Author Topic: 22-250 sb2  (Read 596 times)

Offline bullcoon

• Trade Count: (0)
22-250 sb2
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:37:41 AM »
l have this 22-250 nef that has everything known to man down to it that l can think off?yet l still cant get a decent group that doesnt look like a roadmap to the universe,and the barrel has very few rounds through it,can anyone tell me what they have done to retify thier  problems with accuracy and what weight of bullet they were using?

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: 22-250 sb2
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:07:41 AM »
Mine was shooting the 40 gr. BT's very well with IMR 4064 until it shot loose. I was getting 1/2" at 100 yds. and then it shot loose on the frame and accurcy went to pot. It did'nt like factory ammo at all.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:11:21 AM »
Wlecome to GBO, bullcoon! ;) Please read the FAQs and Help sticky info, if the rifle hasn't been shot a lot, you may just need to shoot it some more to break the bore in good, try different ammo, my .22-250 H&R doesn't like the UMC ammo, it's the only factory ammo I've shot in it, if I judged its accuracy by it, I would have been disappointed, but it shoots handloads <1". ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:01:53 AM »
welcome Bullcoon , just about everyone of my Handi's have needed about 100 or so rounds down the pipe before they would start to group well , with the exception of my 223 that was a tack driver right out of the box .

I got a 22-250 for CHRISTmas and have just started to shoot it but an still getting >1" @ 100 yrds with my handloads , hope to have it down to 1/2" by groundhog season .

What are some of the things that you have done to the rifle ? also be sure to check the FAQs for lots of ideas to improve your groups .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bullcoon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
this is actually my friends rifle,the barrel is clean and has around 200 maybe down it,it has a weaver base on it which l used to jb weld to secure the front portion,l o ringed the forestock  and had to remove most of the bedding that was underneath as it was a very tight fit to get together,but removing the bedding didnt make any difference to the way it shot?the trigger is about 3 lbs max.the grouping is around 2 inches for 2 shots and then one wicked flyer around 5 inches,l have changed scopes 3 times and l am using  winchester jhp 45 grain ammo,l work on a lot of rifles but this one is really giving me trouble?and l appreciate the help and the welcome also guy's.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
Sounds like maybe inconsistent latch engagement may be an issue, be sure to close the action with some force each time to make sure the latch engages the shelf good each time.Check to make sure the latch and latch shelf are dry, no oil should be on em.

For trigger pull, the transfer bar requires a full pull to the rear to keep the t-bar in place for full firing pin impact, if you release the trigger at the break, the t-bar will drop and will cause inconsistent pin strikes and erratic ignition which will change POI. ;)

Tim

Offline bullcoon

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »
thanks tim,l didnt realize that the latch engagement is that critical,but l know after shooting a lot of target rifles,l have a hard time to follow through with the trigger on these rifles and that may be my problem alright.l will go try to see what l can do now.thanks again

Offline bullcoon

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
well l got it to shoot under an inch this time with the winchester factory stuff and l just wiped the latch off with some alcohol and it snaps shut and releases very crisp,l now know that it was the latch and thanks for the help very much

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »