Author Topic: Which is safer, Rifle or Shotgun  (Read 1540 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Which is safer, Rifle or Shotgun
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:10:26 PM »

This article was in NRA American Hunter Feb 2008
Pa, state Legislators paid $41,500 to Mountaintop Technologies of Johnstown Pa, assisted by ballistics experts from the US Army, It compared a 30-06 Rifle a 50 caliber Muzzle loader, and a 12 Gauge shot gun,
There findings were In the long range Test The 06 traveled 2 ½ miles, the 12 Gauge slug was a close second at 2 miles, and the 50 went 1 ¾ miles, The study also found that during a ricochet / distance test the shotgun slug could actually travel farther than the rifle bullet.

Kind of makes you think why  are there  shotgun only areas,

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Which is safer, Rifle or Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »
Most gun accidents are at very close range.  Bad handling practiced and mistaken targets probably head the list.  I am amazed at the number of people killed while turkey hunting, especially in states that allow fall seasons that overlap with deer seasons.  People have been shot in tree stands even.

I can recall one long range accident envolving a road hunter killing a person walking through a field.  Most other accidents have been at ranges where the choice of weapon would not have influenced the death of the person who was shot.  Loading, unloading, cleaning, and removing weapons from vehicles seem to be major causes.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
I've always wondered why a centerfire was bad but you could use buckshot....which will penetrate brush, etc. far better than a rifle bullet....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:02:24 AM »
school of thought on it is that because buckshot and slugs are a 50-100 yard propostion that guys wont be shooting out 300 yards at a target that is harder to identify.
blue lives matter

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:31:42 AM »
As with all gun related discussions, most are opinions and conjecture, I would agree with you, except for the fact that with the addition of the Sabots in both Shotgun and Muzzle loader, as well as the 209 ignition, and I believe it is Savage that has come out with a smokeless powder muzzle loader, all of these weapons are very capable of 200 + yard shots.
For years the 3030 was known as a 100 yard rifle. But I know of guys who have made shots in the 150  plus yard range with little problem.
And today with the new Hornady Flex tip Ammo, that wall to have been removed. I like some of the previous posters believe, you will always have a few that will attempt shots above there skill and weapon, and here lies the problem.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:24:45 AM »
ya i guess thinking on it after what you read i can see where even my argument doesnt hold up anymore.
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »
From my "close aboard" thinking, if purely accidental, a "near miss" from a muzzle loader or rifle is just that.  Not so from a shotgun, where it is doubtful the shot pattern would miss altogether.

Too many variables for this to be answered either "Black" or "White".

Offline born-to-hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »
someone told me the reason rifles are illegal in Ohio is because how flat it is but it aint all that flat and there are so much woods and corn fields I bet a rifle through a corn field won't be that fast hittin all dem corn stocks but i get by pretty well with a shotgun it gives you a reason to get a little closer.
Look a distraction!!!

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »
The area I hunt is hilly, But I hunt from a tree stand, just me but I like the idea of shooting downward, I believe there is less chance of a mishap, but as with anything in life, there are no guarantees, here in Pa, two incidents come to mind, a couple years back, a guy was shot out of a tree stand, the guy that hit him was on the ground, but at a higher elevation on another hill top.
Some year’s back a guy was target shooting in the spring of the year, this was terrible, but unforeseeable. They found that a 22 long rifle round had missed his back stop, and traveled 1 mile threw a forest, and was still able to penetrate a house trailer and struck a baby in its crib.
Both of these were very freak accidents, and should have never happened but did.
When I introduced my grandson to firearms, two points I made very clear to him, first, there is no such thing as being to careful with any weapon, and yes it is a weapon if not used properly, the other was, that once the bullet leaves the barrel, nothing on earth or heaven can put it back, nor will any amount of apologies make a tragedy right.

Offline Sensai

• Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 07:42:47 AM »
I live in the eastern part of Virginia, so I'm limited to deer hunting locally with a shotgun.  I feel that I have much less control of where the projectile(s) will stop than if I were using a rifle.  At least with a rifle I can be sure of my target and the backstop.  With a shotgun I can be sure of my target, but the backstop depends on pattern and deflection.

One more point; I have never heard of anyone being shot in a hunting "accident" that was the gun's fault.  There was always a human initiating the action in one way or another.  I feel fairly confident that the same "accidents" will happen no matter what kind of gun is used.  If it's capable of killing a deer, it's capable of killing a person.  The only real safety is between our ears.
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
I live in Va also and the laws make little sense . Henrico co. one of the most urban, rifle if in an elevated stand. Chesterfield also alot urban no rifle for deer but ok for every other game animal even turkeys can be hunted with a 50 BMG if you like . Lousia not urban at all and hills but its buckshot only . ITS POLITICAL !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
Some times it just makes you scratch your head, who is thinking some of this stuff up, Here in Pa, no Sunday hunting, Well except Crows, Fox, Coyotes and pigs.
Then you get into the Special Regulation Areas. It reads, All of Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Co, Muzzle loading long guns 44-caliber or above, bows and arrows, Manual or semi-auto shot guns .410 or larger using slugs and 20 gauge or larger using buckshot. Buckshot may not be used in Allegheny Co,
Only Bows and Arrows permitted in Philadelphia Co, Tell me you don’t have to read this twice to figure out what they are talking about.

