Author Topic: Youth Slug Gun??  (Read 944 times)

Offline deerdhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
Youth Slug Gun??
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:23:13 AM »
I have never owned a NF but after reading on the forum think one would be a good gun for my son who is 13.  He will be hunting deer with it so I want a slug gun.  From what I have read on the forum it would seem that the Tracker II would be lighter and in 20 ga. could be D&T for a scope.  Do you agree that this is the best option on a NF slug gun for a youth and what would be a decent price range for a Tracker II????

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Youth Slug Gun??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
You could get a standard Pardner in 20 gauge and have it drilled and tapped for a scope. A 20 gauge with a modified choke will shoot Foster style slugs really well at 50 yards. If you factor in the price of ammo. the standard 20 gauge will be alot cheaper too due to not having to shoot sabot slugs. The Tracker II is made to shoot sabot slugs and will lead up with Foster style.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:29:20 AM »
At what range will he be likely to shoot? Hunting from stand or walking around all day? Recoil tolerance?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:29:31 AM »
I agree with Markus, we really need more info on your kid to make a good reccomendation.  My grandson is 10 and just over 5' at about 110-120#.  He has enough reach and is big enough to shoot an adult size shotgun.  For a kid that size, I would recommend the TDC in 20ga.  It has choke tubes so you can shoot just about anything with it.  It has a vent rib so you can mount a set of clamp-on sights for deer hunting.  I guess the new ones are coming with 28"barrels like a 12ga, but you might still be able to find NIB one of the earlier 26" barreled guns.
If you are dead set on a dedicated slug gun...2 choices for a kid...the Tracker II 20ga($140 or so) and that comes with open sights, and the USH 20ga Youth($160 or so) and that comes with a scope base and 22" heavy barrel. 
Thats my 2 cents, since you ask.  My grandson's first will be TDC just because it will broaden the options for him, since he will only have 1, for now. ;)

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline deerdhunter

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 04:18:55 PM »
Sorry for not repling - neen away from my computer.  My son is small for his age with very small hands and short arms.  I do want a dedicated slug gun in 20 ga. for him.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »
USH 20ga youth sounds like a perfect fit to me.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
It would help if your son could do some shooting with these different slug guns before you bought. The USH youth is lighter than the standard but still a bit heavy. The Tracker II is nice and light but not to bad on recoil if you stick with the 1450 fps sabot rounds.

You would probably save a buck ot two on the Tracker II even with D&T and the $18 dollars for the rail and hammer extension but if he could shoulder and shoot the youth USH, that comes all set to add a scope.

Where do you live? If someone that has a USH youth could let your son try it. I have several Tracker II's that are scoped and I live in Wisconsin.

Offline messer454

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »
I would get a Tracker II and have it drilled and tapped.  My aunt has one and loves it because of the light weight.  I would then look real close at some of the Winchester Partition Gold Slugs.  They are said to have the ballistics of a .45-70 with less recoil than the old rifled slugs due to being only about 300 grains.  I have an article on them somwwhere.