Author Topic: S&W Model 57  (Read 676 times)

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
S&W Model 57
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
Was out shooting my GP100 today and on the way home I stopped in at my local gun dealer. The dealer had just taken in on trade a nice nickle, .41 Mag, Model 57 S&W that caught my eye. I'd say it had a 6 - 7 inch barrel - not less than 6.

The gun was in excellent condition with a nice clean and shiny bore. Everything was tight, the walnut grips were in perfect condition, no scratches anywhere on the gun. It fit my hand like a glove and had a wonderful feel to it. And the factory trigger was nothing short of amazing - light, crisp, no creep - I hate to say it but it had a better trigger pull than any Ruger I've owned. My dealer showed me his Ruger SRH .44 Mag that he had done some polishing on and although the trigger was very nice, it was not even close the S&W's fine trigger. Only thing I didn't really like about the Smith was the nickle finish. Compared to my GP's Stainless finish, I feel the nickle looks sort of cheap.

I could buy the Smith for $450.00 but I really know nothing about S&W's (except that they have awesome triggers). Would there possible be any Model 57 people here that could tell me if this is a good deal and maybe provide me with a little insight about the 57.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Skunk
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: S&W Model 57
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable price to me.  You might want to check out Gun Broker. com and see what prices are running.  Yeah my 4" blue 57 has about the nicest trigger of any gun I have. I don't care for the flash of nickel but it was more weather resistant than blue steel back before S&W started building with stainless. As hard a time I'm having findiing a 4" 657 (MG or plain) I get tempted to think about nickel. 
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:52:24 AM »
Skunk - I dunno, four and a half sounds a bit high for a used S&W and your model sounds like a production gun.  This is fine though but I feel the $ is high. 

You are correct about the triggers on the S&Ws - much better than the Ruger but yet, the Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag is a fine piece. 

If you aren't sold on the nickle finish call Smith and Wesson and see what they might be able to do about it.  They might be able to remove the nickle and blue it for you.  Are you sure it's a M57 and not a M657 (stainless)?.  Mikey.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:24:11 AM »
Dand, ty Sir for the input and I hope you find your dream 57 real soon. I checked out gunbroker first but there were no good comparisons available in the 57 model - so I came here to my favorite forum to get the info. :)

Mikey, ty also for the input, I felt the price was a tad bit high myself but yet still resonable if the 57 model turned out to be real special. I could probably find a cherry Ruger, SS, Security Six, for way less and they have much more sentimental value to me (a stainless security six was the first handgun I ever owned and I regret selling mine years ago). Heck, for $450.00, I could probably get a new .357, SS, GP100, with a 4" bbl, as a mate to my 6" version. I'm positive the Smith was a nickel model because all of us in the store looking the gun over commented on the nickel finish and how we didn't really care for it compared to blue or SS. We even pulled a SS Ruger out of the display case and placed it on the counter next to the Smith for comparison purposes - the Smith was definetly nickel.

Thanks again guys for helping me think this one over. I'm going to pass on it. This entire Greybeard's website is stocked with great people and priceless information.

Skunk
Mike

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 10:57:54 PM »
Skunk maybe you brought me luck!  I just grabbed a NIB 657 mg off Gun Broker and paid lots more than you were looking at.  Hope it works out well.

I appreciate your attachment to the security 6.  I have a stainless 4 incher.  I think I shoot it more accurately than any of my other hand guns.  It just fits - especially with the Hogue rubber grips.  Trigger isn't as nice as SW but its ok.  And not at all bad to carry - nearly indestructable too. I've made some nice shots on grouse and rabbits and nearly beat an auto loader in a block shoot once.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Skunk

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 10:22:24 AM »
Well a big congrats is in order here today Dand. Any day a man gets a new gun is a good day.  :)

Now you have to play the waiting game while it is being delivered but sounds like it will be well worth it. Hope you get a lifetime of enjoyment out of that new Smith.

Skunk
Mike