Author Topic: Sabot Casting?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline wilderness

• Trade Count: (0)
Sabot Casting?
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
I'm new to the board here so bare with me if I ask stupid questions. I have been doing alot of research about casting bullets for my muzzle loader. I would like to cast saboted bullets for my .50. The problem is I can't find a casting block for sabots. Do they exist? Where could I find one. I would like a .44/ 240 and 300 gr. mold. Any help would be greatly appre.

Offline Orygun Mark

Re: Sabot Casting?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »
I've only seen the sabots (plastic) for sale and never a mould to make them in. You can buy them in bulk and then use whatever cast or J-bullet you choose.   Mark

Offline wilderness

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:47:47 PM »
Sorry should have been a little more clear, I just want to cast the bullet not the sabot itself. I would just buy the plastic sabots for the bullet .

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »
I used to do it alot for my Knight, (I sold it and only shoot round ball now.) You don't need a special mold any pistol style cast bullet will work as long as they are .429 dia basically Keith SWCs would work well or a RNFP. Nice thing is you can use pure lead if you want, No lube or gas check required because the sabot takes care of that. I used 300gr .45 colt bullets in mine, I like big holes. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »
Oh BTW you can also buy sabots that will let you use .357/.38 pistol bullets in your .50 cal front stuffer. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:57:54 PM »
same here. Ive experimented mostly with the rcbs 300 swc and the ballistic cast 320 lfn in .45 and the 300 lyman swc and the 250 devestor hp in .44 sabots. I tended to get better accuracy in my gun using 45s and 45 sabots. Look for the knight sabots there a better made sabot and with heavy loads the grean cvas shed peddles and give dissmall accuracy.
I used to do it alot for my Knight, (I sold it and only shoot round ball now.) You don't need a special mold any pistol style cast bullet will work as long as they are .429 dia basically Keith SWCs would work well or a RNFP. Nice thing is you can use pure lead if you want, No lube or gas check required because the sabot takes care of that. I used 300gr .45 colt bullets in mine, I like big holes. 8)
blue lives matter

Offline wilderness

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:25:22 AM »
You guys hit the nail on the head, I really don't want to fool w/ gas checks or lube. My CVA tends to shoot the .44's a little better than the .45's. The biggest reason I shoot sabots instead of full bore bullets is because they do'nt perform well in my CVA.

I starded with powerbelts and I might hit a pie plate twice outta five with every grain bullet and powder you can think of. I've tried lubed lead and round ball with no such accuracy. All I have to do is drop a .44/240 or .44/300 in with 100 grns. of powder and shoot .25 groups all day.

So, what would be the best mold for my situation. And keep in mind I'm a newbee, never reloaded or casted yet. I'm not real concerned with speed of casting as much as consistancy. Thanks Chad

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
I've had real good luck with the keith style Semi wad cutter 240s but a 300gr round nose flat point will probably have a little better punch at longer ranges. I use Lee molds with good meat in the freezer results. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline wilderness

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »
I've had real good luck with the keith style Semi wad cutter 240s but a 300gr round nose flat point will probably have a little better punch at longer ranges. I use Lee molds with good meat in the freezer results. 8)

You would'nt happen to have a link or web add. too one of those molds would ya? I'd like to start molding before turkey season gets in cause we can hunt hogs on public land with a muzzlel loader then.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 04:47:12 PM »
I get mine from Midway @ www.midwayusa.com you may also want to check out Lead Bullet Technology  Veral makes wonderful molds I've seen and used a friend of mines. Go to Varals forum right under this one, He will have a much better plan than I do. Veral knows bullets he'll do you right. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline wilderness

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:38:52 PM »
I get mine from Midway @ www.midwayusa.com you may also want to check out Lead Bullet Technology  Veral makes wonderful molds I've seen and used a friend of mines. Go to Varals forum right under this one, He will have a much better plan than I do. Veral knows bullets he'll do you right. 8)

I've been looking at the ones midway has and have'nt seen one for sabots. Mabey I'm not reading right. I really want a cast kinda like the buffalo sabots. A smooth side with a bevel bottom to fit the sabots. It does'nt help that I don't know much about casting but I gotta start somewere. Should I buy a mold for a .44 pistol or do they make specific molds for sabots? Sorry for all the ? Thanks Chad

OK so I posted this on Ask Veral, thanks for all the help.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:38:16 AM »
I've personally never seen one just for sabots, I use regular pistol bullet molds. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline drags

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08:24 AM »
I have a large supply .429 kieth style bullets that are lubed can I put them in the sabots with the lube on or should I clean the lube off?
Drags

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
They'll work either way!

I've been using them for a few years and if I happen to have a few lubed bullets lying around from loading 44 Mag or 444 Marlin, I don't hesitate using them in my encore.

In order to get better accuracy, I now size my 240 grain SWC's to .427 with a Lee bullet sizer and load them with TC Mag sabots.
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »
What Chuck said. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline hcarlow

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
I am having the same problem as you with my 50 cal.cva kodiak, so I have tried many  combinations also and my cva really likes the hornady 230 grain xtp's with mmp black sabots.I can get 3/4 inch groups at 60 yds. with those and I am far from being a great shot.these are the only xtp's I have tried thus far so maybe and hopefully it will like the heavier ones also.I use both hodgdon rs and triple seven the triple seven giving me the best results at about 95 too 100 grains,the rs at 105 grains.I have tried a 214gr.cast bullet 44 cal. in a sabot with not much luck so far , I have ordered a 45 cal. Lee  mould from medway and will give that a try also.I guess this is the fun of using a muzzleloader, trying all the different combinations.I have a t/c omega and it isn't half as fussy.
Good Luck,