Author Topic: Which handgun for first timer!! Buckmark Won!  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Which handgun for first timer!! Buckmark Won!
« on: February 13, 2007, 12:51:10 PM »
I know this has come up before on this forum...But I wasn't looking into buying a pistol and wasn't visiting here, then.

I have NEVER FIRED a handgun before.  I want to purchase a handgun and get qualified for CC.  What is your recommendation.  I have looked at 22 Rugers, S&W, Walther, Taurus and a couple others.  Both revolvers and semi-auto.  I have also done some reading about the 32 H&R Mag.  Other considerations are the Ruger P95, Taurus 24/7 in 9mm.  357 Mag is also being considered(recoil ??).   Thanks to all who post and apologies for GOIN' HERE AGAIN.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Will_C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Which handgun for first timer!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:10:54 PM »
I was in the same position as you a year ago. despite a lifetime of shooting and hunting, I never owned a handgun. I acquired my pistol permit (quite a process here in NY), and bought a Browning Buckmark .22. After a couple of months, I bought a S+W 686 .357 magnum. I am glad I bought the .22, as I ran 1,000 rounds through it getting the feel of a handgun. I think this is a good combination for a begining handgunner.  You certainly can pick from any number of quality guns.
Will

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 01:54:44 PM »
A good .22 is always good for a first handgun to get accustomed to shooting one, but is not much use for concealed carry. I normally recommend a good 3" or 4" revolver in .38 spl or .357 mag. You can shoot .38's in the .357 for practice without too much recoil and switch to .357 for defense. Revolvers almost never fail and no dis-assembly required for cleaning.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »
CM

Got to go with greenjeans on this one , as far as a good 3" or 4" 357 mag. , use 38 spl. for the practice ammo and then go with the full power mags to use as carry rounds . If you can find a 4" Ruger Security Six at a deasent price , grab it and you will not need to look many more .

I have a 6" that will be with me till the day i die .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
Put me down for the .357 Mag in a 3 or 4 inch gun. Start out with 38's and get proficient with it. When you feel comfortable and proficient with the 38 specials,  move up to the 357 Mag. I like a good revolver as a CCW.  Just remember keep it simple.  ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »
I would pick a .357 just because you have the choice between the .38 and the .357, but really, who is saying you have to shoot the .357?   The .38 is a perfectly good proteciton round in itself.  If you are looking for low recoil, also take a look at some .380 and .32 autos, such as the keltecs and ppks.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
The .22 LR is the best place to start due to the fact you state that you're new to handguns. Cheap ammo will give you more trigger time. Buy a quality revolver or auto which ever you prefer to use when you get a CCW. The .22 can be sold or traded when you move up(I bet you'll keep it).
Dave375HH

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 08:43:49 AM »
I've been listening...also browsing.  I really like the looks of the Taurus 94's in .22.  Any recommendations as to 22 or 22Mag and also as to barrel length.  I am partial to the 4" barrels, but the thought of a 9 shot revolver with a 2" barrel and short grips is appealing also.  What d ya think??

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline northjdr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:55 AM »
Be careful. Once you get your first handgun, others will soon follow. My first pistol was a 22lr, then a 9mm, then a 44mag.. all in the last year. 22lr pistols are just plain fun to shoot and inexpensive as well so I would start there. I happen to have a S&W 22a which I put a red dot scope on, but a Ruger or Browning semi-autos are all good choices. My S&W had quite a few missfeeds at first, but operates almost flawlessly now that I've put 1000 rounds through it and found the ammo it likes. For what it's worth, I went with a 44mag(Ruger Super Redhawk) because I primarly wanted 100yard deer gun and ballisticlly the .44 packs much more killing power than the .357. I reload my ammo so I can use lighter .44 loads for plinking and targets and heaveir for deer. I can make a .44 very pleasant to shoot. I guess it al depends on what you want to do with it. 
Inches make champions.

Vince Lombardi

Offline northjdr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 10:25:56 AM »
As to the barrel length, once again, it depends on what you want to do with it. I like my 5 1/2 inch barrrel becuase i can accurately shoot squirrels @ 25 yards. I guess a short barreled 22 dones't make sense to me. It's really too underpowered to be an effective carry gun, and it's not going to give you the accuracy you would need for varmint hunting or target shooting. Just my opinion. Having said that, I'd rather have any gun (provided it's safe) than no gun.
Inches make champions.

Vince Lombardi

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 11:35:48 AM »
I may get squirrely and jump on a P95 Ruger that Gander has on sale....That's my second choice.  I think I could get proficient with it fairly quickly and it would be good CC also.  But, like everyone has said, .22 shells are half the price...that's a lot of shootin' and what its all about.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline sherpa

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 02:58:37 PM »
i have the taurus  9422 and liked it so much i bought the 941 .22mag i have not had a chance to shoot the mag yet.
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
Cookieman - start with a 22 and work up from there.  A good 22 will be with you for many, many years.  You should be able to learn to shoot as well as you can with a good 22. 

