Author Topic: Apex Range Report  (Read 1061 times)

Offline jmckinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Apex Range Report
« on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:45 AM »
I finally got to the range Sunday and sighted in the rifle. I got to hit dead on at 50 yards using the XTp 245gr slub over 2 pyrodex pellets. Recoil was much better than by Buckhorn. I then went out to 100 yards and found out that 4x and crosshairs don't work well with old eyes. I manged a 2-3 inch group simply because of the scope. I ordered a Mueller 3-9x40 Sportdot and I think with the right slug this rifle will shoot in the 1 to 2 inch range at a 100 yards. I am going to swithc to the T/C bonded bullet 250 gr and if it shoots as well as I expect then i have a 200 yard rifle. The 50 yard groups average right at 1 inc clusted very nicely on the bull. I shot it out with my second 3 shot group. I know ole age stinks. The Weaver is a great scope but did affect my shooting.....Thats my story andd I'm sticking to it no matter how big a lie I just told or was that a partial truth.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Jess
Jess

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Apex Range Report
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:36:16 AM »
One thing you may want to look into is removing all stock material touching the sides of the barrel and putting pressure points on it. I free floated my winchester x-150, updated my sights and am right at 1" groups @ 100 yards with open sights. I bet removing all that material that touchs the sides will help tighten the groups. Or do  a paper sheet text, run it between the stock and barrel and it it doesnt run down to the first lug, start looking for areas where the stock is pressed up against the barrel.

Good luck with it, I missed the cabelas deal thanks to some goof ball taking forever to pay for some items he bought. I missed it by less than a week before they sold out.

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
Great report! Have you tried loose powder? I was a big fan of the pellets but found I can taylor my loads with loose powder. ;)

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:16:37 AM »
Great report! Have you tried loose powder? I was a big fan of the pellets but found I can taylor my loads with loose powder. ;)
I haven't yet, but that will happen at my next range session. I have a can of 777 and Pyrodex Select and will give them a try. I just switched scopes yesterday and put a Trophy 3-9x40 with circle X reticle on it. I will post after this weekends session.  ;D ;D
Jess