Author Topic: Curious About USH-12ga.????  (Read 590 times)

Offline st8tman

• Trade Count: (0)
Curious About USH-12ga.????
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
I saw a post somewhere on the net the other day referencing the H&R USH, for some reason I just could not get it off my mind. Anyway I have read through about thirty pages of this board and the information available is quite impressive to say the least. While I realize each gun is an individual and "likes" different rounds, overall are the 12ga USH shooting 2 3/4" or 3" shells? Also what scope rings are a nice match to the factory supplied base??? One last question.....does a hammer spur come with these guns in case they are required for scope clearance? I ask these questions, because I am getting ready to go on a Spring bear hunt in Canada, and the hassle of getting powder and caps after arrival(flying) is one PIA I really don't think I'll tackle. Besides 35 years ago I began my hunting career with a 20ga single barrell and returning to that kinda excites me. At least thats my story to the wife....and I'm sticking to it! Any help answering my questions appreciated. Thank You for Your Time.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Curious About USH-12ga.????
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:29:42 AM »
I saw a post somewhere on the net the other day referencing the H&R USH, for some reason I just could not get it off my mind. Anyway I have read through about thirty pages of this board and the information available is quite impressive to say the least. While I realize each gun is an individual and "likes" different rounds, overall are the 12ga USH shooting 2 3/4" or 3" shells?The answer is both when available. The barrels as you probably know are rifled and work well with saboted slugs. Also what scope rings are a nice match to the factory supplied base??? Any rings that are weaver style will work. Some are partial to Burris Zee RingsOne last question.....does a hammer spur come with these guns in case they are required for scope clearance?Yes, the new USH is shipped with a hammer spur to aid in hammer access with a scope mounted I ask these questions, because I am getting ready to go on a Spring bear hunt in Canada, and the hassle of getting powder and caps after arrival(flying) is one PIA I really don't think I'll tackle. Besides 35 years ago I began my hunting career with a 20ga single barrell and returning to that kinda excites me. At least thats my story to the wife....and I'm sticking to it! Any help answering my questions appreciated. Thank You for Your Time.The USH in 12 ga. is fairly heavy to lug around if you have any amount of walking to do. It is not unruly but is quite a bit of weight. For stand hunting it is great but a shooting rest will make the day on a longer shot.

Offline st8tman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
Carbineman,
                  Thank you for the reply. I had a chance to go check out an USH at the local shop today; it was a deluxe hunter with the laminate stock. Unfortunately it was already sold and waiting to be picked up. The shop owner wasn't available, but I think I will order up Monday AM. I have a Leupold 1-4x20mm I took off a muzzleloader, think it will fit this job about perfect. Would love to hear from others about 2 3/4" vs. 3" saboted slugs for this weapon, as it very well may narrow my initial test ammo somewhat. Also wondered if the sling swivels that come on it are complete "hole throughs" . Thought about cutting the sling attachments off and utilizing quick detach swivels with upgraded sling. I wonder if I could get away with low rings for the small "Leupy"? Thanks again!

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
I have the high rings on my Tracker II, and the swivel studs on the stock are complete hole thru studs. I have 1.5-5x20mm Vari X III's on my handi and my Tracker. I like the scopes but use the high rings. You might be able to get by with medium rings, and your Leupy should work fine as it is basically the same size as the III's are. I'll post a pic if I can of my set up.

Offline GLC

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 04:19:13 PM »
I've got Warne medium height rings on my USH with a Nikon Prostaff 2X7X32 scope and it sits low, just clearing the hammer. 

Remington Copper solids shoot great out of mine, I've cloverleafed a few groups at 100 yards with them. 

Buckhammers shoot well but really kick HARD. 

I bought mine last year in September and only had a chance to shoot one deer with it.  About 50 yards, broadside, through the heart and only ran about 25 yards before falling over. 

They are really awesome slug guns. 
Marlin Firearms- Only the best leverguns