Author Topic: Kinda a Gun Topic - Naming A Movie Studio  (Read 302 times)

Offline zipperzap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Kinda a Gun Topic - Naming A Movie Studio
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:13:10 AM »
OK - here's the deal - short and later long version. ... Sorry I haven't been here lately - been busy. I have a friend - like a brother - 51 year friendship - both of us are avid collectors/shooters/used to hunt extensively. ... and he's kinda drawn into a rather unique situation.

Allan (him) is a very wealthy man - maker of more than just a couple huge fortunes - and has found himself the co-owner of a world class  building in Southern California that will be leased to major film companies and he wants to form his own. He's asked me to come up with some suggestions for a name for the company (yes, I know there are companies out there who you can pay to do it for you - we've decided that it'd be more fun this way) - if you are interested, read on - if not, just flame me and be done with it.

Read on:

Good morning. Here's something that you don't see every day on a gun forum ... I assure you it isn't spam.

Sorry I haven't been here lately, but some pretty interesting things have been happening around me and my good buds - thought I'd share if you care to partake. I'f not - just flame me and go on to the next thread.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves, simply, the naming of a major movie studio that will be in full operation sometime this summer. The press will be informed as soon as we get a name for it!

As always, should you, or any member of your team be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions. You will have three or four days to submit a winning studio name.

... and no, I’m not kidding ... and yes, there will be generous compensation for the sucessful completion of your task.

This message will self-destruct in five days.

E-mail your submission(s) to: myideas@myway.com - Put 'Attn: Allan or Scott on the subject line.

Well ... sorry for the ‘cutsie’ introduction to a peculiar problem I’ve got. It’s a rather unique problem but perhaps a fun/lucrative challenge for one of you.

It’s for real - a no holds barred - steal of a simple deal.

But, first, here’s some background.

Allan and I have been close buds since the 6th grade - 51 years ago - a best friend - ‘like a brother,’ kind of thing.

Allan has been fortunate in life to make a few spectacular fortunes and has reinvested and compounded those fortunes into even bigger ones. It’s been a real ‘E’ Ticket ride for the both of us - I’ve been an interested spectator until now - and now I’m an employee of a yet unnamed fledgling mega-movie studio.

Through a series of good decisions, a lot of luck and solid business moves, Allan finds himself the co-owner of one of the three largest buildings in the world - yeah - no kidding.

Through a series of negotiations with some of the largest and most successful movie studios in Los Angeles, negotiations have almost been completed which will insure leasing agreements with some of those major movie studios in Los Angeles - for the use of his mega-building and surrounding structures (which are REALLY unique) - which I can’t discuss until the last ‘i’ is dotted and the last ‘t’ is crossed.

For the past couple of weeks studio architects, electricians and sound engineers have been doing design work and finishing up studies that will provide the last structual designs as to how everything there will best be utilized and arranged so that the many sound stages will best be laid out and constructed.

Allan is also forming his own company - a major one - a film company/production company, complete with a major part of the absolutely huge facilities which he owns. This will easily be on a Mel Gibson scale - probably bigger, though.

Believe it or not, the major headache at the moment is necessity of coming up with a name for his new movie company.

At first we just laughed it off as something that would be a lark - simple as pie - to come up with a name. Right? ... nope, wrong!

It seems now that everyone wants a name ‘yesterday’ - lawyers, architects, ad agencies, an endless line of subs and jobbers, etc. - we’re talking the next few days if possible.

It’s not as easy as you’d think.

Come up with a winning name and you’ll be more than adequately rewarded.

When the news is officially released the name of the town in Southern California will be revealed - it’s initials are S.M. (no, not Santa Monica)

Here are your perimeters - suggestions - if you care to strain your brain.

We are looking for something catchy - too bad Dream Works, Touch Stone and Universal are taken.

It has to be unique (obviously) and although there are no firm guidelines it may be a combination of names - something simple but a name that sticks in your memory.

Here are some favorite words, so far. You may have different ones ... we'd like to hear them.

Quest
Merlin
Illusion
Dream(?)
Wave
Grand
Brilliant (or a variation or the word - or meaning)
Horizon
Mystic
Ultra(?)
Etc., etc., etc.

Get the idea? If so, drop them to myideas@myway.com

E-mail me there if you have any questions. I’ll be up there most of tomorrow but will answer all mail sent, later on in the evening.

Good luck and may the best - and most creative person - win! I hope you can do better than we have, so far!

I apologize for any mistakes/typos - it’s past 1:00AM PST and I’m not quite as sharp as I am during the day!

Scott

... and here's another e-mail I've sent with some photos of the studio in its present state.

Upon returning from the studio this afternoon I was surprised and delighted with the response for my challenge to find us a name for our Monster Studio. I had to go there and shoot some archival footage and a couple hundred photos requested by potential lease holders (to answer some of their questions).

The most difficult thing I found in trying to photograph it for a size perspective is that you can't - not from the ground, anyway. If all remains clear maybe I'll take to the air? LOL

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/1-1.jpg

Here's a shot from the office level(s) - the interior space below is less than 1/3 the total interior - the offices are 4 and 5 stories above the ground floor. Today they were doing some interior redecorating - removing some rather large 'vertical foundations' that need to be battered down and removed.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/2.jpg

Here is a shot of one of the 'big boy toys' that makes a lot of noise and dust! Ten verticals to remove - two per day - makes for a pretty full week.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/3-3.jpg

Lots of healthy rebar won't go easily - but it will go!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/4.jpg

Here are some 'test pokes- just the tip of that ram runs a cool eight grand!'

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/5.jpg

Here's the best I could do with photomerge (CS2) - I haven't worked out the sky tone merge very well yet - tonight, I suppose.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/6.jpg

Here's another indication that this is one fine building for a movie studio! There are some oversized concrete water tanks out in the back lot area just perfect for another pirate movie!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/STUDIO.jpg

S

“A man is but the product of his thoughts ...
if he thinks - he is.”

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Kinda a Gun Topic - Naming A Movie Studio
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »
Since you are looking for something simple, and are posting on a gun/archery/hunging forum, I propose Ballistic Studios or Ballistic Productions.  It would be really great for those action/adventure movies.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.