Author Topic: Ed McGivern - Fast and Fancy  (Read 734 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Ed McGivern - Fast and Fancy
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
I finally got a copy of Ed McGivern's book on Fast and Fancy revolver shooting. The guy wasn't an entertaining writer, like, say, Peter Capstick, but the guy had a lot of good knowledge that he shares in that book. It's very thorough, very detailed, and quite long considering the subject matter. It's worth a read, but it's not fun to read.
Safety first

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Fast and Fancy - Ed was unique for sure.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:43:51 AM »
Just think, that was cutting edge at one time!  The old fellow was pretty impressive for sure.

Offline Dale53

Re: Ed McGivern - Fast and Fancy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 07:41:53 PM »
Ed McGiverns book is a text book. Years ago, I followed his instructions on shooting objects tossed in the air and after some practice (all right, a LOT of practice ;D) I learned to hit a small orange juice can 3 out of 5 times when tossed in the air with my right hand, draw a single action, and fire (I'm right handed). That is a pretty dern good feat and his instructions made it possible.

I also did some long range handgunning after reading what Elmer Keith and Ed McGivern had to say. Really satisfying making hits "way-y-y out there" (of course, this was years before handgun silhouette made long distance hand gunning commonplace).

Dale53

Offline 454PB

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »
Funny thing about both Elmer Keith and Ed McGivern.......

They both lived in Montana, McGivern in Lewistown and Elmer was raised in Helena, where I live. Also, they were both rather short in stature, and shared a droll (matter of fact) manner of writing. It seemed to me they considered themselves more teachers than gun writers.

Offline Dale53

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »
I met Elmer Keith a number of years ago a couple of times. I have Ed McGivern's book but never met him. However, both these good people were honest experimenters and fairly described their feats, and feats they were. I worked at several of the "tasks" and was really impressed by how I was able to improve my shooting results by following their leads.

I am talking particularly revolvers at "long range" (that is 200 yards for me) and hitting moving targets with a revolver.

454PB, I agree that these fellows were not so much gun writers but wanted to share their knowledge with other shooters. Having said that, Elmer wrote a lot of articles and I have no doubt that he seriously supplemented his income with his writing.

Dale53

Offline 454PB

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 05:48:35 PM »
I've heard it said the Elmer just never thought anyone would doubt his stories. He wrote so matter-of-factly, I believe that was true. He sure took a lot of flak about some of his ideas, but most of his ideas are considered basic rules now. I've read everything he wrote about handguns, most of what he wrote about rifles, but none of his shotgunning (not my thing). He'd sure tell me to quit using cast boolits wearing gas checks :o

I bought his last book "Hell I Was There", and sent the cover to him in Salmon asking for his autograph, which he signed and mailed back to me in the SASE envelope I sent him. This happened not long before his disabling stroke and eventual decline. I wish I had taken the trouble to visit him, but although I was in Salmon several times before he died, I couldn't work up the nerve to bother him. I've read others say he welcomed uninvited guests.

He was a true legend, and I would sure like to hear his thoughts on some of the modern hand cannons and short magnum rifles we have.