Author Topic: Youth turkey load  (Read 842 times)

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
Youth turkey load
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »
Anyone have a prefered load for a youth gun.
Have a 20 ga mod barrel 3 in
12 ga with screw in xx full turkey choke
20 ga non handi (franchi) 2 3/4 in chamber with a polly choke

Don't want to kick him stupid but he would like to try Turkey hunting this year & we have a youth season weekend before regular season opens

Any sugjestions.

Have some shells at home they are
20 ga #6 pheasent 1oz 2 3/4
12 ga 1 1/2 oz #6  2 3/4
12 ga 1 1/4 oz # 6 2 3/4
12 ga 1 3/8 oz #5 2 3/4

Any sugestions on gun/load/choke will be appreciated
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Youth turkey load
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 01:55:41 AM »
Before we all became magnumized an awful lot of turkeys fell to the standard  12 and 20 ga. shotgun loadings.  At reasonable ranges ( 40 yds or less ) either the 20 ga load of 1 oz #6 or the 12 ga load 1 1/4 oz #6 should do fine.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »
Well I'd put away the 20 ga mod choke you would be limting the range way to much.  The 20 with the polly choke will work if you can crank it down to an extra full.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline varmitbob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
My kids use #5 Shot with a full choke.  I did not buy them a turkey choke yet, because they are not quite that accurate with their shotguns when faced with a big old tom.  1-1/4" oz in a 3" hull using longshot powder.  They both have gotten turkeys with this combination.   When they are going to be doing alot of practice shooting, I move the target in and use 2-3/4" #6 loads to get them warmed up, and then move the target out and put the 3" loads in.  This has worked well in building their confidence.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:57:00 AM »
Let him practice on turkey targets with some light target loads.  Don't let him see what you are loading into the gun on hunting morning, and drop in some big turkey loads. 

With the adrenaline rush of pulling the trigger on his first turkey, he will never feel or remember the gun kicking.  Its only the anticipation of noise and recoil that makes it hurt.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 04:39:08 AM »
I have always been partial to #5 shot but I would say try the 20 gauge full choke at around 35 yards and perhaps a bit further with 2/3/4" #6 shot (and #5 if you can find it), Use which ever gives you the best pattern and know you most effective range and then stay within it...Good luck, you are in for a lot of fun with your son....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley