Author Topic: CCW RENEWAL IN TEXAS  (Read 733 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
CCW RENEWAL IN TEXAS
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:34:23 PM »
Went to the renewal class today.
You have too rewnew your Lic. in Texas every four years.
Good news it is only 1/2 day.
Bad news It is a 1/2 day.
It updates you on the law changes--if you have not kept up. Gotta take a test at the end.
I get the Lic. for 1/2 price because of age--$35.00
The place I take the course is charging $50.00 for it. Some charge more.
If you qualify with a revolver that is all you can carry. If you qualify with a Semi you can carry anything. The logic being that Semi's are far more complex than revolvers.
Anywho--it is out of the way for 4 more years.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: CCW RENEWAL IN TEXAS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »
Me and Faye have to do that next week too. No class, we just go in pay $10 each and walk out 5 minutes later with fresh new permits all nicely laminated for us. I've had one since I turned 21.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »
Back in the old days when handgun permits were administered by the sheriff of each county, we were required to requalify each year, but didn't have to retake the written test. Now that it's run by the state police and not the county sheriffs, you just have to pay a renewal fee every 4 or 5 years (I forget which) and don't even have to qualify. It's like your drivers license (even the same picture). Once you get it, it's good for life. I liked having to qualify every year. It at least got my wife out shooting more. She always wanted to do good, so she practiced more. Now, it's much more difficult to get her to the range.

Here in Tennessee we can carry any gun you own, or lawfully possess. So you could walk around with your CAS rig out in the open, or your S&W 500 on your hip. Not a good idea unless you're lonely and just need to talk to every policeman that drives by. Most folks are smart enough to carry concealed.

Graybeard, didn't know they even had guns when you were 21 !?!  ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
WA State appears to be more lienent then some in issuing its carry permits.  WA is a "shall issue" State and the license requires "no testing" of any type.  It is renewable every 5 years and I seem to recall the renewal cost is approx. $60 per 5 year period, and can be gotten at the County Sheriff's Office.  While there is great ease for those who are licensed in WA State i.e., not having mandated training or testing I will be the first to admit that I for one would be more at ease if the State would require those licensed to show at least a minimum of knowledge and proficency before acquiring a carry permit and the benefits that it bestows.  Regards,

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 01:27:51 AM »
Well, at least at this writing there are more states that recognize the right to carry. Texas has issued a bill that allows any residence of another state which has a ccw permit to carry here.
i hope the latest universal bill in cogress passes---that would do away with the states having to recognize other staes issues and allow traveling less of a hassel.
Bill
With all the ease of of you attaining a permit, Alabama was late recognizing the right  of other states to carry within Alabama.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 04:22:25 AM »
if you can't pass the shooting part of the test in Texas, you should never touch a firearm!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 04:52:16 AM »
Graybeard, didn't know they even had guns when you were 21 !?!  ;D

Yup, we had guns, mostly match locks but a few of the new fangled ones called flint locks were also around back in those days.  :o

With all the ease of of you attaining a permit, Alabama was late recognizing the right  of other states to carry within Alabama.
Blessings

Yup Bill we were that indeed and I think that's one reason so many other states didn't/don't recognize ours as well. That plus there is no qualification here to get one. All ya hafta do is go to the Sheriff's office and fill out a form, about a month later if you've not got a criminal record you go back and get the permit. Nuttin to it.

Back when I got mine I went to the Sheriff's office on a Saturday (that was back when they would still let you do it on Saturday) and asked for one. Old Homer McNaron who ran the local drugstore in the neighborhood I lived in and who thought rather highly of me was in there. He told the Sheriff what a fantastic fellow I was and to give me anything I wanted. I got not only the permit but also a deputy sheriff's card that I carried as well until he retired from office and then it was no longer any good. That one was generally recognized most anywhere I went even tho it didn't have to be it was.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
Willliamlayton.  When did Texas begin reducing the cost for the license, and at what age does this occur?  I recently renewed mine, and the cost was $70.  (I am 68) According to the individual that provided the training the cost is the same for everyone.  

Is this reduction outlined in a new book, law,  how is it applyed?

GB.  Your experience with the sheriff reminds me of Louisiana back in the 60s.  I had a need to carry a firearm, checked all over for permits, and was finall told to go the Parrish Sheriff's Office who could help.  I stopped in to ask about it, a deputy gave me a form and told me to complete it.  I completed it while standing there, gave it back, he then told me to step into one of the offices.  He took my picture and fingerprints,  then led me into another office where I met the Chief Deputy.  He swore me in as a deputy of that Parrish, complete with picture ID and badge.  I could carry a gun anyplace in the state, including a polling place or bar.  Only problem, the "FREE PERMIT" required me to be participate in searches, or other things where additional deputies were needed.  I carried the permit for almost four years, even used the badge and ID to get out of a couple of tickets, but was never called on for service.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »
Rockbilly
I don't know when they reduced it. It seems as though the last time it was half-price and that is what it states on line.
If it is of any consolation there was another boy at the class and he had already paid them the full price also.
GB
Texas will allow any state, wheather or not there is any reciprosity from the other state.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 04:28:46 AM »
Williamlayton.  This gives me something to look forward to, when I renew again in four years I will ask for the reduced rate.