Author Topic: M-1 30 Carbine Accuracy  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Pecci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
M-1 30 Carbine Accuracy
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:55:53 AM »
Have any of you shot your's for groups.?  If so, what kind of groups did you get?

Offline S.S.

Re: M-1 30 Carbine Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:19:48 AM »
A 4 - 6  inch group at 100 yards is about average. Having a scope on them doesn't decrease the spread all that much either. I have 2 of them and both are about the same. Amply accurate for it's intended purpose though.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
Have any of you shot your's for groups.?  If so, what kind of groups did you get?

A well bedded M1 Carbine with a decent barrel is capable of 2-3 MOA (10-15 shots) with quality ammo. Problem is many are not well bedded due to use and abuse during service and the accuracy capability of surplus ammo is not that good either.  As stated a decent carbine with surplus ammo is 4-6 MOA capable.

Larry Gibson

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 06:40:28 PM »
That's better than I would have guessed.  Thanks Larry!

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 03:18:13 AM »
I only shot mine enough to make sure it was sighted in and then 10 rnds for group. I got just under 2" at 50 yds. I'll have to admit I didn't use the same care I'd use with a varmint rifle, Just a quick check. I shoot it offhand all the time since. It's a fun gun, rolling cans, breaking clay birds, etc.
Dave375HH

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »
Same with mine. 2" or less at 50 yards. I take scrape chunks of 4x4 and knock them all over the place at a high rate of fire. Reactive targets are fun.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 02:05:32 PM »
In the 1960s and 1970s I owned many of these little rifles. I would have to say that I agree with the 4-6 MOA 100 yard average. Some I had could not be accurized, and I believe that had kinked barrels. Others tightened up to about 2 MOA with glass bedding of the recoil lug in the stock, using a lockwasher under te recoil lug screw, bedding the fore stock under the barrel after careful tightening and registering of the barrel band screw for the best tension delivering the best accuracy. Stuff you can not do to a collectible at the prices they command these days. Fun guns, but they certainly are second fiddle to a little 5.56x45 carbine.

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »
Mine is great for WWII three gun matches.  Fine for plinking and short (50 yd) range action shooting.

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »
Awhile ago,when they were techniclly illegal,I got one from a friend who brought it home with him from the South Pacific. I rebedded it with epoxy and got 2 inch groups at 100 yards.
When they became available from the DCM for 15 dollars,I grabbed another,and restocked it with epoxy.I also changed the bedding;drilled and tapped it where most rifles have a stock bolt,and epoxied the tang to the receiver.I threw away the barrel band,and installed a muzzle cap.The stock was a 'Mannlicher' style.I got 1 inch groups with it,using a scope.
I only get 2 inch groups now;but we are both aa lot older.
Frank
Frank

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »
Thanks Frank.

Dave and Cheesehead were your 2" groups, with sights or with a acope?

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »
Peep sights work well for the m1.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline supratriumph

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 12:51:10 AM »
Just an info note - the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is going to have M1 carbines for sale again next month. 

NEXT CARBINE UPDATE WILL BE FEBRUARY 16 - 18, 2007!! (this is from the CMP web page)

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 02:19:55 AM »

Pecci,

I haven't shot my M1 in some time!  Think the 4-6" group mentioned above is about right at 100 yards - But will take it to range with me next weekend, shoot for group and post target for you.  Been meaning to shoot it anyway - will give me a good reason!
    Ray

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 05:45:29 AM »
They ain't the best gun available, but my little carbine has taken a couple of Texas whitetails.  I hauled it around in the truck for several years to shoot dogs and coyotes.  After a gun show and seeing what they are selling for today I cleaned her and put her back in the safe.

Offline Pecci

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 06:56:45 AM »
Thanks again, guys.  Just to clear things up.  I already have one, that my father past down to me.  It is an Inland division, in V.G.-Exc condition.  It has the american eagle hand carved into the stock.  I've had it for 22yrs, but have never fired it.  It is still in perfect working order.

I bought a box at Christmas, but wonder if wolf ammo (cheap) could be used with decent results.  I'd appreciate your comments and experiences.  Thanks again!

Offline Kragman71

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:42:19 AM »
Pecci
I've only used Wolf ammo once,but I would NOT use it to decide the accuracy of any firearm.
Frank
Frank

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »
The most accurate ammo I've found is the Federal American Eagle, it's FMJ only but for plinking and small game it is fine stuff. I reload with the Speer 110 gr Varminter JHPs for more serious work but have not found any handload more accurate than the Fed AE. When accurized as Kragman describes the little carbine can hold its' own with many much heavier rifles.  I once considered getting a Marlin '94 in 32-20 but then thought  "heck, the M1 Carbine can do anything a 32-20 can do and is shorter and two pounds lighter."
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.