Author Topic: About that Imus flap  (Read 1091 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
About that Imus flap
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:38 PM »
Here is what the local paper said in a editoral. After is my reply as a letter to the editor. Wether they publish it or not remains to be seen as I sent it email tonite and I just had a letter published yesterday on a different topic. Anyway:
EDITORIAL: Shock jock words, sadly, resolate with many listeners
The Daily Telegram
Published Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Lock Don Imus and Michael Richards in a room and what do you get? Two bad-hair baboons whose outrageous behavior earned them millions and propelled them above the Iraq war on CNN.

“I’m a good person, but I said a bad thing,” shock jock Imus said in a Monday apology for making racially charged comments about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team. He also called them “hos,” slang for “whores,” but ironically, nobody is getting very upset about that.

Imus response is shallow and doesn’t represent an apology. More correctly, it’s a white man’s gasp for air after finally being outed for what he really is.

For years, Imus has been a verbal alchemist, converting rough, inappropriate talk into cold, hard cash. Have we forgotten the face-to-face insults, thinly veiled as jokes, he unleashed against Bill and Hillary Clinton a few years back? Doesn’t anyone care about the way he characterizes persons of Mideast descent in the guise of discrediting terrorists?

He certainly deserves the job suspension announced early today, but it’s merely a slap on the wrist. Even worse than what Imus said is the American public’s desire to hear more of it. Imus is the architypal shock jock who is being cloned almost daily into new manifestations such as Jerry Springer, Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh, who combine gimmicks, half-truths and commentary with a dash of venom to grab attention in an increasingly crowded radio world.

Imus’ unfortunate words won’t disappear until Imus does. But he and his clones are destined to survive until people shed their desire to hear ridicule, sarcasm and even racism peddled as entertainment. At this juncture, there doesn’t appear to be an end in sight. It’s a sad reflection on our society.

Letter to the Editor, I just read your article on Don Imus and I felt I needed to reply. What he said was out of line, what Richard's said was wrong also. I do not think anyone will disagree about that. But the biggest wrong on this whole issue is Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton having a fit over this because white men said it and playing the race card. There is no doubt that black men are just as racist and as far as they treat their women just listen to some of their song lyrics, very disrespectful to women. What I think is interesting is hardly anyone is upset about the HO remarks but more upset about the nappy hair remarks? Whats with that? Its ok evidently to Jessie and Al that they were called Ho's, but do not refer to their hair styles? I hate rap and do not listen to it but have heard it while out in public and I wonder why Al and Jessie do not complain about the way they treat women in those lyrics? Why the double standard? For the record I never knew who Imus was until this hit the news I do not listen to him and I have no clue even what radio stations play his program. I just do not care for the double standards that Jackson and Sharpton play on this race issue. IF your going to play the race card then play in on a even field and clean up your back yard first before hollering about the neighbors. One other thing I guess I am old fashioned I never got into this slang bit when I was growing up a ho (hoe) was for chopping weeds. A whore was the correct way to spell what every one says nowdays as ho. For those that do not know better that is understandable, but why the media embraces this way of saying it is beyond me.

JH
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline victorcharlie

Re: About that Imus flap
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:27:46 AM »
No doubt the comments were insulting to the Lady Scarlet Knights.  That said, I find a lot of things insulting everyday.

Am I outraged by such comments?  No.

I do think I tend to judge people by their appearance.  I try not to, but I must admit I do.  First impressions mean a lot.

One the other hand, if you choose to look like a thug, then I guess you have to expect to be treated like one, at least until those around them realize they arn't what they appear.

Society used to have rules that governed appearance.   Now, anything goes and it's okay to defile you body how ever you choose.  I'm supposed to accept it as normal.

I'm trying.....saddly, I ain't there yet.

I do realize there are some good people behind the freak show.  I just have a hard time deciding which ones they are........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:16:43 AM »
About 6 or 7 years ago, a 11 year old black girl, was killed, when she ran out into the street, and was killed by a pick up truck. There was a local Rev., by the name of Rose, that was a MLK wanna be. He was raising a real stink, because the Toledo police didn't charge the driver with anything.(there was a couple of empty beer cans in the back of his truck) So, the Rev. Al Sharpton flew in from NY to help protest. Except, when he found out the driver of the pick up was Mexican, he left the next day. His comment to the news media, Well, he's another minority, and we don't want to make it any worse for him. Guess he wasn't quite white enough!! The driver by the way, was determined to be completely sober, and was driving a couple mph under the speed limit. It was just a bad accident. But the old Rev. Al sure wanted to make a big deal out of it, IF the driver would have been white. We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:31 AM »
I heard it phrased best when I heard Jackson and Sharpton described as "manufacturers of outrage".

Where are their congregations anyway?  Who is buying their airline tickets for all of these trips to areas needing an angrier mob?
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 04:02:48 AM »
For my part, I'm sick of all this apologizing and slobbering all over one's self when race is involved.  I long for the good old days when you could call a spade a spade.  If the spade don't like it, who cares.

