Author Topic: 3/4 inch scopes  (Read 380 times)

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
3/4 inch scopes
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »
Does anyone know which of the Weaver 3/4 inch scopes were designed for high power rifles. 
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: 3/4 inch scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:09:48 AM »
Some were and some were not. The "J" series, J2.5 and J4 were made with long eye relief for centerfires. I have an old J4 on my Savage M-219 30/30 and it just looks like it belongs there, any larger scope would spoil the slim lines of a classic rifle. I've had several of the J4 and J2.5s over the years and they are good old scopes, maybe not the best in dim light but so far, I can't say they have ever cost me a shot. Now the "B" series and the V3-7 are strictly rimfire scopes with an eye relief of only about two inches. It is getting to be pretty hard to find good 3/4" rings now since most of the cheap .22 scopes of 3/4" now being made come with one piece aluminum rings or even plastic rings which can't be removed for use on another scope. I wish Weaver would revive the "J" scopes, one inch scopes make a slim .22 look top heavy and the so called "compact" scopes look even worse, shorter and fatter.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.