Author Topic: Bobcat Tale  (Read 889 times)

Offline holyokster

• Trade Count: (0)
Bobcat Tale
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
Finally got about to shoot a Bobcat I bought a few years ago.  Right off the bat while firing a few caps to clear the nipple channel I had a couple of caps that didn't fire.  I cleared the nipple and inspected the interior of the hammer.  The contact area seemed centered and there appeared to be enough striking speed/force to ignite the caps.  Went from CCI to Remington caps with the same results.  I was about to pack the gun off to CVA for repair when I remembered Sam Fadala's book "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook" where he mentioned that among other things that the source of a problem could be the nipple.  The nipple I was using came with the new gun was CVA.  I switched out nipples with a stainless steel Traditions that seemed to have a slightly longer neck.  That did the trick, I got ignition on 10 caps without fail.  I still gave BPI a call because of a broken ramrod thimble.  The gentleman that took my call said no problem a new thimble was in the mail today free of charge.       

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Bobcat Tale
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »

Cool ;D

Those guys are pretty good that work in the Customer Service shop...Did you talk to him about the nipple problem while you had them on the phone...? I'm sure they would take care of that as well...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline holyokster

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:53:10 AM »
I did e-mail BPI with the problem I encountered with the standard nipple they provide.  I don't expect a reply, it was FYI letter.  I think they have long been aware of the problem with their standard nipple which is why they sell their optional "Perfect Nipple" and Ol" Reliable replacement nipples.  To those of you who who have the standard nipple BPI provides and it works for you, great. From now on, I will use a better nipple.  They only cost a few bucks, cheap insurance for reliable ignition.  As you said, Kudos to
the customer service people at BPI for sending me the new ramrod thimble free of charge, no questions asked.

'

Offline holyokster

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
BPI came thru as promised.  I received a replacement thimble.  It is steel and not plastic that was originally on the rifle.  Good going BPI!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »

Super...Those guys are on top of it ;D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...