absolutly love it.  Fits my hand well, feels well balanced, super reliable and very accurate.  I was thinking about getting a Sigma in 9mm for a cheap plinker until I really looked at one hard, It had the worst trigger pull of any gun I have ever held, very very heavy and just felt very cheap overall.  I decided against it and am saving up a little more for an XD-9.  I have never owned a glock, have never really liked how they felt in my hand.  These are just my opinions and everybodies is different, that why they make so many different guns  ;).

Also if you are just wanting a cheap plinker and home defense gun you might look at the Hi-Point line.  They are butt ugly (IMO) but have been getting some great reveiws as far as accuracy and reliability.  They are offered in .380, 9mm, .40, and 45 acp.  They can be had for around the $150 or less mark in most cases. 

HH
SWAT

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:39:39 PM »
Ruger P345 45 ACP  Glock 22 40 S&W, XD 45, Taurus PT 1911 45ACP.I either own most of those or have shot them, all good weapons.........

Offline Wingman26

• Avid Poster
    • Wingman 26 Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:39:55 PM »
I've shot the XD, it's a nice pistol, but I've got to tell you, the S&W Military and Police model is fantastic, the ergonomics are incredibly good, it's a great pistol!   ;D  What caliber would be best for you might depend on how much experience you have with pistols, for a less experienced shooter I would recommend the 9mm, if you are more experienced a 40 S&W would be a better choice, it is a more effective caliber, but it does kick more and might be a little too much for an inexperienced shooter.

There is an excellent M&P message board:  http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

You mentioned you have small hands, the S&W M&P pistols come with 3 interchangeable backstraps, so you can select the one that fits your hand the best, and as I mentioned the M&P has the best ergonomics around!

John
Site Staff  http://mp-pistol.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
tupperware ::)
blue lives matter

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:17:18 AM »

Gee Lloyd,  I thought for sure you were gonna say "They Have No Soul".

Offline Buckhammer74

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am leaning towards the M&P right now, because of the interchangable backstraps. I have shot the XD 40 and had no problems with the recoil. I just didnt particullarly like the the way it felt in my hand. Do M&P's come in 45acp?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
got argued with on that once and you know how much I hate confrontation pal!!

Gee Lloyd,  I thought for sure you were gonna say "They Have No Soul".
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:55:47 PM »
HUMMMM, I have definite opinions on plastic.
There is NO doubt that polymer pistols can be reliable, shoot accurately and function well.
This IS probably the future as far as we can see it now.
Pretty??? I guess pretty is in the eye of the beholder--or--if we all fell in love with the same woman-etc., but--I SAY---BUT---there is something special about a metal gun.
It can be carved, colored, grinded on, worked on---made to suit. It is made to be changed to suit the mood---if that is your desire--it may not be.
I like soul and metal has more soul than polymer--IMO.
Want a bevertail?? Don't get polymer. Coatings, Carbona Blue, Case hardening, engraving, change sights, flat top, no rail, rail, improve accuracy--well the list goes on.
You can get anything you want--but--sooner or later you will want something that only steel will allow--and--sooner or later you will want a real good steel gun.
I doubt if you will ever see a polymer pistol at a BBQ.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »
There is just something about a plastic gun that does not set well with me.  I own a couple of them, but they AIN'T my favorites.............

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 07:22:55 AM »
Ugly, ugly ugly, all of 'em. That said, I guess most of them work ok or they would'nt be so popular. I can't get my fingers around the grips on most of them. I prefer revolvers anyway and so far I haven't seen a plastic revolver.I just like steel and wood.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »
I've shot Glocks and like them. I've owned a Sigma in 40 cal and liked it. It's nothing but a Glock with Smith's name on it. My wife has the SW99-45 and I hate that thing. The trigger is terrible. I hope the MP has a different set up. For an all around pistol, my next one will be a 1911 style. I don't think you can go wrong with one of those.

HWD

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 03:59:45 PM »
I have two tupperwear guns, a sigma 40 and a ruger p89 9mm, and I like the feel of both of them,  I do like my revolvers better (and I'm sure lloyd would take one custom revolver over an entire tupperwear factory) but these guns are still fun to shoot.

Getting past that.  I am a big fan of most of what you have mentioned besides the glock... they are a little too ugly, and with most having the unreinforced chamber, not my style.  Im into a little more beefy.  The trigger pull on the sigma is designed to prevent accidental (I hate using that word, more like stupid) discharges, because it has no safety, decock, or any other mechanisms to keep you from blowing off body parts.  Though it does go click, boom, and whacks a target fairly well at 30 yards. 

For style and weight distribution, the SPR XD felt a little bit better, but for the higher price, i would put the same value on the XD and the sigma.  The MP sounds good, but is a little out of my price range, I would rather buy something less expensive that I know will still fire well.  ''

The ruger P94 in 40SW is also a good gun, or the P95 or P89 in 9mm, but is another one which has a kind of large grip.  The new ruger P345 in 45auto has a different grip, which I am really fond of, and is one to lool at. 

