Author Topic: Tracker I question  (Read 525 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Tracker I question
« on: March 03, 2007, 11:10:05 AM »
You see the Tracker II's in stores, ie. Gander Mtn.  Did H&R market the Tracker I the same way?  I know that a previous Tracker II that I had was stamped "Cylinder Bore" on the barrel and was actually a rifled barrel.  My Tracker I barrel is also stamped "Cylindre Bore", but it is a smooth bore with sights.  Do I need to be breakin' these open and checkin' the bore to be certain, EVERY TIME I find a used one on the rack?  Could a guy get lucky enough to find one with a Cylinder Bore, non-rifled barrel from the factory?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Tracker I question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:14:03 AM »
I wouldn't buy a gun without looking down the bore anyway.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
I wouldn't either, just tryin' to find out if that's the ONLY way to tell if it is a Tracker I or II.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »
I think all of the rifled barrels I have are marked cyl bore
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:59:52 AM »
Well, looks like that's the answer to that part of the question.  Markus, do you know if they marketed  the Tracker I's as a whole shotgun just as the do the Tracker II's now or was the Tracker I barrel only marketed through the barrel accessory program?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 12:35:03 PM »
They sold them as complete guns just as they do any other guns. I have a 12 Gauge Tracker I that came as a complete gun from the factory. And Markus was correct, all the Tracker I barrels that I have even seen were marked cyl bore. I bought it uased in 100% "like new" condition. They can still be found used every so often around here since there are so many shotgun only areas and states in the Northeast. If you want I can keep my eye's open for one for you. Would you be interested in the whole gun or just a barrel? Do you want one in 12 or 20 gauge or does it matter? Would you be interested in one of each if I came across them?....<><.... :)

P.S. - there is a used 12 gauge Tracker II for sale at Kittery Trading Post in Maine right now for $110 and they will mail guns...

http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28/gid/109705
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 03:30:54 PM »
Thanks Andy, I'll let ya know on that.  My local Gander has a used one on the rack, today, for $119.  I will have to get it unlocked and open it up for inspection to see if it is a Tracker I or II.  That's why I was asking these questions.  If it is in fact a Tracker I it will come home with me.  If not, well, it may come home with me anyway.  Thats a good price and I been thinkin' about gettin' a rifled slug gun.  I had one once before and sold it.  Anyway, thanks for the answers and help.  I will post the results of my inspection tomorrow.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »
OK Rich, you can always get a Tracker II so I would suggest for inexpensive shooting don't rush into it if it's a Tracker II. I hope for your sake it is a Tracker I. Of course if it is a Tracker II and you buy it I still could watch out for a Tracker I barrel for you to add to it. Let us know what happens tomorrow. I have both and don't shoot my Tracker II much anymore, mostly my Tracker I and my other 24" Turkey barrel 12 gauge with choke tubes that I had a scope rail put on. I shoot it with either a Red Dot or scope and it's sweet....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »
Cookieman,

My 20 GA Tracker II barrel is stamped "PARDNER TRACKER II SB1 20 GA 3" CYL BORE", it is a RIFLED BORE.

My 20 GA USH barrel is stamped "ULTRA" SLUG HUNTER 20 GA 3" RIFLED BORE, and is of course, RIFLED.

So, my take is if it is stamped "TRACKER II", it will be rifled. If it is stamped "TRACKER" (as in TRACKER I), it will be a smooth bore. Even though both are marked CYL BORE.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »
busta, I just checked my Tracker I and you are correct.  It only says Tracker SB1 on it.  Thanks buddy.  I think this mystery is solved.  I didn't have another barrel to compare it too and so I was not able to note the differences in the way they were marked.  I will have to check the one I saw at Gander to see how its marked and then check the barrel, too.  Cross your fingers....hope its a plain Tracker.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"