Author Topic: Choke tube selection for NEF/HR1871 single shot barrels  (Read 1389 times)

Offline tubaman

• Trade Count: (0)
Choke tube selection for NEF/HR1871 single shot barrels
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
I see a lot more choke tubes selections than I knew of a year ago.  Some seem fairly similar, especially in the 12 gage.  Any opinions/likes/dislikes about any out of this selection, especially the 12 gage?  Like any of the extended tubes?  Patterning observations?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Choke tube selection for NEF/HR1871 single shot barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »
I personally do not like the H&R/NEF choke tubes and get rid of them as soon as I get a gun. I replace
them with a good aftermarket choke tube or any of the Win-Browning-Mossberg choke tubes. Whoever
is (or was) making choke tubes for H&R/NEF should find another job!!!....<><.... >:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline zapper223

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
                Im not trying to hijack this thread. But can someone tell me what other brand choke tubes will work in the H&R single shot 10 ga. I was told by a guy that the browning tubes will fit. Is this correct ? I just dont want to order one and find out it won't work.
                                                                                  Thanks,
                                                                                  zapper
U.S. Navy SubForce,Stonewall Jackson,SSBN 634. 1991-1997    
                                The day I quit learning will be my last day on this earth

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:20:12 PM »
I like Carlson's choke tubes. I don't know what you want to use your gun for, but the light modified extended (sporting clays) tube has become my "go to" choke. I use it for backyard trap, sporting clays (one choke for the whole course) and grouse hunting. Check these folks out.

http://www.carlsonschokes.com/

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »
Here is a list I believe is complete and accurate. Perhaps Quick you can add it to the FAQ's for us but please add which Browning choke style fits and which does not ....<><.... :)

H & R 1871/N.E.F. 12 gauge: interchanges with Win-Brn-Moss style.

H & R 1871/N.E.F. 20 gauge: interchanges with Win-Brn-Moss style.

H & R 1871/N.E.F. 10 gauge: interchanges with Browning Invector 10 gauge.

H & R 1871 Pardner Pump 12 gauge: interchanges with Win-Brn-Moss style

H & R 1871 Excell Auto 5 12 gauge: interchanges with Verona SX style.

here is another good source for choke tubes: http://www.trulockchokes.com/

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »
While we are on this topic, I have posted in the classifieds and am looking for some choke tubes for a friend. Perhaps someone here has upgraded from the factory H&R tubes and has his old factory tubes left over that I could buy for a friend of mine? His gun came with tubes that don't fit so even the H&R's would be better than nothing so he could shoot it. If so please PM me, I want to buy him some choke tubes, Thanks....<><.... :)

Offline tubaman

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »
MSP and DW,

Thanks for the input. I had a chance to try one of the Win-Brn-Moss style of a friend who has a Moss pump.  He thought he bought it as a Carlson at one of the Farm-Fleet stores.  It threaded in fine in my NEF, the only thing is it went down so far (it was a flush tube) that it left better than 1/8 inch of the barrel up past the top of the tube. My fear was that you could accidentally bang the end of the barrel and basically "Lock" the tube in....kinda like pinging the edge over on top of the tube edge.  It fits just a tad inside of the barrel on his Moss...so maybe my NEF is cut deep?

So I think I would like to know which of any style of extender tube any one on the forum has tried, as that makes me a little shy of the flush style.  Has anyone else noticed the flush style going in too far?  How many Manufacturers make the Win-Brn-Moss style?

Also that brings to mind...what if an extender bottoms out on the top outside of the barrel but does not meet the matching recess inside...leaving a gap.  What should the cut depth be on a choke tube system for the NEF....anyone measure? (I know it does not look easy to take that measurement.)

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:24 AM »
I don't think you'd have a problem with the flush mount chokes, you'd have to REALLY smack the end of the barrel to get the tube stuck. I'm shooting a Carlson's extended choke on my NEF 20ga, it fits just fine.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline tnekkc

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:59:15 AM »
As I have stated in the past, I reamed and tapped my NEF 12 ga barrel for RemChokes.
I already had lots of Remchokes lying around.