The biggest hypocrisy that I see these days is that anyone can call the President anything they want, and nobody gets bent out of shape, but if you stray a little from what is considered racially/ politically incorrect by the holier-than-thou in the elite media and intelligentsia..., well it almost brings on an act of Congress.
Swingem

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:06:35 AM »
I don't like shock jocks, being rude, crude, and disrespectful is nothing to brag about. Imus was wrong for saying what he did, no doubt. But, had a black man said it, they'd all of had a big laugh, called each other a few choice names, and went on their way. Sharpton and jackson make their living from being black and stirring the pot. Their sole purpose for being is to incite others and making mountains out of molehills. I'm sure they leave big city's with more money than they came with. I've seen them protest in Lou many times over the years, then leave abruptly, no doubt amply compensated for their trouble by the taxpayers. Where are their churches??? Don't reverands have churches that they use to try and save souls??? Those 2 are as big of an embarrassment to the black race, as imus and others are to the rest of us. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:40:32 AM »
I really don't agree with either side ! Both have to shock to be heard , cause their content is weak !
But I have to ask , have we spent so much time on gun rights we have lost freedom of speech ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline wncchester

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:01 AM »
Before I can get excited about what someone says I have to care what he/she thinks.  Why the team is so "hurt" is beyond my comprehension.  Grow up ladies, life will overwhelm you if let this kind of foolishness get under your skin.  

I don't care what Imus says or thinks and am amused at the hubbub.  It just looks like a media event on a slow news cycle as they give attention to various racial demagogues.  

Enough already!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:03:44 AM »
  I did chuckle but then i thought...........This guys in deep do-do.  On the other hand if he were a Rapper, who can say what they please, somebody would surly say he plagiarised the word.......Ho.   :-X
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:19:52 AM »
Some one ask which church Al and Jesse preach at , THE CHURCH of THE OFFENDED of course !
Membership limited to workable cases only !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline S.S.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 05:28:44 AM »
AS OPRAH HERSELF SAID.... There is a little Mark Furman in all whites...
What ever happens to IMUS needs to happen to her also for that slanderous
remark... OOPS ! She owns her show and could buy her own network !!
Guess She can say whatever she pleases and get away with it...  ::)
Just about every time Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson opens their mouth they
spew something offensive..  FREE SPEECH ! FREE SPEECH ! for IMUS TOO !

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 05:50:30 AM »
Although I can't stand the guy, I think Howard Stern was right when he said Imus should have just said something to the effect of "go to _ _ _ _ it was a dumb joke."  People have lost sight of the fact that words are not deeds and that Imus did not (do) anything wrong.  It seems we can't make that distinction any more.  Imus can say what he wants, but if he gets punched out for something he said, that is OK too.  I subscribe to the idea that if you don't like it turn it off.

Also anybody who thinks Sharpton or Jackson have any credibility on this stuff is either an idiot or is an ... idiot!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:47:24 AM »
I find it interesting that the Today show this morning pretty much covered the same idea I wrote to the paper last night about a double standard and if a black  rapper would have said it nothing would have been said. So I guess I am not the only one who feels that way.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 09:53:33 AM »
There is I think, and probably should be, double standards for a number of things.
Many jumped on Zumo and he lost his job. Probably Imus is history, probably should be. We have no right to be so slanderous. He went over the top and should have too pay for the remarks.
Folks we have too keep our wits when discussing others, don't let your eyes roll too the back of your head and be the second one to know what you say.
It is sad and I am sad for Imus, wish he hadn't said it--it was embarrassing for me, as a white person, too hear another white person speak of anyone in that tone and with that amount of disrespect. Pure ignorance and a lot of hate in it--I didn't find one whit of humor or attempt at humor in the whole of what I heard.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »
Although I can't stand the guy, I think Howard Stern was right when he said Imus should have just said something to the effect of "go to _ _ _ _ it was a dumb joke."  People have lost sight of the fact that words are not deeds and that Imus did not (do) anything wrong.  It seems we can't make that distinction any more.  Imus can say what he wants, but if he gets punched out for something he said, that is OK too.  I subscribe to the idea that if you don't like it turn it off.

Also anybody who thinks Sharpton or Jackson have any credibility on this stuff is either an idiot or is an ... idiot!

EXACTLY, by giving ANY admission of wrong to the 'race-baiting, poverty pimps' Revs Jackson and Sharpton, he opens himself up to further criticism.

If a black person calls me Honkey or Cracker or any other degrading name, he gets a free pass.  If he calls another black a "N-word" he gets a free pass.  Let a white person so much as whisper the same word and he's a racist.  Sounds like a double standard to me.

Racism is wrong, no matter what color you are.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »
"I didn't find one whit of humor or attempt at humor in the whole of what I heard." - Williamlayton

But William, have you ever heard Imus say anything that had wit or was humorous?  ;D

He was just plain stupid to say something like that - especially on national television. If he is a racist pig, he should just keep it to himself.

However, he sure is squirming now. A bunch of his major sponsors have dumped his show and now he is very apologetic.

Strangely, after watching him suffer like a regular guy, I sort of like him better than I did before. He needed his ass kicked a bit.

