Author Topic: Pardner Youth  (Read 757 times)

Offline Marcos

• Trade Count: (0)
Pardner Youth
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
Hi guys.  Just picked up a brand spankin' new Pardner Youth 20 gauage.  :D  I want to use it as the basis for a light, handy, efficient woods runin' survival gun.  I wanted the Youth model for the shorter 22" barrel, modifed choke so that I can shoot slugs if needed.  I'm going to replace the shorter butt stock with a straight grip full length stock. Being sort of a traditionalist I like the wood stocks. A few coats of tung oil on the stock to be sure that it is well sealed and a few coats of high temperature wax on the metal will provide extra protection.  I'll add sling swivels and sling to make it easier to carry.  I think the  entire package will weigh only 5 pounds. The gun will be nice and short, handy and compact, and will be great from rabbits to bears (little ones!).  ;)  Anything else I should consider to make my gun better?  Anybody built something similar for a hiking gun ???   Thanks.   Marcos       

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Pardner Youth
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »
Excluding the wax and tung oil,  I have what you have. ;D  I like it.  I haven't been out with it as much as I would like, but it is real Handi.  I don't have sling on mine, yet.  All I need is to install the studs.  Once my turkey season and spring chores are done, I will have more time to spend in the woods and I am looking forward to that.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Marcos

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Cookiemann.  Sounds like you have the same idea that I have.  I am fortunate that I can walk out my back door and hike until my heart is content.  I usually carry a firearm of some sort and I think this new 20 gauage will be ideal.  Just for the fun and experience I lugged along a Mosin Nagant 91-30 most of last year.  It was fun to shoot along the way but got really HEAVY !! :D  Once I got it through my head that I wasn't on the Russian Front I went back to my Ruger sixgun but that was also not really comfortable when climbing.  I think the 20 gauage, with the sling, will be a delight.  As far as actually shooting something on my trecks, I might run into a snake on occasion or a rabbit.  Mostly I get attacked by ill tempered rocks and annoying sticks and such.  One thing that got me going on the idea of an ultra light 20 gauage was an exerpt from a reprint from Camp and Trail Methods by E. Kreps.  I believe the original was published in the early 1900s (?)  In this book Mr. Kreps has a chapter on useful firearms used in the Eastern woods and made mention of the old muzzle loading  Northwest guns as furnished by the Hudson Bay Company.  He considered them as near ideal woods and travel guns because of their versitility.  However he did point out that the more modern breech loading  single shot shot gun was much more practical and filled the bill well for "hunters and trappers".  The book is a fun read.  Anyway, my soon-to-be NEF "Northwest Gun"    should be lots of fun.  .  And that's what its all about !!   :D   

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »
I have something similar, but in 12ga.  I left the youth stocks on it, as they fit me well. ;D
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 05:04:58 PM »
Marcos,

I just got my shortly about three weeks ago and I love the Lil’gun. I also put a sling on it, but if I had to do it again I would use a barrel band swivel for the front swivel. My shorty jumps when you fire the 3” 20 gauge  magmuns out of her. The front swivel catches my finger and it’s smarts.  My has a TDC butt stock and a TJC forearm, both are walnut and I also like the traditional wood stocks. I’m planning on ordering a plan walnut stock set from Gunstock, Inc. along with a recoil pad. I feel I need the butt stock about 1 inch shorter. The other stocks will go back on the .410. The other thing I am going to do is get a better front sight post. I’m looking at the Marble's fiber optic orange sight. This is going to be my little carry gun, but I can’t just walk out the back door with it, that would probably have the man come visit me.

Good Luck!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:27:42 PM »
I have a 12 gauge "shorty".  I lathe cut the barrel down to 20.5" and had a large brass bead installed.  With the wood stocks and a barrel band swivel, it weighs 4 lbs. 15 oz.  It's great to carry all day but it really lets you know it's there when you pull the trigger!!  I'm working on a 20 gauge "shorty" now. It is going to be a 20.5" barrel with custom iron sights silver soldered on. These are great little guns to customize to suit your needs.   ;D

Spanky.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:48 AM »
You are so right, they may be Handi Rifles but they are also "fun guns" for sure....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Marcos

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:17 AM »
Hey Y'all.  Thanks for your replies.  A number of excellent suggestions!  :D  The sights ideas interest me greatly.  Some kind of low rear sight (I could make one)  would greatly enhance the guns performance when shooting slugs. I like the simplicity of the bead sight but it just may be too low to allow for even  a minimal rear sight.   I'll just have to try a glued on test sight to see if the bead is okay.  If not... then    change it.  The barrel band idea for the sling is a good one.  That's one of the great things about this  site...EVERYBODY ELSES EXPERIENCE !!!  ;D   Well, if I get the chores done around here this morning then I'll get out and try my little gun this afternoon.  The youth sized stock is still on it but I'll wear a heavy coat to increase the pull.  I'll patern it both with shot and slugs.  I'll let you know how we do.

Thanks again guys.  You've been most helpful !!    Marcos           

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »
I have the same idea but used there 24 in choke tube barrel, put a ramp up front with a fire sight, an older rear sight off a 45/70 just on front of the chamber.  I Just used the adhesive from poly choke (they use it to attach their vent ribs) so far it has worked fine. Put a gobbler choke it it my son is going to try & get his first turkey with it this weekend
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!