Author Topic: Lets be careful guy's  (Read 1723 times)

Offline slimman75

• Trade Count: (3)
Lets be careful guy's
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
As i write this my son is in a hospitle from a Acandinetal gun shot. He is doing fine all went well he was a lucky guy. Just a good time for me to remind everyone to be to careful and handle any firearm as if is it loaded. If i could i would post this on all of the firearms forums posts. Thanks guy's for letting me vent a little

Offline slimman75

Re: Lets be careful guy's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »
Just read that sorry for the spelling never a stong suit on my part.  Slim

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
Slim, glad to hear that your son is doing well.  It is always good to remind folks of the responsibility incurred when handling firearms, this is just another example of what can and does happen when accidents occur.  Regards,

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:15:05 AM »
VERY GOOD ADVICE and i hope your son is doing well and this doesnt cause you to much greif before its over. My partner at works uncle just shot off his middle finger fooling around with a loaded Glock. Now this guy has handled guns all of his life and swore his gun was empty and he will live with that mistake for the rest of his life. BE CAREFUL!!
Slim, glad to hear that your son is doing well.  It is always good to remind folks of the responsibility incurred when handling firearms, this is just another example of what can and does happen when accidents occur.  Regards,

JHT
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:32:31 AM »
Most of us will admit too some sort of AD in our lives.
We are all lucky.
Be as absolutely as safe as you can--these things are made to be dangerous.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:38:15 AM »
slimman75, glad to hear you son is OK. 
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:29:29 AM »

I think we all have had a wake up call at one time or another and it serves as a reminder to be extra careful.

Slimman75, I am sorry to hear about your son and pray for a speedy recovery......Joe.....
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »
Glad to hear he's going to be ok.  I went to look at a Ruger 22 auto at a pawn shop a few years ago.  I automatically opened the slide, the clip was out, but a 22 live round ejected.  The clerk was shocked, and I was glad my years of assuming a gun is loaded until proven otherwise was working. In Florida 3 years ago they had 4 live gun incidents at gun shows reported all supposidly cleared at the door, 2 involved discharges without injury, 1 was a shotgun discharge with minor injury and 1 was like mine, an ejected live round from an EMPTY gun;  Now all guns get a cable tie or through barrel lock to enter.

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 11:43:40 AM »
Glad he's doing ok and I wish him a speedy recovery!

Can't be too careful.
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 03:32:25 AM »
Good to hear the son is OK, too often the accidental shootings end with bad results.

It pays to check every time you handle a gun to see if it is loaded, makes no difference if you just watched someone else check, check for yourself too.  At a recent gun show an individual picked a gun up from a table, brought it up to his shoulder, aimed at a light fixture and fired.  The gun went off, the light fixture was damaged, and both the dealer and buyer had red faces.  The gun had been on the table for well over eight hours, numerous people had handled it, many of them picking it up and pointing it in the direction of other people. 

The point is, this dealer, did not check, the "looker" did not check, this was a serious accident waiting to happen.  BY the way, the dealer now double checks, and puts a wire tie throiugh the action where his guns can not be fired.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
there is a reason why they call them the commandments of gun safety...  you always need to listen.

to a quick recovery...
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »
Slimman75, I'm very glad to hear your son is going to be OK.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 05:36:59 AM »
Well, we can call them what they are, not 'accidental' discharges, but 'negligent' discharges.  I have done that myself.  Thank God I only put a bullet into the ground.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Well, we can call them what they are, not 'accidental' discharges, but 'negligent' discharges.  I have done that myself.  Thank God I only put a bullet into the ground.  44 Man

Strong words, but absolutely the truth.

I'm glad he's doing OK, and I hope he's not permenantly injured?

Like 44Man said, I've negligently fired a gun a few times in my life not paying attention to what I was doing. Once through a wall, once through the ceiling, once taking a rifle out of my truck, and at least a few times of trying to wear gloves while hunting with a rifle that had a way too light trigger pull.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson with the first one ::), but sadly, it took a few times before I finally realized that safety should be first, and foremost when handling a gun no matter where you are. It's been a loooong time since the last one, but that one nearly, and very possibly could have killed a very close friend, so I guess it did something to me.

Offline Hook686

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »
I have only had one, what I would call 'Negligent Discharge'. I've had numerous 2nd shots, not intended, while revolver was pointed at the target, but only one really ND. I picked up my dads shotgun from back of station wagon and pointed it at various things, inside of car, windshield, door of cabin ... his Remington 1100 had the ventilated rib, mine did not. I was fooling with sight picture diferences. When I had the gun pointed skyward, a flock of ducks flew over, about 300 yards high. I pulled the trigger, and .... BOOM ! .... the 12 gauge discharged. Scrared the poop out of this 18 year old kid. You know, every time I pick up a firearm, I recall that ND and I always check to see if the firearm is loaded. A few times, as others have pointed out, a live round popped out of an empty firearm  :o

I suspect others, like me, take such a ND very seriously, and it has a lifetime lesson attached to it.

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope a speedy recovery is at hand.
Hook686

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »
Slim, I am certain that all of our members are concerned with the health of your son.  Would you feel OK with giving us an update of how he is doing and what his prognosis is?  Don't forget to give him our best wishes.  Best of regards,

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline slimman75

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 05:09:05 PM »
Just to let everyone know the boy is doing great! Thanks for all of the kind thoughts everyone and i hope no one has to go though something like this ever..So lets rember to be careful guy's and thanks again Slim

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 06:25:23 PM »
Glad to hear he's doing good. :)

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
Slimman

Thats great, It's all ways good to hear that kind of news. Best wishes to You and your son......Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain