Author Topic: Scope: Long Eye Relief For MilSurp?  (Read 388 times)

Offline workinwifdakids

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope: Long Eye Relief For MilSurp?
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/skm44scopemount/pop.asp?graphic=graphics/l/25.jpg

What sort of eye relief do I need on a scope mounted forward of the bolt, like the one pictured in the link?  Will any old scope do fine, or do I need to find one with specific eye relief qualities?

The one mounted on the Mosin M44 above states it's a pistol scope, with optimal eye relief of 11" - 20".  I don't even know what "optimal eye relief" is.

I want 4" groups at 200 yards.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Scope: Long Eye Relief For MilSurp?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
Mounting forward of the bolt like that is a scout scope and does need a pistol scope for the much longer eye relief over a standard rifle scope. Rifle scopes have eye relief in the 2 to 5 inch area which means your eye must be that close to the scope in order to see through the scope. A pistol scope is designed to see through with your arms extended. I have a pistol scope mounted on my K31 as a scout scope and it works well.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Scope: Long Eye Relief For MilSurp?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
I agree with Val.

One thing I would add is that some pistol scopes have parallax set for shorter distances (50 yards), as opposed to scout type scopes which are designed for rifle use and generally have parallax set for 100 yards.  The Nikon Monarch 2X20 handgun scope is an exception (100 yards), there are some others.  For optimal accuracy (consistency) you might want to consider a scope set more for rifle distances to minimze the effects of parallax.  Since your goal is to shoot 4" groups at 200 yards, parallax is likely to be a significant factor. Leupold and Burris both make scout scopes, both are great - but they range in price $220-$260 (? haven't checked lately), more than many pistol scopes.  If you have a pistol scope, it wouldn't hurt to try it out and see how well you do with it.  If your cheek weld and stance is very consistent, it might work OK for you.  If accuracy is real important and you want to spend some more, I believe the results will be better with a scope designed more for that use.  Reticles might not be as thick - for better precision work, as well with the scout scopes.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.