Look at the coverage he is getting now. Some people had never even heard of Imus before this event happened. Now he is a main topic of every big news show. I'll bet he is getting higher ratings this week than he has ever had in his entire career. Even I have been watching his show since he started getting clobbered, lol. Hope he gets to rest up on his 2 week vacation. :D People will simply be groaning to have him back before the vacation is over.

You guys ever wonder if this whole thing was just drummed up for publicity and ratings? I think it might have.

Skunk
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I've had it with the double standard that some minorities and the media use.  If Imus was black and said those statements, it would not have even made the news.  How many rap songs have the word "Ho" in it?  Hundreds...The fact of the matter is we are all racist..black or white we stick with what we know.  Prejudice is making a choice based on preferences not facts.  It exists everywhere and is just as prevalent in the black community as in the white.  How long must we sit here and stomach the racial card for something that happened over 200+ years ago?  What if the white community had a white history month or WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION or The White American Education Fund? How about WHITiewanzia at Christmas? The black community has all of these things.  The bottom line is that if the white community had these things, it would be considered racist.  If you don't believe me, have your kid try to apply to the ANCF and mark white as race, what are the odds of you getting one?  Slim and None.  The Afirmative Action is another racist movement...Who wants a heart surgeon who got the job just because he was a minority. Most of us would want the best person who knew what they were doing no matter what the color.   Things will never change unless minorities except the fact that they are just as racist as anyone else.  I'm not afraid to admit that I'm racist.  I make choices based on preferences not on facts.  I bought a Dodge truck not because it was the best but because I have always driven Dodge trucks.  I married a white woman because that is what I preferred.  Imus is no more racist that anyone else..I wish he would tell the minority community to all go to %^^% and go to satellite radio.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
one things for sure after the Zumbo thing and now this there seems to be no free speech any more wether it be inflamatory or not say the wrong thing and get the ax.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:47 PM »
This brings up memories of when Howard Cosell said " look at that little monkey run" on Monday night football.  Howard lost his job 30 years ago over a similiar issue.

Wasn't Jimmy the Greek fired over something similar too?

This was much to do about nothing.

As for Imus......I didn't watch or listen to him anyway.  When the advertisers pulled their money then his days were numbered.

It's really all about the Benjamin's........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 02:03:20 AM »
I don't think Zumbo and Imus are comparable. Zumbo made his living inside the GUN CULTURE. Members of this CULTURE basically paid his salary so to speak. The remarks he made basically could have caused damage to the very foundation of his income, and allegedly the folks he represented.
Imus, on the other hand, is his own entity. He represents Imus. I personally think Imus, (a former drug addict) (but then again so is Rush Limbaugh, and the President had a DWI,) was doing what he does. Popping off. He did not embarrass the white race, as far as I can see, he was just giving the people that watch him, what they wanted.
It's like Jerry Springer. He wouldn't have a show, if there weren't people willing to get on national TV, and allow themselves to be made fun of, and there weren't people whom enjoy making fun of them.
The double standard of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS has gone completely out of control, and has eroded our rights as Americans. We have voted for THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS too long, and have made millionaires out of actors, professional athletes, and so on to satisfy our INSTANT GRATIFICATION cravings. WE are in many ways to the ones to blame, as OUR DOLLARS have given these people the NEWS MEDIA PLATFORM to talk over us, and basically RULE OVER US. This country in my opinion, is in a downward spiral of immorality, and this is only the beginning of the consequences. We as a country have lowered our standards, and have willingly accepted less, for our own selfish reasons. Many will disagree, but that's ok too. JMO
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline magooch

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you don't have to pay the consequences for what you say, nor does it mean that sponsors have to pay for your right to say what you say. 

I actually would have had more respect for Imus if he had just said, "blow it out yer ear, morons", instead of making a spectacle out of himself with his wimpy apologies.  I feel much worse for the people who work with Imus on his show.  Imus will be fine (he's richer than god), but they might find themselves looking for a job if the show goes in the ditch.

The thought occurs to me is that if Imus can't be outrageous, then his show is pretty much kaput anyway.
Swingem

Offline jdt48653

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • walk softly and carry a 264
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
THE BLACK COMMUNITY COULD HAVE USED THIS OPPORTUNITY TO FURTHER RACE RELATIONS
BUT THEY TOOK THE O.J. METHODOLOGY

Offline Skunk

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »
"Wasn't Jimmy the Greek fired over something similar too?" - Victorcharlie

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_the_greek

On January 16, 1988, he was fired by the CBS network (where he was a contributor to the NFL Today program since 1976) after commenting to a reporter that African Americans were naturally superior athletes because they had been bred to produce stronger offspring during slavery:

"During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid"—that's where it all started.

I guess it too was a dumb thing to say on national television.

Skunk
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
If memory serves, the Greek didn't make his statements on TV.  No, it was a real underhanded trick perpetrated on him by a couple of unscrupulous reporters who caught hum in a fancy restaurant, after he had drank to much wine. They baited him with questions, and assured him that his reply would be "of the record". The reporters then released it to the national media. MORAL :  Do NOT be candid with reporters. they will only ACT like they turned the camera off !!!!
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox