Author Topic: Turkeys are tough  (Read 718 times)

Offline prairiedog555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Turkeys are tough
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »
I was out in NE Kansas in a cut bean field along a stream bed with my set up of decoys.  It was just light.  First 2 Does came all the way across the field running at my decoys, they stopped about 15 yd from me and studied the decoys, and one nudged one and pushed it over, never did smell me and walked off, (I think I will set up a turkey decoy in deer season)
Anyway, later the flock flew in, about 20, hens and toms, and stayed just out of gun range.  Along came Mr. coyote, sniffing around, they didn't even look up.  But he must have got too close and one of the Toms flapped and chased him into the woods.  Coyote ran like a rabbit.
I think I know what he was scared of.  Last year the kid shot a Jake and didn't kill it, I grabbed the neck to wring it like a pheasant.  Bad move.  He dug his claws into my leg real good, still have the scar, I mean a 10 incher, real deep. 
Just think how tough he would have been if he was all growed up and not wounded.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Turkeys are tough
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
They're tough in a number of ways.
Tough to hunt sometimes, tough to kill if shot is off a bit, and like you mentioned, tough to fight by hand  :o  :)

Sounds like your hunting trip was awesome though.  You didn't harvest, but what a morning out in the field!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Shooter973

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »
Yeah those turkeys are tough!!!  :o When I was at the rifle range a few days ago, with my son and a bunch of other shooters, we had about 20-25 of them fly over our heads and land out at about the 150 yard distance from us. They flew right over us at tree top  height and then walked around until they had to be chased off the range so we could start shooting again.  ::) And several times we saw them at the gate to the range (30-40 of them) just walking around. Had to shoo them out of the way to drive into the range.
Real tough to hunt those birds I guess. Could have shot a truck load of them with a 22 or a shotgun.  :-*

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:42:30 PM »
Last year the kid shot a Jake and didn't kill it, I grabbed the neck to wring it like a pheasant.  Bad move.  He dug his claws into my leg real good, still have the scar, I mean a 10 incher, real deep. 
Just think how tough he would have been if he was all growed up and not wounded.

I made that same mistake this year with this bird.

Let me tell you, I'll never do that again!  Didn't take me long to turn him aloose either!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club