Author Topic: .223 or .308  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
.223 or .308
« on: November 25, 2006, 11:18:05 AM »
I am going to start shooting long range with the hope of a few rifle matches in the future.  Now the decision is between the .223 or the .308 from RRA.

Does anyone compete with theirs?

I know I want a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 (1 in 7 are rare) twist for the .223 to use the heavier bullits.  I have even heard rumor of a 1 in 6.5 might be available.

What about optics?  The gun is only 1/2 the equation.  I used to compete with .223 with iron sights but my eyes are nowhere near as good as they were 25 years ago.  What would be a decent choice in power?  Competition goes out to 600 yards.

Thanks in advance!
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: .223 or .308
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:16:55 AM »
The 223 has largely displaced the 308 in Service Rifle/ NRA high power Competition.  You did not specify what type of competition you are interested in but since you said it goes to 600 yards I will guess that service rifle/NRA highpower is what you are talking about.  The 1 in 9 twist will do fine with upto 69 grain bullets, maybe more but I haven't tried anything heavier.  The RRA in 308 wouldn't be legal for service rifle, Im not sure about NRA highpower (I haven't comepeted in a while and haven't kept track of the rules).  Also, I don't think optics are allowed in either class but as I said its been a while and I haven't kept up with the rules.  If they are allowed, I would stay at below 18X, I start to see my heart beat above that and it makes me crazy (once again you will need to experiment to see what works for you).  I would recommend if you haven't already done so that you acquire the rule book applicapble to the class you will be shooting in before you buy anything, that way you will not spend money on something that you will not be allowed to use.

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:59:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I have been a sponge lately for information on both calibers.  RRA has not really released the 308 yet and just from a cost standpoint I am going to go 223.  The ammo and components are 1/2 the money.

Yeah, I guess I am going to try to compete with iron sights but I have to play with a few sizes of them first.  My eyes are absolutely my limiting factor since I wear reading glasses everything up close is a blur.  Kind of sheds a new light on the term of a ghost ring.  I have to play with rear sight apature sizes.

This weekend I will get the chance to shoot a RRA and see if I like the sights and move on from there.  I am going to get a flat top with a rail just in case I want to varmit hunt with it.

My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:39:57 AM »
Bob_VT, A fellow I used to shoot with had a similar problem as far as the sights go.  He found an optometrist who understood shooting and he made him a lens to wear when shooting that brought his front sight into sharp focus but didn't completely blur out his rear sight.  It might be worth a try for you.  Good luck

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:41:35 AM »
Yes, a visit to the optomotrist may be in the future.  My problem is the rear sight.  Front sight posts are crisp to me it is the close up things that are blurred.  Jeff Cooper would tell me I am okay since Front Sight is the key.  My pistol skills have not deminished.... as long as I am at arms length.

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 02:39:41 PM »
UPDATE  I had a chance to shoot both a RRA and a Bushmaster today.  I favored the RRA since it had a 20" barrel and better sight picture.   I am happy to report that I can still use a peep sight without glasses.

RRA here I come

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 02:17:59 AM »
Glad to hear it worked out for you.  I think you will enjoy your RRA, they are fine rifles.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 02:04:18 AM »
With using open sights or even peep sights I notice if i focus too long at the target with the sights things to get a little out of focus.  I look away quickly and then look back to clear my vision.  I have learned to pick up the center of my target quicker and fire quicker too.  As we get older we must readjust to keep the edge sharp.