Author Topic: New Scope with $400 bucks to spend  (Read 1693 times)

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New Scope with $400 bucks to spend
« on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »
Hi,

I am about to plop down around $400 on a new scope for my 223. I want a variable power that has at least a max of 24X. I am looking real hard at the Bushnell Elite 4200 but before I spend the money was looking for opinions or suggestions. I have a cheap NC star 6-24 now that for 100 yds has been great but I got to do some 200+ yard shooting this week and that far out it is very cloudy. Thanks for looking.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »
The 4200 sounds like a good choice to me, and with free shipping from Jon, you can't go wrong!! :wink:

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=42
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 09:58:14 AM »
The Elite 4200 6-24 is an excellent scope. I like it fine. It's about as good as any out there in the power range if you like one of the reticle styles offered. That is one thing Bushnell is a bit lacking in is offering a wider variety of reticle choices. Still what they have is fine for most all uses.

I do however thing that 24X is too much and not really fully useful. If the day is hot and even if it isn't if you shoot very many times heat mirage makes the higher powers pretty useless. More magnification isn't always the answer and can even hurt. Better quality optics NOT more magnification is often what's needed. If you can't get it done with a high quality 4-16 then you need more gun that the .223 anyway. Out to over 400 yards that's enough on prairie dogs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:07:16 AM »
I was in Alabama over the Holidays. Around Bessemer in a little place called Adger. It was about 55 degrees. The Sun was shining but I don't think it was heat shimmer that I was seeing. I will consider the 16X but from what I have seen there is not a lot of difference in price to get a few more X's just in case:)

Richard
NRA Member

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 07:07:51 PM »
I would have to agree with everyone, the Elite 4200 6-24x sounds like the scope for you.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 09:02:44 AM »
You just need to think about one thing.  Would you like to purchase from some one that is here posting all the time answering questions. Not going to start any wars, but if people would like to play dirty that is up to them, but I am not going to stoop to their level.  Our customer service brings back our customers and we have had very good feedback.

Good luck,
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 05:51:37 AM »
Seeing SWFA advertising on here shocks me.....for this reason.  They kicked me off of their talk forum because I always advised shopping around for the best deal.  They are not  "stand up" folks over there, as evidence by their "opticszone" hijacking.  The real OpticZone will give you every bit if not a better deal with an honest way of doing business.  I'm glad to hear Jon will not stoop to their level, because their level of doing business is WAY DOWN THERE.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 10:17:33 AM »
SWFA is NOT a paid advertiser on this site and was informed they were not welcome as such because I don't care for their business practices. Trying to slide in and do what he just did is a prime example of why they are not welcome. His account has now been disabled. If he tries again he will be banned.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 11:33:48 AM »
I had actually already ordered the scope from the OpticZone. I did not think what the SWFA guy did was very ethical so I did not even waste my time on a response. I would not have done business with him.

Richard
NRA Member

Offline Zachary

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »
My vote similarly goes for the Elite 4200.  The only thing that I don't like about the scope is that it is very long which can throw off a gun's balance.  Then again, however, if you are going to use it for prarie dog shooting for a general fixed location, then it shouldn't be much of an issue,  if at all.

I own several Elite 4200s and I continue to be impressed with their quality and price.

Zachary

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 02:12:34 AM »
I've got a Bushnell 4200 in 4 X 16....optically it's great.......can't tell any difference between it and my VX-III's.......very bright and clear......

One thing about the 4200 that I have......It's a huge scope......that's not necessarily a bad thing if your trying to add weight to a gun....

200 yards really isn't that far......the problem I have at higher power is mirage, or heat waves visable through the scope, even with the 3" sun shade.  Also, unless I bag the gun up firmly, I can see every heart beat.

Have  you thought much about maybe using a lower powered scope and a quality tripod mounted spotting scope?  

Would I buy another Bushnell elite 4200 series scope.......yes I would.....Would I buy one for an ultra light?  No I would not.  Would I buy one for a heavy recoiling rifle?  I'd probably go with a Leupold.

Would I buy one for your application?  I think it would work well for your .223, but question the need for a 24X at 200 yards..... :D
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 05:06:57 PM »
Based on these results I would have to say the scope is a success. Thanks for all your input.
223 50gr VMAX with Varget Powder at 100 yds. My best 5 Shot group ever.

Richard

NRA Member

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 07:03:31 PM »
GB,

I am glad you confronted SWFA, after I posted how Jon and Tammi of the Optic Zone, had saved me over a $100, SWFA, PMed me about the same binoculars on their sample list.  Their price, for a shot show demo was the same as some of the NYC discount camera places charge new in the box.  But the Optic Zone, was still a better price and they are just plain nice folks.

Nice shooting RM

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 01:44:18 PM »
I have felt hat way about SWFA for years .Bull's EYE on thier customer service GRAYBEARD . I have bought from the optic zone and swfa and there is no contest  . Jon wins hands down, both price and service.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 03:05:57 PM »
Thanks Buster, I really appreciate the comment.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
Re: New Scope with $400 bucks to spend
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 08:28:35 PM »
Just ordered a 4-16x40mm 4200 Elite from The Optic Zone.  By far the best price I found.  About $100 cheaper than most!  Ordered Burris Signature rings and mount from them as well.

Is SWFA a sponser now?  I thought I just saw a banner for them on this site??? 

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
Is SWFA a sponser now?  I thought I just saw a banner for them on this site???

NO. The banner still shows because I made a very bad deal with them long ago and am living up to my end of the bargain even tho I was misinformed badly about what I was getting. They are in fact banned from even posting on this site completely.

My end of the deal was the banner runs as long as I "own" the site. Technically I suppose it could be ended since as far as the IRS is concerned my wife is the actual owner of the site but that would be as underhanded as I was treated by them in that I still am fully in control of the site and that is sorta what I meant by what I said.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »
  It's too bad they get to advertise on this site, but I doubt it will do them much good with the people here anyway.
  I admire your integrity.  With out knowing the specifics I can't say for sure if I would do the same.   
Does it say how big the banner has to be?  ;D

Offline Robert Baggett

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »
This is so ironic!  I placed an order with SWFA last week.  I got their web address from this site.  Well I called them this morning and inquired about my order.  They told me it had not shipped and would not until at least March 14th because one of the items was back ordered.  They did not even notify me of this.  I told the lady on the phone to cancel my order.  I just got off the phone with The Optic Zone.  The gentlemen I spoke with was very nice.  I place an order from him and it was A LOT cheaper than SWFA.  He said the order will ship today and shipping was free!  Needless to say, I know where I will be doing business in the future.  Thanks "The Optic Zone" for a great transaction!   :)

Offline Zachary

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »
I remember when I used to go business with the optic zone well before it was ever a sponsor of GBO.  Heck, I even remember what I ordered...it was a Nikon Monarch 3.5x-10x-50mm Illuminated.  I remembered that the price was the lowest, and the service was the best I ever had.  Since then, I purchased more scopes from the optic zone with similar great pricing and customer satisfaction.  When I found out that the optic zone became a sponsor of this site, I was very happy.  You see, as a moderator, members ask me all the time about different scopes, and, as related to this website, where they should buy their scopes.  I always recommend the optic zone, because I practice what I preach.  I have bought a total of about 11 or so scopes from the optic zone over the years, and for good reason!

Congrats on your experience with the optic zone!  Trust me, this won't be your last purchase from them.

Zachary