Author Topic: Limited to just one???  (Read 1014 times)

Offline whacker

• Trade Count: (0)
Limited to just one???
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
I know this would be impossible for some of us, ok most of us and I mybe off my rocker :P, But if you were limited to just one shotgun (H&R /NEF) for all your smallgame hunting what would you choose. Oh, and if you hunt waterfowl add this in as well. ;D

thanks whacker
you have to shoot good, to eat good 8)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Limited to just one???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 04:50:38 PM »
12 gauge TDC, without a doubt and without a second thought ....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
I'll second that. 12 gauge for sure.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
12ga TDC would get my vote. I've got a ton of others that I love but if I had to pick just one that would be it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »
12ga with screw in chokes either a Pardner or TDC.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »
Yep, 12ga TDC.  With the right ammo, it will kill anything on this side of the world.  Provided I do my part. ;)
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 03:17:19 AM »
With the proper ammo what wouldn't it kill anywhere in the world given a well placed shot. Not the gun I would choose to hunt thick skinned affrican game but if an angry elephant ever charges me while squirrel hunting in Delaware......
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 06:29:01 AM »
Yeah, I guess the early double rifles weren't much different than a 12ga slug gun.  They killed a lot of big game with them.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:08:02 AM »
To All,

I thought the 20ga. TDC was to end it all, but it was alittle to heavy, to tote around all day rabbit hunting. The plan now is for the youth gun with the choke tube barrel. I got it last week and have put a TDC butt stock and a TJC forearm and I think this will do it, but then again we will see!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 11:55:41 AM »
My 12-gauge Pardner, but with choke tubes installed and some kind of removable sight for slugs. Light 1-ounce loads of #6 through a modified tube for squirrels, #8 trap loads and a skeet tube for grouse, rifle sights and Foster slugs for deer.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:03:32 PM »
12 gauge Pardner here too

Add adjustable sights and a Survivor stock and fore end.

Lastly a stock ammo holder and sling

Later
Kid

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 09:15:34 AM »
I have  12 GA. TDC., in a Survivor stock set, with Tru-Glo rib rifle sights, and a complete set of Carlson tubes. With this rig, I can do it all. ;D
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline whacker

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 05:59:16 AM »
Quite interesting that most of you picked a 12ga over any other gauge except forghunter who choose a 20ga. So after reading all your answers I thought long and hard (which my wife says could cause brain damage) I to would pick the 20ga for these reasons.     
1.not as much recoil, 2.with shells from 3in. mags to 2 3/4 dove loads this would cover all my small game & waterfowl needs for I don't hunt geese on a regular basis and you can dispatch turkey just fine with a 20ga. 3.I can carry more shells in 20ga then 12ga.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:36:20 AM »
Oh my gosh!!! I completely missed the small game aspect of the request, I was thinking only one H&R/NEF shotgun for everything including deer, bear, squirrels, rabbits etc. Strictly for small game I think I might also go with the 20, unless waterfowl were added to the mix, then the 12 gauge would win. Even better but not offered as a choice, my favorite, the venerable 16 gauge, and making a comeback I hear....<><.... ;D 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
Oops, I did the same thing as MSP when I originally read your first post.  I too missed the words "small game".  If you take deer, geese, piggies, and the like out of the scenario I would opt for a 20ga. with screw in chokes.   If 16ga ammo were as easy to find and the selection was as broad as it is for 20ga. ammo, that would be an option as well but until that happens I will stick to the 20ga.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »
Got to admit :o I missed that part too.  My 20's are my GO TO guns.  But, everyone needs a 12ga and a 410 and a....OH WELL.  I can't help it...I want JUST ONE of everything ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline whacker

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 07:56:14 AM »
Cookie: The gun you are referriing to that shoots slug & shot is called a (paradox gun)  they have used them in Africa for years.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
The Dixie slugs are made, designed, cast, and loaded to resemble to parabox shells, full diameter, very hard cast, and high velocity for maximum penetration and shock in large and dangerous game. They would be great in a shotgun for large bears and big hogs, as well as Rhino and possibly Elephant!!! They are great for a powerful round out of a shotgun, I have shot them and keep a box in the locker, just in case ;) ....<><.... ;D