Author Topic: Anybody carry a NAA 22?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anybody carry a NAA 22?
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »
There are times when I can't carry my j-frame concealed. Have a Davis 32acp derringer but with the trigger pull thats horrible I don't consider it much for self defense. Was thinking about one of the NAA 22 magnums and just wondered how many others use them.
 With the things being about 7/8" thick it should wouldn't make much of an outline.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Re: Anybody carry a NAA 22?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:25:04 AM »
Don't have any experience with the NAA, but can't imagine shooting one. Have you considered the Kel-Tek in .32 or .380? I have the .380, very thin, 5# trigger, and never know it is in your pocket. it is not something you would want to shoot all day, but, for me, very controllable.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »
Lot's of people carry these mini revolvers. The point could be made that any gun is better than none at all. If that's all I had, I'd carry one. I carry a P-3AT for pocket carrry. It's light and flat and makes a much more useful pocket gun that the minis. The primary disadvantages of the minis are:
Slow to get into action.
Slow rate of fire.
Difficult to shoot well.
Underpowered.
I have shot the minis extensively, the short/LR/Mag. They are fun to shoot, and with practice, hits can be made at reasonable distances.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline TGFOGAL

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:18:08 AM »
I carried a NAA 22 for a while. Then got a P-3AT, it is great.
Don't carry the Mini any more.

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:10:14 AM »
The p-3at looks like a nice piece. But I perfer a revolver to an auto. I haven't shot one of the NAA's so I was wondering about handling.
 In the summer when we're out on the boat or knocking around I'm usually in cutoff jeans and probably no shirt so the little gun was appealing for that reason. Hmmmmm.

Have to give this some more thought. Thanks
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline S.S.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:33:03 AM »
I have had the .22 mag version and the .22 LR version of the Mini-Revolvers.
They are extremely difficult to fire accurately past about 5 or 10 feet.
They flash burned my hand on a regular basis from the Cylinder gap also.
They are awkward to get positioned in your hand to even fire them unless
you have small hands. These types of firearms are better conversation pieces
than defensive weapons. I sold the .22 Lr and the magnum version I disassembled an sold
the parts. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried practicing with them quite a bit
but the usefulness just isn't there with these.  I think you would be better armed with a fast opening lock blade knife, useful range is about the same.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:33 AM »
Have been hearing good results about the Black Widow version. Little longer barrel and bigger grips. But the longer grips seem like they would take away some of the concealed part.
Andrew

Offline benjaminw7528

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 12:28:10 PM »
 I own one of the little revolvers and love it mine is a 22 lr it shoots good close up

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 01:14:33 PM »
I guess that it's better than nothing, but why?  There are so many light, concealable, more powerful, and better built guns out there. Personally, I wouldnt trust my life to one. Ive shot a few, and could not hit man-sized targets unless they were a few feet away. You probably shoot yours better, but why not a small revolver or auto in a more effective chamering? I may be pontificating, and a any gun is better than none at all. i guess my point is that there are far better choices and calibers. Just my 2c. No offense meant.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 02:59:59 PM »

I own one of these in .22 Magnum with the grip shown called the holster grip. It fits my big hands very well and
I can shoot very well with it. I practice with it at 7 yards and it is more accurate than my Model 36 J-frame. I can easily hit empty shotgun shells at 7 yards, I highly recommend these as a "can't carry anything bigger" piece. They conceal very well. I made a cusom pocket holster out of an old eyeglass case and it works very well.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »
I carry the 22mag and also have the 22lr cylinder for it.  I guess I bought a real peach of a used gun because at 10 yards I can put them in the head of a silhouette target EVERYTIME ALL DAY, and I am not that great a marksman.  The 22mag is a good thing to bring to a knife fight or to use if you can't carry a gun.  The bark and the bite would make a reasonable person think twice about continuing an attack, the only problem is might be attacked by an unreasonable person.  I have the 1 5/8" barrel and I put a set of black widow grips on it.  Those grips DO NOT print in my pocket and do not appreciably effect the pockets i can carry in.  They do make the gun much easier and faster to get into action and fire.  They help improve accuracy in my big hands as well.  Like everyone says, there are better options in a semi auto, but there is nothing else in a revolver in this size class.  I more or less consider that against a determined adversary, it would require a CNS shot to stop some one, but I do carry mine occasionally when nothing else will do.  I prefer my NAA 32acp, but if you got to have a revolver, I do consider the 22mag MUCH better than a knife, just not as good as a gun.  Actually, if you carry a 22mag, you would be well advised to also carry a good knife also just in case the 22mag does not make a big enough impression, or depression as the case may be.

All said and done, I have pocket guns in 32acp, 9mm, 40S&W, 357SIG, and 45acp.  I will have one of the larger calibers if I really expect trouble, but I still find occasions to carry my little 22mag as a backup or sometimes as a solo gun.  I have no plans to get rid of my 22mag either (my son won't let me, he thinks its his gun when we go to the range.)

Roll Tide

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 06:58:42 AM »
I have one in .22 Mag.  It is a better than a sharp stick, but not my choice for a carry gun.  As mentioned above, it is hard to handle, and not a very effective choice of caliber.  

There is little difference in cost between the NAA, and a Kel-Tec P-9, and not a lot of difference in size.  There are several new holsters, in-side the pants, for the Kel-Tec, that make it a very good choice no matter how you are dressed.  The Kel-Tec is 9mm, and has a 7 round capacity, which makes it even more attractive.  I don't own a P-9, but have shot one, and was pleased with the way it handles, maybe someday I will add one to my collection.

As I said, anything is better than a sharp stick, but I don't think I would place the safety of my family and myself on the NAA.  I feel a lot safet with the thought that I can make a big hole, if necessary.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »
I bought one for carry in weather when I wouldn't be able to wear bulky clothing. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
I've posted this  before and so have others but its what I carry when I CANT carry a gun. I look at it more as an improved knife. And I carry a knife along with it. The main plus as I see it is element of surprise.
NRA Lifer

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »
I like having one in my left front pocket. I usually keep my hand in my pocket It is better than nothing. It is better than my .45 if it is with me and the .45 is at home.

I would like to try a P-3AT, but I haven't bought one yet so the NAA gets the nod.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline sherpa

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »
i have both it just depends they are back ups to a .380 or something larger
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.