Author Topic: Model 70 XTR .225  (Read 783 times)

Offline dalv

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 70 XTR .225
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:20 PM »
Hello All,
Looking for help deciding on Model 70 in .225.  I ran across one while looking for a 204 to add to the collection.  Not real familar with Winchester - have a classic Model 52 Pre - A I love to shoot targets with.  I have done some research on the net and find the .225 was a short lived caliber overrun by the 22/250.  Some of the reading says it is actually a very accurrate varmit/target round that only went away cause the 22/250 was better.
Anyway, this is a XTR with rings/mount - iron sights have been removed screws in place on the barrel as well as screws on side of receiver - I'm guessing for peep sight?  Wood stock in great shape, jeweled bolt overall probably 85%.  Asking $425.

Couple questions and open for opinions:

1) On a return visit to gunshop can you give me an idea on date of manufacture by serial number ie. rough range of numbers that would give me an idea how old it is.  Also, does anybody know years this caliber was made?
2) Is 225 ammo available - I do reload so buying factory ammo I would save brass and get a set of dies (I hope they are available) - the shop with the gun did have 1 box on the shelf so that would be a start.
3)$425 sound reasonable?
4) If barrel is shot out, can I rebarrel with aftermarket barrel and could I change caliber (204, 22 hornet,22/250 ?)

I know that is more than a couple questions but I am curious on this caliber I was not familar with before seeing it on the shelf. I enjoy the varmit rounds (.223 Tikka 595) because they are pleasant to shoot at the range, reloadable and can be highly accurate - love those small groups!
I thought you guys might be able to chime in on whether this is a "keeper".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Model 70 XTR .225
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:37:53 AM »
Buy it.
Buy it now.
If you don't buy it let me know where it is.

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »
the 225 win is a great varmint cartridge . the velocity is only slightly slower than the 22-250 but much faster than the 223 and 222 class . the 225 was originally in the winchester line to replace the 220 swift .  winchester still makes 225 factory ammo and it is available along with factory brass for reloading . i am guessing that your gun was manufactured in the early to mid 80's that's when they had the XTR  line and they stopped chambering the 225 around that time also . as far as re-barreling the action you would need to have some work done on the bolt face because the 225 is a semi rimmed case .
if you are looking for a varmint gun that's not the general run of the mill caliber than don't pass this up ! you wont be disappointed .

Offline dalv

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
Holy Crap Batman!

Thanks for the enthusiastic response.  Now I have a problem, I went to look at the CZ line (527) in .204 tonight - sweet!  Tried to put the 225 out of mind and go with my original plan but you guys make the 225 sound good.  I did check the shop I was in tonight to see if they had any 225 ammo/brass - no go. Guy behind counter didn't know anything about it.
Got home, reloaded some .223 @ 45gr for evaluation this weekend (if we don't get a foot of snow as predicted!)
CZ's are really nice but pricey $550-$750 when I can get the 70XTR for $450+/-.
I checked out some reloading suppliers and the dies are available so if the brass is there.....oh man!
Hairtrigger - it's in NY...you make it sound like a deal
Shooter - that's exactly what I've been reading...only gamble is if it is shot out but it sounds like it could be revised if needed to alternate caliber, or refitted with a new 225 barrel.

Decisions!  I guess the CZ will be there later...the 70 might not   :-\

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »
daly ,
i would think it would be kind of rare for a sporter rifle barrel to be shot out . if it was set up as a bench gun or a heavy varmint rifle maybe the previous owner could have shot it enough to shoot it out . i would think the barrel should be fine , the place to check is just in front of the chamber ,  if you can see the lands and groves good there you will be good to go .