Author Topic: Leupold VX-I follies  (Read 880 times)

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold VX-I follies
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:22:15 AM »
Hi all,

I usually montor/post in the H&R/NEF forum, but thought this more relevant on the Optics board.

I had a 3x9 VX-I sitting on the shelf that I decided to put on my daughter's new 7mm-08 HandiRifle in Burris medium Signature Zee rings.  I'd most recently removed this scope from a CZ-550 .308.  Before mounting on the HR I "centered"  the scope by turning the dials to the center of their ranges of travel.

When I mounted and lasersighted the scope I had to use 15" of windage correction with the Signature inserts.  This set the windage good , BUT the crosshairs and laser converged on the laser target at 25'.  At the range I was printing ~14" high, as I expected.  I turned in -12" of elevation and was still high.  I didn't want to go any further so I decided to remount the scope.

I pulled the scope off; returned the dials to "center" and then used Leupolds mirror method of centering the crosshairs.  Now the dials are no where near center of travel, but I only had to use -5" of elevation with the inserts and -2" more on the elevation dial to get the crosshairs and laser dot properly aligned on the laser target.

Obviously, the VX-I is not a "Top Shelf" scope.  I shouldn't complain.  I won it in a drawing.

Call it karma, but I now have much more confidence in this arrangement.  I may have to feign some deathly illness so I can get back to the range. ;D
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Leupold VX-I follies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
Take heart~............sell it on SleazBay....then take that money, and add afew bucks....and get what you want!

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Leupold VX-I follies
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:38:37 AM »
I have never had a VX-I but have used three of the older VariX-II's, and have never had any trouble putting them on target even when using Ruger standard mounts or Leupold standard base and rings.  I really like these scopes and have never had a problem with them.