Author Topic: New scope for new Howa .308 SS heavy barrel  (Read 1145 times)

Offline dmills

• Trade Count: (0)
New scope for new Howa .308 SS heavy barrel
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:53:47 AM »
For some reason that defies logic, I have purchased a new Howa .308 SS heavy barrel rifle.  I plan to use it for multi-purposes, from targets (some long-range) and hogs/deer on a lease in East Texas that sometimes requires longer range shots.  Ultimately, I may have the SS barrel teflon coated.  Until then, should I put a silver scope on it or just go with matte black and to heck with color coordination?  In other words, is color of scope on a SS barrel even a consideration?

As to scope choice, I am narrowing it down and am considering the the Burris Fulfield 3-9x40 or the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40.  Probably will choose the Bushnell based on prior good experiences with Bushnell, cost, and opinions from this site.  Thanks.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: New scope for new Howa .308 SS heavy barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »
I like matte black scopes on everything.  Haven't found a silver scope yet that I like.  I've used both scopes you've mentioned, and I like them both.  I give the edge to the Elite 3200.  I would probably get two scopes, if it were me.  The fixed 10x Elite tactical for targets and fun, and the 3-9 for hunting, in a good set of quick-detach mounts like Warne or Talley.

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »
For some reason that defies logic, I have purchased a new Howa .308 SS heavy barrel rifle.  I plan to use it for multi-purposes, from targets (some long-range) and hogs/deer .

dmills when you say long rang  are you talking 100 yards 300 yards or more.

it is hard to say what you need with out knowing.

matt

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:24:08 PM »
I don't think i would buy another silver scope.