Offline Sensai

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
You're right SHOOTALL, it doesn't make sense.  I'm just concerned that if I make too much noise about it they'll make me stop shooting tree rats with my '06.  :D :o

Gary

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
You bark um too ?

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
Eastern VA and NC are traditional dog hunting areas and it is frowned upon to shoot anything but a shotgun.  Most clubs I've hunted with do not allow slugs, only buckshot.  When dog drivers are walking through the woods toward standers, it makes sense to limit the killing range and to make certain what you ae shooting at.

We have some mighty big fields in eastern NC and non-dog hunters now use rifles.  Some dog hunters use rifles as well, and that is scary when a deer runs across private land in view of a road full of dog hunters hoping to catch their dogs and/or kill the deer. 

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
I live in the eastern part of Virginia, so I'm limited to deer hunting locally with a shotgun.  I feel that I have much less control of where the projectile(s) will stop than if I were using a rifle.  At least with a rifle I can be sure of my target and the backstop.  With a shotgun I can be sure of my target, but the backstop depends on pattern and deflection.

One more point; I have never heard of anyone being shot in a hunting "accident" that was the gun's fault.  There was always a human initiating the action in one way or another.  I feel fairly confident that the same "accidents" will happen no matter what kind of gun is used.  If it's capable of killing a deer, it's capable of killing a person.  The only real safety is between our ears.

Reminds me of a hunting safety quiz question. "What part of the shotgun prevents it from firing accidentally." The answer of course was "The safety" but my first thought when I read it was, "The guy carrying the shotgun"

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 04:36:17 AM »
I remember that question brought up when I was a teenager and my parents signed me up for shooting instruction at a local armory.  The answer to the question was," At close range they are both equally dangerous and should be handled appropriately."

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
in Ohio you can use any rifle under .50 cal for squirrel and any rifle for yotes but only shotgun for deer
Look a distraction!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »
so do those squirrels get that big ? how many will a hind quater feed ? ;D

Offline Sensai

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:12 AM »
SHOOTALL, yep bark 'em or head shots on the ground.  I use some really slow reloads with cast bullets (boolits) for small game, just to keep in touch with my rifle.

charles p,  I understand about the dog hunters.  There are a lot of them around here too.  I don't hunt deer with dogs.  Nothing wrong with it, I just don't enjoy it.  I sure would like to have the choice of using my rifle on my own land, though.  I never pull the trigger without a positive ID on the target, and what's behind it.

Gary

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »

a hind quarter will feed a family of four for a month those things are gettin big in fact in spain instead of running with bulls they come to America for our giant squirrels and run with them now and forget shotguns with little bird shot you need slugs!  :o ::) ;D
Look a distraction!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
That was good !  ;D

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »

a hind quarter will feed a family of four for a month those things are gettin big in fact in spain instead of running with bulls they come to America for our giant squirrels and run with them now and forget shotguns with little bird shot you need slugs!  :o ::) ;D

I used to live in Ohio and those things are huge. I saw one once storing food for the winter. You shoulda seen the size of his nuts.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »

a hind quarter will feed a family of four for a month those things are gettin big in fact in spain instead of running with bulls they come to America for our giant squirrels and run with them now and forget shotguns with little bird shot you need slugs!  :o ::) ;D

I used to live in Ohio and those things are huge. I saw one once storing food for the winter. You shoulda seen the size of his nuts.

you're lucky to make it out alive when those things look for food I have seen them take children :o
Look a distraction!!!

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 07:19:26 PM »

you're lucky to make it out alive when those things look for food I have seen them take children :o

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp1.blogger.com/_gwiXbQ4HapM/R-0R7FDS7qI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/tRf2p_3g9V0/s400/actionfigs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dojorat.blogspot.com/2008/03/giant-squirrel-terrorizes-suburban.html&h=272&w=400&sz=36&tbnid=g7QS1h4DzyVBRM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgiant%2Bsquirrel&hl=en&usg=__KbqikTYBGRMkDjSO5kWnQmm4XjE=&sa=X&ei=VC1BTP-SI8P88Ab_3uTKDw&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAQ

That guys a damn fool. Sometimes they are just stunned and wakeup.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp1.blogger.com/_gwiXbQ4HapM/R-0R7FDS7qI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/tRf2p_3g9V0/s400/actionfigs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dojorat.blogspot.com/2008/03/giant-squirrel-terrorizes-suburban.html&h=272&w=400&sz=36&tbnid=g7QS1h4DzyVBRM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgiant%2Bsquirrel&hl=en&usg=__KbqikTYBGRMkDjSO5kWnQmm4XjE=&sa=X&ei=VC1BTP-SI8P88Ab_3uTKDw&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAQ

ah and thats a youngin too some people are just so crazy to test their luck hunting dangerous game like squirrels I would rather hunt safer game like cape buffalo or lion.
Look a distraction!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 04:26:20 AM »

ah and thats a youngin too some people are just so crazy to test their luck hunting dangerous game like squirrels I would rather hunt safer game like cape buffalo or lion.

You say that in jest but if one ever run up the leg of your pants you might really become a beliver ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:56 AM »

You say that in jest but if one ever run up the leg of your pants you might really become a beliver ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ha ha I had one jump on my friends back while we were walking through the woods there were these vines and it ran down jumped on him and took off
Look a distraction!!!