Author Topic: Mule Deer  (Read 702 times)

Offline Bill Pemberton

• Trade Count: (0)
Mule Deer
« on: May 02, 2003, 07:24:37 AM »
Folks,    I will be retiring to northern New Mexico this summer and would like to ask about hunting mule deer.    Does anyone hunt the like we do here in the midwest?   I mean like stand hunting over trails, scrapes, and near feeding and bedding areas.   The films I mostly see about mule deer seem to be long range spotting and shooting.    
     Can Mule deer be hunted successfully using tactics which work on Whitetails??       Is there anyone out there in the Taos area who would be willing to "lead me by the hand" until I learn what is going on in the west.

Thank you,   Bill

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Mule Deer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 10:38:02 AM »
You might want to also post on the Western Big Game Forum. Probably more mule deer hunters there.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Mule Deer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 08:47:14 PM »
Bill,

I moved to MT Dec.2001, and got to hunt muleys last year for the first time. Where we hunted at, there was whitetails and muleys. To me, muleys are easer to hunt, as they offer mush more opportunities than whitetails. We mainly did spot and stalk, or would just sit on  aridge we knew was a travel area, and wait them out. We all tagged at elast one muley last year, and it was great fun!

HogFan

Offline DesertRam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Mule Deer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 05:09:14 AM »
Bill, although we use a lot of spot and stalk (both hiking and driving to glassing areas), some of the tactics you use for whitetails will work too.  If you can pin down the travel routes or feeding areas of a nice buck, setting up over it will certainly work.  If the country allows it, a treestand works quite well.  Their rutting behavior is somewhat different than whitetails (from what I understand - I've never hunted whitetails), but when it comes down to it, they're still hormone charged males looking for some tail, and this can be capitalized on.  

The best way to learn their habits is to spend some time in their country.  Head out well before the hunting season and just see what you can see.  Be aware though that many of the big muleys in parts of northern NM are in fact part of a migration from southern CO, so their presence my be variable depending weather and a variety of other factors.