Author Topic: USH & reloads  (Read 390 times)

Offline huntnut

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
USH & reloads
« on: February 23, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »
Will I sold my encore pistol this week, just waiting on the money. I was going to order a 10ga double barrel muzzleloader, but changed my mind. I have been thinking for some time about getting a 12 or 20 USH because thats one type of firearm I hav'nt shot a deer with. But factory ammo is so pricey, and I like to shoot guns instead of just letting them set tell time to go hunting. I was wondering if anyone is reloading for there slugger, and if so what type of componits are you useing. I will probably go with the 12ga because thats what I'm settup for reloading. What kind of accuracy are you getting with reloads?
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL

Offline Ironwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: USH & reloads
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »
I've been thinking about getting into reloading for 12 gauge also.  I hope we get some replies.
GO GREEN--RECYCLE CONGRESS

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.

Offline bakabob

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: USH & reloads
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:53:16 AM »
I bought a USH this past year and like most find the slugs way to costly to do much shooting at the range.  The only solution that I can see is to reload so I bought a bunch of the lyman 20 ga slugs and started loading them in AA hulls using the AA one ounce wad.  I have been loading shotshells for over 50 years so I  have all the tools required.  Scale, loaders, etc.  However this is my first try with slugs.  I found them very easy to load using the fold crimp.  I am using 21 grains of Universal clays, a powder that I can also use for loading 20 ga skeet loads.  I tried my first batch at the range last week using the 50 yard range.  My gun was sighted in for remington copper solids so I tried one shot with one of them to make sure I was still on target.  It was so my next shot was with a reload.  It touched the first hole. The next three shots were right in there and then they started going all over the place.  No doubt the the plastic had built up to a point that it was useless.  After cleaning the barrel the first shot was about three inches low and then the next three shots grouped right in the bull and then off they went again.  So it looks like if one is willing to scrape the plastic out of the barrel after each group they shoot good.  It is sure much cheaper than buying the loaded sabots.  I wanted to try the Lee slug but they only make them for the 12 ga.  My next ones will probably be with the CCS sabots however they cost quite a bit more than regular wads.