Author Topic: .357 Mag. barrel break-in?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.357 Mag. barrel break-in?
« on: May 06, 2003, 03:48:26 AM »
I own a .357 Mag. Ruger GP-100, in stainless steel with a 6" barrel. I'm wondering if there's a barrel "break-in" period for it.

I've shot 6 or 7 different loads with a Hornady 125gr. Jacketed Hollow Point bullet and can't seem to obtain "acceptable" accuracy, at 25 yards. I'm shooting from a bench rest, taking my time, using sand bags, on calm days, etc. etc. However, I'm not able to get less than 2" groups with this handgun.

I don't think that I'm expecting too much from this weapon, as I used to own a Ruger Security Six and it would shoot touching holes at 40 yards.

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 05:10:52 AM »
Try heavier bullets.  My 6" GP will not get acceptable accuracy with 125s either, but does fine with 158s.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 04:26:00 PM »
My GP has a 4" barrel and it shoots the 158 gr bullets very well.  I did two things that made this gun get much better groups for me.  I changed the trigger spring and got the pull down to about 3.5 lbs in single action.  I also bought a new sight from Ruger for about $11 that is made like the SRH sights with the Red nylon insert.  This sight works much better for me.

Good Luck.

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 05:08:27 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions, gentlemen. I'll be trying some 158gr. Jacketed Hollow Points for my next reloads.

A friend of mine suggested a good load for the 158gr. bullet weight to be used for deer hunting too. He also has a "jig" for cutting an "X" into the lead nose and about 1/16" into the copper jacket, with a jeweler's saw. His reloads will nearly cut an adult groundhog in half with this bullet. However, it would not be recommended for deer or wild boar.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein