Author Topic: new fore end?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
new fore end?
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:21:27 AM »
I have a Handi Rifle in .30-.30 with a brown/green laminated wood straight wrist stock that I'm sending in to have a 20 gauge Tracker I smooth bore or a Tracker 11 rifled slug barrel and maybe a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun barrel fitted to it. My intent was to also have a fore end made to fit each new barrel thinking the contours of either of these barrels wouldn't be the same as my original rifle barrel. H&R customer service didn't really answer my question as to whether they custom contour fore ends to match the contour of the barrel you request to be fitted. I don't have a slug or a shotgun barrel to measure and compare to my .30-.30 barrel but I have to believe they must shape the barrel channel to fit what the customer orders. Am I correct? I was also wondering if I should request a trigger job when they have it. It measures about a 4 and one half pound pull right now. Would I feel an improvement in weight or smoothness?

Your experience and suggestions on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: new fore end?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:27:26 AM »
Firstly, Welcome aboard. The old standard was they would not supply a free trigger job if the trigger measures out at under 5 pounds. You could get one but you would have to pay for it and the lowest they will take it is 3.5 ponds I believe. They have never to my knowledge done a custom fit to a forearm barrel channel. One size fits all. If you are not sure ask them and understand and be satisfied with the answer and by all means don't gp forward wihout knowing what they are donig and how much it will cost. That lack of knowledge and understanding on the customers part (your part in this case) is what causes hard feelings and complaints. If you do not know what you have agreed to you have no reason to be unhappy or complain if you do not get what you wanted or expected. Good luck....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:15:37 AM »
JPS

As far as i know H&R only has one forearm channel contour , kinda 1 size fits all , at least that had been what i have found to be true so far . the one that came on my 22LR Sportster is the same as the ones on my 20 ga. and my 223 Bull barrel .

As far as the trigger job , MSP is right , in the past if it is below 5 LBs they will not work on it , if you look in the H&R centerfire forum under FAQs you will find a link on how to do your own trigger job , not hard at all .

Stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Jack Pine Savage

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:03:04 PM »
Thanks for the helpful information you both supplied. That answers my both of my questions. Now I see no reason to ask for a new fore end as it sounds like all they would do is sell me another one just like the one I already have. Should I send my fore end in with the stock and receiver to have everything fit? As far as the trigger goes, I guess I'll shoot it as is for now. A four and one half lbs. pull isn't the worst I've experienced. 

My gun has a greenish/gray and brown laminated stock with a straight grip. I haven't seen any specs on the stock relative to drop and length of pull, etc., in any of the official H&R literature. Is this stock compatible with shotgun shooting? I guess I should know before I have them fit a 20 or 12 ga. barrel to it. Or would I be better off just buying a new or used H&R made as a shotgun. I get the impression from reading posts that this shouldn't be a problem. Is this correct?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
There have been some special run and special edition models that came out in shotguns with those stocks.  Also, the standard youth 20ga and 410 come with the straight stocks like you have.  There should be no problem with adding any kind of barrel your receiver will accept.  Good luck with all your plans.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
JPS

If this is the style that you have it will work well with both rifle and shotgun barrels . this one came on a shotgun and now lives on my 45/70 .

Also you may want to ship just the frame not the stocks as H&R has been known to damage them from time to time , not on perpose , but these things happen , it will also save on the shipping costs .

just an idea .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Jack Pine Savage

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, my stock is shaped like the one you posted Stimpy. The only difference is mine has some green color in it. Cookieman, if you are saying that these straight wristed stocks are used on the youth models does that mean that they have a slightly shorter length of pull than the normal length stock? Or do you mean that this STYLE of stock is used on the standard size guns and youth models with (presumably) appropriately sized butt stocks for the standard and youth model? I've been thinking I may want to add a good recoil pad, either slip on or ground to fit, but if this stock is a shorter youth length it would be easiest to go with a slip-over Simms as the added length wouldn't hurt on a shorter than normal stock. What would the pull be for a youth version and exactly how does one measure it - from recoil pad to face of trigger?

