Author Topic: accelerators  (Read 1399 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
accelerators
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:22:34 AM »
have you hear of them or used them? the accelerators came in 30/06,308 and 30/30 and was a .22cal bullet in a sobot for 30 cal rifles.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Questor

Re: accelerators
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:27:02 AM »
I've never tried them. By all accounts I've read and heard they are terrible for accuracy. I have used varmint bullets in .270. Woohoo! Talk about effective on prairie dogs! I used the Hornady Vmax. Very accurate too, and not nearly as affected by wind as 22s.
Safety first

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:29:28 AM »
I HAVE used them.  I tried them with many different loads in quite a few 30 caliber firearms.  And I agree with Questor.  What good is a 30-30 with 22-250 velocities, if 1 in 10 might hit a paper plate at 100 yards?
....make it count

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »
I have  some and use them out of my 308 winchester I loade them with  55 gr FMJ. bullets, they shoot well enough, it doesnt shoot as well as the 30 caliber bullets but not real bad
you can get them all day long off ebay for little money and load them your self

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 06:21:34 AM »
I tried some of the store bought ones in 30-06 when Rem first brought them out.  I didn't have a whole lot of luck with them so I bought a 22-250.  ;D

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »
Ive put quite a few of the 55grns out of my -06, and I have to agree with the others.  They are more of a novelty than anything.  You might use them on coyote or wolf, but nothing that actually requires accuracy.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
  I've shot them in different 3006's over the years and my experience has been they shoot about the same at the gun did with hunting ammo or a little better...

DM

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »
Sad to say this but I invented them. They were designed as a .30 cal sub-munition for the .50 BMG round. Back in 1958 I submitted rounds to Rem and Win. Rem later came out with the stuff in some .30 ammo with a .22 projo. DON'T work!!!!

Good collector ammo however.

Bill

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 02:18:06 AM »
Will Bison:  congradulations on your ingenuity and efforts.  It is sad to say the military didn't use your sub-caliber devise for its intended purposes as your initial concept sounds quite effective.  Mikey.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 03:22:37 AM »
initial concept sounds quite effective

they are, they where used during the civil war in cannons

Offline dpastordan

• Avid Poster
  • Shooting firearms since 1962
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:29 AM »
Quite a few guys I know that used the accelerators would use them as "finishers" on deer that were not quite dead. 

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
I used them when they were made in 308.
My Browning BLR would shoot them into a 3-4" group at 100 yards. Not too bad if you cannot justify a varmint rifle. They would hit a coyote 150 to 200 yards no problem.
 We have more woodchucks here than anyone wants so I have gotten serious about my varmint rifles and gotten away from the accelerators. I see they are being made again in 30-30 and 30-06 but not listed in 308 last time I looked at Remington's website

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »
The accelerators were a good idea that just didn't "Cut Muster".

The sabot idea is sound but not in small arms. Our main tank round is the Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot (APFSDS) in the 120mm smooth bore gun. Who would have ever thought the smooth bore cannon would have a resurgence?

The whole process is to throw ideas against the wall and see what sticks.

Who would thought the Gatling Gun, invented in the 1850's, as a "muzzle loader", would still be a viable weapon system?

Bill

Offline Shooter 250

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »
The accelerator a Great concept.
I didn’t ever put this round to paper though so I don’t really know how tight the groups would be. As a kid in my early 20’s I used to shoot beer bottles out to a hundred yards free hand in a Rem 760 in the 06 so they must have been fairly accurate.
I think this is the most all around cartage ever built. With the 55gr accelerator to a 220gr round nose there isn’t anything on the North American Content that won’t succumb to this round. As you can see I am an 06 fan. I purchased this rifle when I was young and didn’t have the funds to purchase many different rifles.
You are quite correct though I don’t think I would like to sit and shoot prairie poodles all day with one 30 caliber 55gr accelerator either.
If you are going to shoot strictly varmints out to 350 to 400 I would stick with 22-250.
But for about any thing else the 30 caliber is a great round. If I had only one rifle to buy it would be the 06.
I guess I got a little of track but you get the idea.
You can take all this and buck fifty and get a cup of coffee.;D

Offline BigLost

• was I wrong?no,,,mistaken
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
My old runnin' partner got 40 rounds when he traded into a mk10 '06 and we shot off the bench first he shot a bunch of surplus machinegun ammo he also got with gun,,the 174 gr.load,,so by the time he got to the accelerators he was pretty punchy,,,and he was trying to shoot for group!!he did no better than3 or 4'' and was pissed off that didn't bug hole,,,,,,,,,I says Mike,,they are only spose to shoot as  the gun shoots regular ammo,,,,AND NOT MACHINEGUN AMMO!!!,,,,,,,after a while we went back to the bench and he was still bitchin' and I had to remind him we just got the gun this morning,,,we dont even know if it will shoot good at all.He went to his levergun and I took up the '06,, fired some WW 165'sPP's,,1-3/4" from a still warm and very dirty bore,,,10 min. latter I fired 5 accel.'s,,,1-1/2",,,,just what the Reminton copy said. ;)
If You Knew Me Like I Know Me,,You Wouldn't Like Me Either