Author Topic: Need Some Help Guys- A Little Long Winded  (Read 380 times)

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Need Some Help Guys- A Little Long Winded
« on: February 04, 2007, 02:54:41 PM »
I have really gotten some good ideas, insight and help on this site so far. Thanks Everyone . I need some advice or help one more time. I got into reloading not to long ago and have learned as I went. I use four different rifles that I hunt with , I guess just because you have them. I have a  Sandero 7mm Remington Mag that i have gotten to shoot
1/2 " groups with , the load I have been using is Sierra 140 Grain spire points ,  Winchester cases at full length of 2.500 , over 64 grains of IMR 4831 with Federal Magnum primers. I have an old Remington 742 that I use 80% of the time and I have spent a lot of time developing a load that would group and stay consistent and I have finally done that. It will shoot 1 1/2"  groups now anytime, someone on here gave me some tips , to shave the wood off of the forearm where it touched receiver and our moderator helped because i tried his o ring theory on the upper end of forearm  where bolt holds it the receiver and not tighten bolt to hard. All of this worked ,shooting Winchester Power point 150 grain bullets, Fed LR primers over 57 grains of IMR 4350 powder, I could hardly ask it to be any better.
Now for the real help. I have tried several different loads in my .243 handi rifle. The best two which are hardly good is no. 1 that uses 42 grains of IMR 4350 with Hornady 100 gr spire pt. will hold a 2 1/2 " inch group pretty consistent , but this is not good enough for me even hunting. The no. 2 is  little better 100 gr core lokts with 41 gr of IMR 4831 powder, it will shoot 1 1/2" fairly consistent . I tried one more load today,  2 three shot groups , with about 45 seconds between the first three shots and then waited 3-4 minutes and 45 seconds between the next three shots. on the first group I thought i hit paydirt. First shot , second shot 1/2 lower, 3rd another 1/2 lower. On the second group it started where I left off on first group and went down a half inch again every shot. What am i doing wrong with this rifle , i have used the o ring, sanded out the channel in forearm, made sure latch is dry  and clean but I am not making much progress with this gun. I hav0 e put about 50-60 rounds through this gun.
Thanks for listening. Sorry it was so long.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Need Some Help Guys- A Little Long Winded
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
spot Dr.

You may want to try some IMR 4895 or some H 4895 , i have found that the faster powders work better in my superlite 243 , it shoots 1 1/4 with 31 gr. of H4895 and the 100 gr. bullets . some guys also use Varget with good results .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped