Author Topic: Basic Lee Loader for Hornet  (Read 678 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Basic Lee Loader for Hornet
« on: March 24, 2007, 03:14:54 AM »
A freind has convinced me to buy a basic lee loader and "pound"  ;) out some 22 Hornet reloads.  He is an avid Hornet reloader/shooter of many decades and while he has a quality bench set up, he reports they use them for field reloading on P-Dog hunts and keep them under the truck seat etc.  He says they work very,very well and has done some comparisons to his bench reloads.  He notes it's actually a simular set up to what bench rest shooters use while on the range to adjust and has some addvantages.  The kit dipper is not made for 13 gr of Lil Gun.  He makes his own for the Hornet and is mailing me one made for 13 gr Lil Gun that him and others use in the field.  The standard dipper does hold 10.7 of H110,etc.  I have about 650 rounds of brass saved up. 

BTW- I tried some value S & B Hornet ammo ( 45 grain SP) recently and said I would give a report.  The report is ........it's accuracy through my Handi Hornet reflected it's low cost.  Accuracy was not very good, the Winchester 46 gr followed by the Hornady 35  factory loads were much better.

With a rise in ammo costs and the low cost to re-load a Hornet combined with the kits low cost and my foundness shooting the Hornet, it makes sence for this non reloader.

For $15-$20 bucks I will give it a try and let you know down the road. 

Anyone else use it?

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
Re: Basic Lee Loader for Hornet
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
I know many who use them and i use one occasionally myself to load for a 35 remington.  I watched an uncle of mine use one when I was young and it always sort of fascinated me.  I ended up with one in a trade for a caliber I shoot and I made a dipper for my load.  Works great and in my fortress of solitude (reloading shed) nobody is bothered by the noise.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:18:02 AM »
I have many Lee Loader kits the oldest I got 44 years ago and it is still going strong. I use them in 45/70, .38/.357 Mag/.360 DW/.357Max, .22 Hornet, .223 Rem, .35 Remington, 7x57 Mauser, I have them but have not used them extensivly in 20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge, .22-250. .22 Jet, 7.7 Jap and some others that excape me at this moment. I have bought and gifted several to guys who wanted to start reloading. They are a great item for what they are meant and you could do very well reloading if thats all you ever had. I usually weigh all my charges individually but use the dippers as a scoop, I would think if I had no scale I would do very well also. With a hand priming tool it seems to be less noisey....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »
MSP, have a chance to pick up a lee load all in 12 ga, that isn't the same as a lee loader is it?? I don't think so. Do they still make lee loaders in 12 & 20?? might need to get one
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »
The Load All which is still offered in 12ga and 20ga, isn't the same as the Lee Loader.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1174769128.1707=/html/catalog/loadall.html

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1174769128.1707=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

For those not familiar with the Lee Loader or are considering reloading on a budget or have limited space, here's a great read for ya!

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/51

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hunter63

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 12:37:03 PM »
Bought one lots of years ago for my .225 win as I couldn't find dies for a press at the time.(I now have a set).
Liked it so much that I bought one for the 7mm mag and .270 also.

If your just getting into re-loading and want to keep the cost down till you find out if it's what you want to do,it is the way to go!
If all else fails, I can always shoot supper.

Offline 4570FAN

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:01:01 PM »
I'm glad that this topic came up. I've been contemplating getting a Lee Classic Loader in .45-70 to assist me in developing a "pet load" for my BC. I only live 500 yards from the range I shoot at, but my buddy's house where we generally reload is 20 miles away! It just hasn't made sense for me to purchase an extravagant reloading setup when he can duplicate my loads for me in high volumes on his Dillon press, but it would be a pain to load a few "here and there" experimenting. Would the Lee be suitable/safe for use with black powder loads also? ??? I would like to eventually switch exclusively to BP loads, and load them myself.

4570FAN

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »
I have one for doing my 30-30 reloads.  Certainly not fancy but works pretty well.   ;)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
You know I have not thought about one of these reloaders in qiut sometime. I bought one for reloading my 30-30 shells about 22 years ago. I bet I reloaded hundreds of rounds with it and never had problem. I wonder what ever happened to it. May be it was lost in a move.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »
The Lee Loader would work for black powder, but I don't know how well it would work loading cast bullets, the case should be  expanded and belled to load cast to prevent shaving the bullet when it's seated, dunno if the Lee Loader works for that.

Tim

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm

Offline 4570FAN

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
Quick:

According to the information at the link you posted, the author WAS loading soft cast bullets with the Lee Classic Loader. He mentioned Lee #90040, which is a flaring tool specifically for the .45-70, and also had tips for modifying the seater portion of the die so it wouldn't damage the bullet tips. He goes on to say that most of his loads actually performed better when the Lee Classic Loader was used versus a more expensive die/press set-up. After all, this IS the process that was used in the "Good Ole Days".  ;D I would like to "give it a go", with the exception of casting my own bullets. I think I'll hold off on that for awhile. Thanks for the info Quick!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Heh heh, it's been about 3yrs since I last read it, so that doesn't surprise me in the least!!! ;D Go for it!! ;)

Tim