Author Topic: Rifled Choke Tubes????  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Rifled Choke Tubes????
« on: March 08, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »
How many of you guys have used Rifled Choke Tubes to shoot Saboted Slugs out of a SmoothBore barrel?  Do they work?  What kind of range and accuracy do you get?  Is it better than shooting a Rifled Slug from a SmoothBore barrel?   Any commets or comparisons would be helpful.  Is it worth spending the money on such a choke tube?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Rifled Choke Tubes????
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 05:11:58 AM »
CM,

If you are wanting to shoot saboted slugs through a choke tube, the only ones I would recommend are the extended rifled tubes. Browning made a very good one (Win-Choke) they used in the earlier A-Bolt slug guns. A Browning Rep told me the tube barrel was more accurate than the fully rifled barrel in their testing, but everyone wanted a fully rifled barrel, so they had to give them what they wanted. Now the A-Bolt slug gun is not made any longer, but they are good ones.

Remington also made a extended rifled tube (Rem-Choke), that does well also. My son has a short flush mount rifled tube in his 870 that we shoot rifled Foster slugs out of, it does such a great job that we have never shot it with the included IC choke. We have never tried saboted slugs out of the short rifled tube, since it shoots Brenneke's and Winchesters so well.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 06:02:35 AM »
Great thoughts and ideas guys and something very interesting to look into....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »
I had an old model 088 H&R cut to 19in. and a Rhino 5in. rifled tube installed. It shot a 2in. group with Brenneke slugs before the forearm stud broke off. This was at 65 yds. It's in the shop now having sights installed and the stud reattached. It showed potential. Hunman55

Huntsman1

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »
I use a Carlson rifled choke tube which are 3" long in my Win. 1200 deer barrel. I've only fired Lee Drive Key 1oz. slugs so far which average around 1430fps using 35grs of Herco powder.
My groups at 50yds are in the 3" and at 100yds I can put a 5" group inside an 8" pie plate...........works for me ;)

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »
Sounds like you got a good deer gun there. Good shooting. Hunman55

Offline mikedb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »
Rremington 870 with a rifled choke tube.  I get 4 to 5 inch groups at 100yd with Federal Hydrashcok sabots.  They are leaving the barrel at 1500 fps.  The newer ones that have velocities that are about 1900 fps will not stabilize.  I have taken deer out to 100 yds with my 870.  I have thought about getting a fully rifled barrel but have better uses for my cash.  Other guns.

Offline John020769

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 12:53:09 PM »
Remington express 870 26 in barrel extened rilfe choke tube you need to keep it clean but sluggers the cheap onse from walmart at 150 yds. keep all on 2# coffee can and had the best 1 shot kill at a steped off 157 steps ok small doe (looked bigger in scope) dropped in tracks dressed 100# 2 yrs ago thanksgiven day now that is all this gun is for deer hunting bought another for small game to turkeys but it has 28 in barrel want to put that tube in it to see what happens but thingk I need to leave it right were it is .....John scope saddle mout from walmart and cheap tasco scope hope it never gose bad took it up nother instead of rifle that is how much I thingk of this gun I like a big hole low kick and down now ......... new rifle 500S.W. handy but not as big as hole but it bigger then 45-70 sorry  if I just started a war never had 45-70 but like the 50 bigger is and bigger is better.................John later