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:28:20 PM »
The stock pictured by stimpy is a special run.  Those are not "stock" stocks.  This is what the youth factory stocks look like.

The LOP listed in the catalog is 12 1/2" for this model.  But, you want to measure it anyway.  Sometimes they are incorrect in the catalog.  You are correct on how to measure it.  As to whether you can get "straight" stocks in adult LOP from H&R, I don't know.  You would have to call and check it out. 
Using a slip on pad would get you to about 13 1/4 or maybe 13 1/2.  The Lams in straight stock are gettin' harder to find. 
Here is the link to Gunstocks  http://www.gunstocksinc.com/  check with them if you want extra forends to go with each barrel.
cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:57:40 PM »
The last I heard, HR was out of the Tracker I barrels.  I guess, if it were me, I would try to find a 20ga on the rack at a local store and Then send that in for a slug barrel.  You could send off for stocks to get it the way you want it and that way, if your 30-30 barrel need bedding or any of that stuff you get you the accuracy you want, it wouldn't have to be messed with anymore.  Its gonna cost you around $100 to have a barrel added at the factory, by the time you add the shipping and fitting cost.  So, the difference in price isn't as much as you think, and you would have a complete 2nd gun and wouldn't have to worry about changin' forends back and forth.  Just my 2 cents....food for thought.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 05:46:08 AM »
The straight lams are available from H&R, or at least they're listed in the 2005 Parts lists which can be found in the Centerfire FAQs, here's a direct link. They come in cinnamon or camo, youth or adult. I don't think those listed are checkered, but they should be available too, but you'd have to ask for them from H&R. (866)776-9292 toll free.

Tim

2005 Retail Parts Price List
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jack Pine Savage

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful information. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just keep the 30-.30 the way it is and buy a dedicated shotgun and get an extra slug barrel for that... Uh-oh, I think I'm hooked...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:03 PM »
LOL, it's too late for ya now, you've become infected already!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 06:15:18 AM »
I sent a Sidekick to NEF because the trigger was way to lite. It came back almost the same as I sent in so I bought a trigger gauge and it measured in at 1 1/2 lbs. Sent it in again and it came back at 2 1/2 lbs. Not sure I will send it in again.
Grant
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.

Offline Jack Pine Savage

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 05:07:08 PM »
1 1/2 pounds IS a little too light...

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

Picked up this gem today for $69.00 which is going to be a cabin gun workhorse. Never had a shotgun pull up so natural into my shoulder and be right on. Gonna be some birds in the frying pan next fall  ;)

Anyway I swapped out the wood for fiberglass from a handi rifle which now sports a choate varmint stock. The forearm from the handi is extremely tight on the shotgun. I applied grease on the pivot point but my question is if it is too tight can it crack the fiberglass at the pivot point? I could try light sanding on the curve of the fiberglass I guess. The wood piece was very loose in comparison.

And I see the factory has two swivel types they offer from the link above.

Is the $3.00 simply the stud and the $4.00 actually the stud with swivel attached...correct?

I searched FAQ for swivel installation...not finding anything. Do they simply screw in like a wood screw. Can or should one apply anything to make it solid such as a small dab of epoxy?

Here it is in fiberglass. The orig fiberglass came off a 30-06 handi and I kept the steel piece in the stock  but I'm thinking of taking it out since it defintely shoulders different now and I doubt I'll be shooting 3" shells often anyway.

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 07:09:51 AM »
Doesn't the raised comb on that stock get in the way of getting a proper sight pictuer with the bead ? I bet you could trade even up for a regular synthetic stock  with someone in the classifieds.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »
D'oh I never even notice that.

I'm going back to wood because the fiberglass made it worse.

And I don't think I want the swivels now, they'll just have a tendency to snag something  :P

Never mind my questions but enjoy the pic's  8)
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/