Author Topic: Home made projectilels  (Read 440 times)

Offline Div Arty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Home made projectilels
« on: June 11, 2007, 02:03:34 PM »

With the problem some of us having in finding the correct size projectiles for our bores.  I thought this idea might work.  Not having a mill to cut a slot in steel.  I made one out of wood.  If you think it will work I'll turn one out of metal and slot it with a hack saw. 
     The thought was to turn a cylinder to the size of the bore minus the thickness of a piece of sheetmetal and the allowance for windage.  Then mill a slot the leingth of the cylinder about 1/4 to 1/3rd the depth of the diam. of the stock.  Cut your sheetmetal to size plus a 1/4" on the sloted ends and bent these 1/4"  90 deg.  Then bend the metal around the cylinder clamping it with an automotive hose clamp.  Having done that the seam would be soldered.  Then one overhanging end would be hammered flat for a bottom.  Then filled with concrete.  I think that filling it with lead or zink without a form might distort the sheetmetal. 
     Well have at it and see what you think.

Div Arty

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Home made projectilels
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:16:21 PM »
What size are you shooting for ? I found lots of pipe sizes in 1/8 increments up to 2-1/8 at my local NAPA store... muffler pipe.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&Keyword=pipe&KeywordCat=Exhaust+Pipe+Tubing+-+Straight&VehCode=N

It cuts easily with a muffler pipe sized tubing cutter. The cutter chamfers the ends inward when it cuts, which helps retail the concrete or whatever you are putting in it.

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
Re: Home made projectilels
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »

Rickk     Thanks for the tip.  Haven't got to the point of scouting sources yet.   I just thought that something like a soda can only any size you want to make it.   My bore will be 11/2" minus windage.

Div Arty