Author Topic: magnification changes poi  (Read 890 times)

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
magnification changes poi
« on: February 03, 2007, 11:33:01 AM »
I went testing some handloads out of my 222 yesterday. It was pretty interesting. I had a specific lot of 15 I was testing for groups. This is a cz 222   527. I was shooting 40gr v-max. Anyways, to the optics discovery,,,,
   After getting the groups to zero at 100 yards. I decided to adjust for 1 1/2 inches high at 100yds and check it for elevation on the 200 yard target. I went up 6 clicks at 1/4" each, that should have been my 1 1/2". Then in order to see the bullseye at 200 I increased the magnification from 5 to 9x. Shot 3 at 100 then 3 at the 200.
 The results;   2 1/4 high at 100yds and 4 1/2" at 200yds!!!(from where it shot first group)  Wow what a difference. I am thinking pretty strongly the magnification of the scope also elevated the point of aim.

Is this normal???
DO NOT LAUGH....... well,, not so I can here it anyway. I will tell you my scope is a magnacraft 3-9x 40mm with illum reticle and ao adjustment. I say do not laugh because my buddy gets after me awful for buying less than expensive scopes.... Does this sound normal and is it normal for cheap scopes??  Thanks for all your input.
Stupid Hurts

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: magnification changes poi
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:36:53 PM »
Your scope is a what?  And you expected to hold POI through its magnification range?  I'm not laughing, I'm shaking my head.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:24:35 PM »
All my  Leupold's hold there point of impact when I change the magnification. If your point of impact chances with a magnification change it is a scope problem.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Qaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 02:50:43 AM »
Mogley- Before you dump the scope, realize that 9x is not alot of magnification at 200yds. If you do not have a super fine reticle then the thickness will be contributing to the height because you can't hit what you can't see. If you are shooting from bags, I can see how it could be off by that much, buy or borrow one of the rests that you strap the gun in and then shoot it. It may not be as bad as you think!

Qaz

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
A changing zero with magnification changes does happen at times with individual scopes. It seems less common today than it did a few years ago. Test your rig using a good rest, the same load, and change the magnification between three shot groups using the same target. If the zero changes you'll see it.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline KN

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
You should have rechecked group zero again at 200 lowering the magnification. If it in fact came back down I would say ts the mag adjustment. I have lots of scopes that seem to "jump" when trying to adjust them. What I mean by that is it might not move as much as its supposed to one time and then finally jump more than its supposed to the next. These are generally lower end scopes. It makes zeroing a little tricky untill I get it right. Once zeroed I don't try and adjust vertically for longer distance. I just hold over accordingly.   KN

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 04:56:59 AM »
Mogley,
Take the scope off and throw it away! Start over with either a scope you know is good, or buy a new one. Bushnell Trophy's are reliable and don't move with a power change. From there go up to Burris, Nikon, Weaver, Leupold, as the budget allows. Even two older Tasco's (Japan Mfg.) 10-40X 50's didn't shift zero with power changes. I fired Groups set at 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40X one shot at each setting(7 shot group) that measured .623" in the 22-250, and .594 in the .243. Based on this with low end scopes($$) yours is usless as a variable. You could sight it at one power and never change it, or replace it.
Dave375HH

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, Down deep I know I have to invest in something better. I have been looking at clear ridge and barska. I have heard reaal good things about Barska swat scopes but I noticed they have some that are real inexpensive..... They must have good and bad like the rest. Cabelas have a scope with multiple turrests which I like the sounds of. It would be cool to just dial up the distance and shoot dead on.
I want to buy a 204 too........... and then theres taxes coming up....... I own my business so you know which way the money flows at tax time. I either have to do it or shut up and walk away.       same feeling I had when I proposed to my first wife!!  Thaks for the input.
Stupid Hurts

Offline Zachary

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:16:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies, Down deep I know I have to invest in something better. I have been looking at clear ridge and barska.

I would definately get a clearidge.  They are made in Japan (which means quality - not from China, which means crap.) and the optics have 95% light transmission - which is similar to the Nikon Monarch!  From the specs, it seems like an unbelieveable value.  I am planning on buying one myself.  Actually, I think that the opticzone is giving a special rate to GBO members.  Just make sure that you tell them that before you order it!

Zachary

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 04:04:49 PM »
I would definately get a clearidge. 
Oh Boy!
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.