Author Topic: Trouble Sighting In  (Read 1283 times)

Offline 2Guns

• Trade Count: (0)
Trouble Sighting In
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »
Hey;

I recently purchased a new Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 and mounted it on my Marlin Guide Gun.  I removed the previous scope, Bushnell 1 3/4 x 5, as I wanted a scope with better clarity and a little more magnfication.  I have a Leupold one piece base and rings which are solidly mounted.

My problem is that when I took it to the range I ran out of elevation adjustments at while trying to zero it at 25 yards, it was shooting too low.  The adjustments were walking the shots up but I ran out of up adjustments before I could get it zeroed.  The old scope scope (in the same ring and base) worked fine.

In preparation for a return trip to the range I made sure the scope adjustments were centered (turned the elevation knob all the way the stops counting each click and then backed it off by half so it should be in the center of its adjustment range).  If this does not work I will send the scope back, but I thought maybe you all could clue me in on something that I have not tried or if you have encountered anything like this previously.

Thanks 2 Guns 

Offline mattinPA

Re: Trouble Sighting In
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
hi
did your left and right POI stay the same or did it move over to one side more with each click?
Did you check it for level? I rely don't know if this is the problem but when I stared shooting at diffrent distances It can really mess you up

good luck
matt

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:18 AM »
That has been a problem with a lot of Leupold's.  They do not have as much adjustment as some other scopes. I have run into this with a few shotgun scopes from Leupold. The best thing I can suggest is get the scope as close to the barrel as possible. Use the shortest ring you can get away with on your gun.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »
I had the same problem......I don't think it's the scope....(Leupold VXIII 1.75 X 6)...mounted on a standard 1895 in 45.70...I added a .025 piece of brass shim stock under the rear base......problems solved.....

My mount was a Weaver base and rings.......could the specs Marlin gave to the mount manufactures be off?

Quite honestly, I haven't tried another scope, but the Leupold had plenty of adjustment, just not where it needed to be.......

I just don't see how it could be a problem with the scope.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »
victorcharlie, some scope's have more adjustment than other scope's. I have run into the same problem, but when I mount the scope as low as I can, it has eliminated the problem. I have also have done what you posted and put a shim under the rear base.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 2Guns

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:07:31 AM »
Use a shim??  There is something fundamentally wrong with the concept of requiring me to jerry rig a 400 dollar scope so it will shoot as correctly as a $125 scope!  I upgraded to a the Leupold for the optics but before I jerry rig the mounting system I will try either trade it for a replacement Leupold or get my money back and by a Nikon Monarch.  I still have not been able to get out to shoot it again due to the weather, but when I do I will let everyone know what I find out.

Offline Ratltrap

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 08:17:40 AM »
Use a shim??  There is something fundamentally wrong with the concept of requiring me to jerry rig a 400 dollar scope so it will shoot as correctly as a $125 scope! 

Maybe so, but the only other choice you have is to buy some Signature rings and use the offset inserts.

The only other thing it might be is the orientation of the turrets is wrong - i.e., you have the windage turret where the elevation turret should be. I've caught myself doing that a couple of times while mounting scopes.  :-[

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »
What I'm trying to tell you is the mounting system is where I'd start looking........

Put you gun in a vice and adjust the turrets to see how much adjustment the scope has.

Redhawk1 gave a good piece of advice to mount the scope with the lowest mount available.

I still think the problem isn't the $400 scope, but the $50 rings and/or base.........

You might just give Leupold a call and see if they have any idea about what might be happening......

I'd really like to know how you resolve this problem......

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 2Guns

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 04:41:41 AM »
Fellas;

I shot the rifle again last saturday just to confirm my findings and unfortunately it is still shooting low after exhausing all of the up elevation adjustments; 8 1/2" low at 100 yards.  I counted the number of clicks of adjustments the scope has and it totaled 142 which if my math is correct would equate to 35.5" of total adjustments; up and down.  I compared that to the Leupold specs for this scope on thier web site and discovered that the scope is spec'ed for 65" of total adjustments at 100 yards, so I think it is clear that the scope is not performing as it should.  I will be mailing it back to Leupold for repair today.  Once I get it back and test fire it I will post the results.  Thanks for all of your comments.

2Guns   

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »
Fellas;

I shot the rifle again last saturday just to confirm my findings and unfortunately it is still shooting low after exhausing all of the up elevation adjustments; 8 1/2" low at 100 yards.  I counted the number of clicks of adjustments the scope has and it totaled 142 which if my math is correct would equate to 35.5" of total adjustments; up and down.  I compared that to the Leupold specs for this scope on thier web site and discovered that the scope is spec'ed for 65" of total adjustments at 100 yards, so I think it is clear that the scope is not performing as it should.  I will be mailing it back to Leupold for repair today.  Once I get it back and test fire it I will post the results.  Thanks for all of your comments.

2Guns   

Interesting for sure.......by any chance did you call Leupold customer service and ask them about it?  Let me know if you get satisfaction.....I might need to send mine in if they find something wrong with yours.......
Barry Goldwater

Offline 2Guns

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 09:33:23 AM »
All:

Well I guess I have to eat my words, Leupold returned the scope after their shop inspected it and declared that the scope was operating as it should?  I don't like the answer I received, but it is what it is, my plan now is to install a shim under the rear base screw and take it back to the range, I hope that solves the problem.  Thanks for your comments.   

Offline wncchester

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
Use a shim??  There is something fundamentally wrong with the concept of requiring me to jerry rig a 400 dollar scope so it will shoot as correctly as a $125 scope! 

I don't agree that you must jerry rig it, shimming is pretty common.   Fact is, the real problem is not your scope but your mount or, perhaps,the action threads are not be cut precisely in line with your bore. Your problem is not unique, many rifles have less than perfect barrel installations but still shoot well.   

In those cases when it's neccessary to shim the mount it's not a jerry rig for the scope, in the usual sense.  Your Bushnell scope has enough adjustment lattitude to compensate and the Leupold doesn't.  But, if the mount was level to the line of bore your scope would not need very much adjustment to be on target. 

Most mounts require a  shim of about .001" for each 1" of desired change at 100 yards.  Center your scope's vertical adjustment and shoot at a BIG target at 100 yds, then measure the change needed and make your shim the needed thickness.  Put the shim under the rear mounting screws, but NOT FORWARD of them!  That will raise your point of impact to near center and you should be home free.   ;)      (It would be VERY good to lap your rings before mounting the scope!)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue