Author Topic: Again, with the Walker...  (Read 701 times)

Offline doctundra

• Trade Count: (0)
Again, with the Walker...
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
(from another cool site; author is a known Walkaholic)

Well, this is neither gunsmithing or leatherwork, but quite possibly just a tremendously dorky idea.

Been shooting the Uberti Walker with a full 60gr, and have reflected that the Flying Loading Lever might be a hindrance while in Comanchetown.  Read that folks have used rawhide thong, twist-ties from a bread bag, electrician's tape, and whatever to solve the problem, or have filed a sharp step in the spring for a more positive latch.

The prototype shown following has probably been done before.  But not by me, so I thought it was my idea because it bears my hallmarks of scrap materials and amateurish workmanship.  It is a kind of "keeper" for the Walker loading lever.  The wife thought it looked like a suede watch fob, and thus it is now the "Walker Fob" :

And in use:

The Walker Fob slips (though a very tight fit) over the front of the barrel, and it suitable for Olde West decoration with trade beads, porcupine quills, brands, or the dried ears of enemies.  I have used the base of a 56-50 Spencer case, even though it is not correct, because I can't do beadwork, am afraid of porcupines, and have no enemies.

The suede will likely stretch into uselessness over time, but it was all I had.  Maybe I'll go to Tandy and get a scrap of stouter stuff.  Because Tandy is in a mall and I dislike the sort of folk who sometimes haunt there in the informal retailing of drugs, it may be possible to get a decorative ear for drying, too.

The Fob will not - maybe - interfere with drawing or holstering if the user applies the "fob flip", a deft slight toss of the wrist to wrap the leather around the barrel.

Will the Fob catch on?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Again, with the Walker...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 02:16:28 PM »
but is IS a cool idea and looks good... holstering could be an issue, but so is the flying lever

Offline doctundra

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:16:53 AM »
Thank you, Rikk, for your vote of confidence - I see we have the same fine esthetic sense ;)

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:14:59 AM »
Hey, what a cool idea, gives the Walker a bit of flair.

Offline doctundra

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »
Thanks, Will.  I myself am undecided.  I really gotta get up to the mall & get an ear...
mebbe with rings & piercings...