If you are planning on putting some rounds through it, the 40SW can hit back on the hands pretty hard, especially with a composite gun with a short barrel.  The 9mm will be good for plinking, and cheap, but doesnt have all the stopping power.  Though between the three main cartridges for this in autos, the 9mm 40SW and 45auto, they all really do the trick.  I would say it depends on preference.  You were talking about your hands, so take the guns you have listed, go to your LGS, and see what fits best.  I decided I wanted a new ruger semi a while back, and when I went in, I tried out about six pistols before I found the one that felt right for me.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 12:48:15 PM »
I think they can be fun to shoot too. Theres just to many guns i want to justify buying something i dont. Ive got to admit ive never seen a bad sig or H&K and if i was to buy black those would be my choises.
blue lives matter

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
Good mention on the H&K, my buddy has the HK2000 in a 40SW, and Im jealous as all spell.  Those are really nice guns, but you do pay a little more for them.  If you dont mind paying the money, I would say an HK2000 in your select caliber would be about the best.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:56 PM »
Back too the original.
If I was looking for one I would get a 1911--should fit small hands well.
9X23 is a caliber--then shoot .38 supers.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »
I'm trying out a Walther P99 in 40 right now. I have small hands and this gun fits better than any others I looked at - XD, 1911, SW m&P, Ruger 345.  I was shopping for a 45 ACP to round out my collection, I'm mostly a revolver guy but this P99 was light and felt well - also can be found as the SW 99.  I agree the trigger is real mushy but I like the decocker feature. Just couldn't accept the idea of a glock or XD with no decocker or manual safety.

The Walther is pretty accurate, does snap a bit more than I expected with the first shot. But I've adjusted to that.

I like the corrosion resistance and light weight of polymer.
Heck I feel like I have near 357 mag performance with 4 more shots in a very compact and light weight package.

Weather hasn't let me get out and work with it as much as I'd like to so I'm still in the early stages.  The many complaints about the trigger make me wonder if I'll find it bothersome eventually.
Seems like a good modest priced defense gun.

I've got 2 9mms and I can't say I like them much. One was a war trophy P38 of my dads so I'll never part with it.  The other Tarus PT92 AF I kept as a house gun but its nearly gotten traded off several times - I bought it just before the lage magazine ban kicked in so kept it for that. If I find I really like the 40 or finally get a 45 I like, the 9 may be gone.  The 40 seems much more authoritative than the 9s.

But I'm mostly a  41 mag and 357 shooter. Hate chasin empties.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 02:40:36 AM »
SPRINGFIELD XD-9-40-OR45,Safe,Reliable,Deadly-----And 10 to 17 rounds depending on the model also a tac light rail when it is dark all in one pkg.   "not" 5 or 6 or 7 or  maby 8  from a rolodex gun. ;D

Offline CouchTater

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 07:28:17 AM »
Want a bevertail?? Don't get polymer. Coatings, Carbona Blue, Case hardening, engraving, change sights, flat top, no rail, rail, improve accuracy--well the list goes on.

Beavertail can be added. Grip can be reshaped to some extent. Frame and slide can be coated, within limits. Sights? pretty wide selection for Glocks, less so for other makes. Rail? They have 'em now. Light triggers, heavy triggers, fitted barrels, a number of other things can be done.

Dominant problem with plastic framed pistols right now is the lack of single-column designs. Pretty much all makers remain in the "monkey-see, monkey-do" mode despite a loud and persistent clamor for single column models. The gun industry remains 99% marketing and 1% engineering.

If you want a looker, steel is the only way to go. If you want a shooter, polymer is a good option if it meets your specs and you can shoot it well. Best quote I've heard on defensive handgun selection; "Your handgun should be comforting, not comfortable." If it performs as needed in an emergent situation, that beats all the gingerbread in the world.

Offline StinkyCheeze

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »
Long Term Durability is Unproven.
   I Remember in the '70's when vinyl siding was begining to be promoted as the ideal maintenance free solution in housing.  It was being promoted as "lasting a Lifetime"  :)   I have seen that it becomes brittle with age and will fail when exposed to harsh conditions...OVER TIME. 20 year old vinyl is generally ready to be replaced.  My point is that it's still too early to tell if the NEW "new polymers" plastics will be able to last.  We have seen steel and wood weapons hundreds of years old still serviceable. 
I still will depend on "old faithful"  for long term weapons durability.
Although I've been seduced into this new fashion a couple of times( Kel-Tec P3-AT & Ruger P95): I'll still demand steel for the core of my collection.

Thank You for a Fine Community!  :)
Facts do nor cease to exist
     because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley--

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »
Hummmm.
I am having a BBQ gun done. I would name it Emma Peel--I know, I date myownself--because it will be classy and deadly. Then again I think--a BBQ gun is not classy, well it is, but only in the heart of an old, cranky, westerner-- well, I digress, argueing with myownself.
I will let some of you boys teach me how to post pics when the time comes.
Then we will see if plastic can be as purty as this old fangeled metal.
Start a flame??? Heck no boys. there can only be a flame when there is a defense. ;)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »
Beware of solvents with the polys; gasoline will make tar out of most poly frames.  Most current gun cleaners are safe(NOT ALL).  check carefully before you use any cleaning solvent on a poly gun. I also prefer the steel.  Got a 75 yr old 22, still safe to shoot.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 06:42:42 AM »
Well, I don't reckon I know too much about them ol' tupperware guns, why I sat too near the campfire and darned if the ol' frame didn't melt, but thats ok, I made me a mold out of clay from down at the creek bed and poured 'er right in. Works good now, and real purty.   ;D
But seriously, my Ruger P95DC is one sweet handgun.  I wouldn't trade it. And I like steel 1911's too, I'm just open to new concepts and appreciate them if they are useful.