Author Topic: Extractor to Ejector conversion  (Read 1155 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Extractor to Ejector conversion
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:25:58 PM »
Did some comparing of an ejector and 2nd generation extractor underlug today, it wouldn't take too much change to convert an extractor barrel to an ejector! The slot in the bottom of the extractor underlug would need to be lengthened either by grinding or drilling and grinding and two cross pin holes drilled. This wouldn't be something everyone would want to do, but those that are DIY types should be able to do it. Then installing the ejector components which are the ejector latch $3.09, latch spring $1.20, ejector spring $1.20, and also a lift button for a rimless cartridge which would require drilling a hole, and of course the appropriate  ejector itself which will be $6.18 or $9.01 depending on caliber. The existing roll pins would be used.

Tim

Extractor top, Ejector bottom

Hole that needs to be drilled for rimless caliber and finished length of slot
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Re: Extractor to Ejector conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »
Tim.
That looks like a doable project. So long you can get all the parts. I would suggest
to make a full size drawing with all the parts in place.

Then make a template with all the pin holes with a sliding ejector and a finger operated lifter. This would make sure the new drilled holes be in the excact place.

The template would be made from the drawing and later when all things work on the mock up the template be clamped to the under lug and the holes drilled.

Really I am not sure how well it would work? Any mods should be made with the reinstatement of the extractor in mind.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:08:12 PM »
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone figured out the conversion. I also had a feeling that either Quick or Fred would be there among the first to develop a plan of attack to make the conversion. Thanks!!! Now to have someone do the first one and see how it works or if there are any small problems to be solved. One proble, I feel may be there is leaving enough material intact to drill the hole that holds the lifter button when the slot is lengthend....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
Fred,

I would use an ejector underlug for a pattern, the hole for the large latch trip roll pin is in the identical same spot on both underlug types, so it wouldn't be hard to make a template and use it to index off of for the other 2 holes.

MSP,

I think that wouldn't be too hard, I would drill several holes, then grind the area tween the holes with a dremel leaving enough material for the lifter button hole in the rear most hole which would be centered where the lifter button needs to be.  Drilling a series of holes would save a lot of grinding, the underlug being soft does have some advantages in that it's easy to work with!!  ;)

Tim

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:50:11 PM »
Andy
I don’t have an extractor barrel; I would have a hard time getting all the parts. Besides Tim got it under control so all I will do is help with some thoughts if I can. I knew all along that it could be done.

I got two old Ruger #1's that need revamping and the 243 will get to be a 7x57. The used factory barrel is on its way.

The last one a 257Roberts I got is so beautiful I might just hang it on the wall.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »
The last one a 257Roberts I got is so beautiful I might just hang it on the wall.

Yeah, right, sure you will!!!! ;D :o ;D

Tim

Offline dave hall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • The Great .458
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:40:49 PM »
I wish my (45-70) now a 45-90  ;D had an ejector instead of an extractor.Dave
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 06:02:42 AM »
Dave Hall.
If some enterprising handyman or gunsmith would do the conversion including all new parts and laboror, you would be hard pressed to get it done under $100 me thinks.

On the new frames with the extractor they might have removed the lumps to trigger the ejector. In that case it would become quite a job.

I have never seen an extractor rifle, so I don't know.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 06:14:40 AM »
Dave, you haven't lived until you've been hit right between the eyes with a spent .45-90!

;D ;D
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 06:32:29 AM »
Or a spent .45-120 3¼"!!!! Mine became an extractor before I even shot it, I didn't care to loose or damage any of the $2 brass.

Fred, the frames are the same, all changes were made to the underlug and ejector/extractor itself. Heh heh, I had two barrels torn apart on my bench at the same time, put an extractor in and ejector barrel, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work until I noticed I had picked up the wrong one. The extractor doesn't have the step in it near the post, it's just flat where the flat spring is.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,105864.msg1098299917.html#msg1098299917

Offline dave hall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • The Great .458
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 01:21:36 PM »
A friend of my got hit in the neck when I ejected a 45-70 out of one of the old ones. 8)He likes the new extractor idea.I just like watching the guys with Doubles break them open and that big brass comes flying out.My 90 I have to pick out by hand. ::)What can you do. ???Dave
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 03:54:38 PM »
Hi Tim, regarding your following statement: "The extractor doesn't have the step in it near the post, it's just flat where the flat spring is." Is the extractor a bit longer than the ejector also? I just got what is supposed to be a .223 Ejector from H&R but there is no step in it near the post and it is a bit longer than other of my ejectors I have now, could it be a .223 extractor? It is supposed to be an ejector for a 2004 .223 but it does not appear to be....<><.... ???
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »
As a matter of fact, now that you make me think a bit, the extractor is a tad longer, about 1/8" if I remember correctly, that would also mean that a spacer would be required when installing an ejector when converting. ;)

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:35 AM »
Thanks Quick, that pretty well confirms what I had suspected, they sent me a .223 extractor not an ejector. I had thought so when I saw it was of a similar thickness almost the entire length and there was no "step" near the post. By the way, the longer extractor did fit into the ejector cutout in the barrel lug and with the excepyion of snapping out the shell it was able to compress the ejector spring enouh to fit in and for the barrel to close on the frame. The extra length was about the same as the diameter of a BB (.177) which many here have placed between the spring and the ejector to increase ejector force in our "shade tree" gunsmithing endeavors. It did however not eject or extract the shell. There may have been other problems though, the ejector latch spring that goes between the ejector button and the ejector latch on this particular barrel apperas to have either been replaced with the improper spring or most likely by the looks of the barrel manfuctured with a defective spring. I will order another spring when I attempt again to get the proper ejector. It had been said the third try never fails, I hope that is true since this is the third try to get the proper .223 ejector for this barrel....<><.... ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 05:33:06 AM »
Good luck MSP, Ironduke2 told me in a pm that Jen told him there are 4 different ejector post thcknesses, something else to deal with!! :-\

Tim