Author Topic: Would anyone like a 16g with choke tubes?  (Read 646 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Would anyone like a 16g with choke tubes?
« on: February 25, 2007, 06:25:48 AM »
I'd love to have a TDC in 16ga. I think it would sell like hot cakes if they made one. Post up if you'd like to see it happen. Who knows some one at H&R/NEF might be listening.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Would anyone like a 16g with choke tubes?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:50:31 AM »
Now that would really be a "Do it All" shotgun.  Hmmm, sounds like you may be tossin' a project around in your head. ;D  If they offered one I would probably have one.  Would really be neet to have one in 22".

cookiemann

surprised MSP didn't post to this thread before me...He likes them Sweet 16 s  ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:22:03 AM »
Hi Markus and Rich, we just got in from church, stopped for a bite to eat and a little food shopping on the way home. YES, I would want and would buy a 16 gauge H&R with screw in choke tubes, I would think a 24" barrel with tubes would be just about right but I could also go with a 26" barrel....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline G16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Keep it Simple
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:40:05 AM »
How about a TDC 28 with fixed IC choke.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »
I must say I just did pick up a real nice 28 gauge barrel with a fixed modified choke while I was in Maine, and what was even better is I bought it with my my wifes loving approval. I also got a 2004 Topper with a nickeled reciever in 20 gauge (fixed modified). I am planning to reconfigure the stock on the nickeled Topper to a straight english style at the same time I redo another for a member here and then refinish the stock to a nice classic english walnut with a matte Tung Oil finish. I am not a fan of the Weatherby style gloss finishes. I will  fit the 28 gauge barrel to the nickel reciever with the redone walnut stained straight stock and will have a great light classic upland gun for partridge and such to go along with my more traditional 16 gauge NEF. Don't you just love these guns!!...<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
I have a topper in a 28 ga and it is sweet Wouldn,t mind one it a 16 that would just about round things out.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »
I'm thinking about ordering a 16ga pardner and then sending the barrel off to get it cut to 26" and having choke tubes installed. I found an outfit in Nebraska that will do it for $125.
I wasn't impressed with the 20ga TDC that I got. It weighed more than my Ruger Red Label 20. I was wanting a lighter gun for some of the treks that Gunner and I take. I'm hoping that the 16ga will end up at less than 6lbs  ???.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »
I would buy one tomorrow, the 16 is my favorite shotgun gauge.  I guess it comes from growing up in an area where most all of the old timers used 16s.  I had an NEF 16 for a while, it didn't shoot very good but that was before I learned all the tricks from this site, now that I am about finished with my turkey/predator shotgun, I will probably buy another 16 but it sure would be nice to have screw in chokes, walnut stock and vent rib

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »
Oh yea!  A 16 ga TDC would be a nice addition to the family.  ;) 

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »
I'm thinking about ordering a 16ga pardner and then sending the barrel off to get it cut to 26" and having choke tubes installed. I found an outfit in Nebraska that will do it for $125.
I wasn't impressed with the 20ga TDC that I got. It weighed more than my Ruger Red Label 20. I was wanting a lighter gun for some of the treks that Gunner and I take. I'm hoping that the 16ga will end up at less than 6lbs  ???.

>>>===> Dave

Since all the NEF/H&R shotguns use the same frame and the first third or so of the barrels from the chamber end out to the end of the forend are the same outside diameter I would not count on a 16ga being any lighter than a 20ga. It may even be slightly heavier.

Revised, Oops, sorry after rereading your post I see you were talking about a 16ga. Pardner barrel. Without the vent-rib it probably would be a little lighter than the 20ga. TDC.

p.s.; If you want to sell that 20ga. TDC of yours I'ld be interested if the asking price were reasonable.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 11:23:28 PM »
Sorry Brett, MSP got the stock and forend and I gave the rest to a friend. When I originally ordered the TDC 20 they were advertised with a 26" barrel, what I got was a 28" barrel that was big enough to be a 12ga, but only drilled to 20... that was a chunk of steel with a plastic rib glued to it.
I've looked at quite a few Pardners, they don't seem to be quite so proud of their steel...

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.