Concealed carry usually calls for a larger caliber.  A good 357 will suffice and provides the added benefit of being able to use the full spectrum of 38 Spl loads, from wadcutter target rounds to +Ps for defense. 

Later, after familiarity and practice you may want something else, then something else after that and on and on and on..............It's a wonderful thing.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 04:56:58 PM »
start with the 22-I have a Browning buck mark and it is a great pistol to learn.
Consider next the Ruger P95 since, it is built like a tank, I never had a jam in 2 years of shooting with any kind of ammo, is as or more accurate as most autos and it is inexpensive.
Also, remember if it doesn't "fit" comfortability in your hand don't buy the pistol.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »
if its your first gun id definatly recomend a ruger single six .22. Its going to take quite a bit of ammo for you to become a competant handgun shooter and to many people who buy 357s and other centerfires buy them shoot the snot out of them for a couple weeks and then peter out on it because its so expensive to buy ammo. But a .22 and shoot a couple thousand rounds through it and come back and ask again because i know by then youll be hooked!!
blue lives matter

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 12:35:02 AM »
Lloyd, I have a Single six and it is a blast to shoot and yes I can shoot it all day for under $10.00. I know I recommended a .357 mag and use .38 specials. But a good used .22 Single six can be bought at a great price and still give years of shooting enjoyment. And if you decide you like the single action and are use to the grip and action, a step up to a .357 in a new  Ruger Blackhawk would be a easy transition.

Plus Lloyd likes single action shooters. LOL  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 01:44:29 AM »
redhawk i own and shot as many double actions as i do single actions (but dont tell anyone) and if you want my honest opionion if money is no object id say to find a nice 4 or 6 inch double action smith and wesson .22. There consistantly more accurate then a single six. The trigger pull is a giant step up in quality and a guy can use it to learn to shoot double action down the line if he wants. Plus resale is a little better then a single six. the market is flooded with used single sixes for cheap and another recomendation id leave here is that if you want a single six buy a used one. They are vertually indistructable and youll save yourself at least a hundred bucks and ive seen them for 1/2 the price of a new one.
blue lives matter

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 10:57:19 AM »
It may be all over for me.  I was at 2 stores today and found NO USED 22's.  I DID find, at each store, at model 94 Taurus 22 in 4".  It may be all over...they fit my hand so well and almost felt like they grew there. :D  The first was brushed nickle or stainless, the 2nd was a polished stainless or nickle.  SWEET !  I really liked em both.  Gotta think on it a day or 2 more. 
Keep talkin' guys.  I'm still listening.  Thanks

cookiemann

Still reading, too.  I just finished some reading on the Taurus Handgun Forum....Dang....Now I gotta re-think everything.  Don't want to get stuck with a BAD Taurus for my first handgun.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Re: Which handgun for first timer!!(Buckmark Won)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »
Wasn't plannin' on buying it today....Well, you ALL know how that goes. ;D
A new Buckmark now resides in my closet.  I got the Micro Standard w/4" barrel.  Must be a special model as it has the standard grips, not the URX GRIPS.  I don't mind, it fits my hand well and feels comfortable.
When the gentleman found that I had never fired a handgun before, he took my back to the "test fire" area at the back of the machine shop and let me fire the Taurus D/A revolver and the Buckmark.  Buckmark won "No Contest".  I just plain liked it better and IT FELT GOOD in my hand.  I don't know if I paid too much or not $266 and change OTD.  It was the best value I had seen and at least $100 less than any of the revolvers I had looked at.  There has been no selection of USED firearms to choose from in .22 cal.  Only in the larger caliber pistols and I'm just not ready for those yet.  I am happy with my choice and very anxious to get to the range to shoot it.
Thanks to all of you for the advice and recommendations.  It helped a lot.  Only 2 things left to do...Tell the CFO ;) and SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Dusty Miller

Re: Which handgun for first timer!! Buckmark Won!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »
If you're happy with it then just boogie on and enjoy your gun.  Keep that one, don't trade it in 'cuz its great for kids and grandkids. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 05:48:24 AM »
that Ruger P95 should be next................. :D

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 07:48:43 AM »
I am kinda thinkin' that way too.  P95 would be good CC gun.  And the Buckmark is a good practice gun for that.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 07:53:32 AM »
P95 was   my first ceneterfire auto, very accurate, never had one failure of any kind.............

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 07:58:33 AM »
I have a friend with a P95 and he is very pleased with it.  He shoots at the range a lot and shoots the cheap stuff from Walmart.  No problems...that is his CC gun and I am sure we will be hooking up at the range soon.  I will get to fire it and then it will be all over. ;D  Already saving for #2
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"