Author Topic: Rock River AR-15  (Read 1124 times)

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Rock River AR-15
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:49:07 PM »
I am considering purcasing a Rock River AR-15, specifically one of their varmint series.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  They seem to receive high praise, but it's 1,000$, and a near 2 month wait, so I'd appreciate some input.  Thanks.

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Rock River AR-15
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »
I have played with a RR NM A4 and I also played with a Bushmaster and a DPMS.  Well they were all 20" barrel's and none of them "varmint" and I fell in love with the RR.  Hands down best fit and finish and superior trigger.   I want to shoot in rifle matches again and the RR Nat's Match A-4 fits my needs.  I could always strip off the handle and mount a scope on the rail for varmints.

The short story is I ordered one.  I did not need to re-invent the wheel and buy an AR that would need attention to tune it up from day one.  It is due in anytime now.  I also hit a gun show this past weekend and saw quite a bit of AR stuff and AR Junk out there. 
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:09:51 PM »
Thanks, I had read all kinds of good stuff about them, but hearing from an actual owner is nice.  If I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to have a nicely finished piece.  The factory said the varmint triggers are about 1/2 to 1 pound lighter than the NM triggers, so I guess it should be pretty good.

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
If you are going to shoot in any matches...... you need to stay in the a2 or a4 confiuration.  That was the reason I went A4
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »
Bob Vt, the biggest reason I am getting one is that I am getting worried about the results of our next election.  I remember what a pain the last gun-ban president made of himself, and I fear it may be worse next time. The dealer I will be getting it through did order a NM for stock, and it will be in long before mine, so I will have the opportunity to handle it.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »
I just put a RRA coyote rifle on Layaway Saterday.. Can't wait to get it paid off.  After looking at Bushmaster and others I went with the RRA because, I know two other shooters that have them.They can't say enough good about them..It will be used for Coyote and Grounghogs.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »
Everyone I have talked to is saying good things.  The fact they also won the DEA and ATF contract for the next 5 years says alot to me too.

Offline allenr

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »
I have one and I love it and hate it. I love it cause it is extremely accurate(1/2" groups most days, 1 jagged hole on good days) and krazy reliable. I hate it cause it is heavier than my f-350. (almost). Since I got my 6.8 Stag arms middy, I hardly ever use the RRA because of it's weight. Thing is the 6.8 only shoots 1.5" groups but is easy to handle. My 7" pistol is almost finished so the 6.8 will soon get a well deserved rest.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 10:57:05 AM »
allenr, Thanks for the input on the accuracy of yours, it will probably be just a range playtoy for the most part, so the weight may not bother me as much.   Also 2 of my favorite rifles weigh 10 lbs.  (416 Rigby). and 11-1/2 lbs. ( Sharps replica), so even one of these AR's will seem like alightweight!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »
I have the 24" Varmiter version. It is a VERY accurate rifle. Bolt guns are my main passion (in guns that is), but I sold my 223 bolt guns, if that gives you an idea. I think the Bushmaster is great, but I read up on these 2 for a while & I believe the RRA has a wee bit better barrel & they guarantee 3/4" groups. Mine does better & if I had it to do over again, I would do the same!!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
Thanks, all the positive replies makes me happier about getting one!  I do believe it will be one of the shorter varminters, as I like the looks of the shorter forend.