Author Topic: 45 Colt carbine...first impression  (Read 838 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
45 Colt carbine...first impression
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:30:18 AM »
I went into a local gun shop yesterday to check out what they had new.  On the wall was a new 45 Colt carbine resting under a 45-70 Buffalo Classic.

The 45 carbine was VERY handi!  It shouldered well and felt very good to me.  I was very impressed.  The fore-arm is the same style as the Buffalo Classic but it is about 3 inches shorter than the Buffalo Clasic fore-arm.  I did not care for the sights, but that is a persoanl preference thing.  I think a set of peep sights as used on the Buffalo Classic would be better.  But that is easily changed.

The only thing that I did NOT like about the carbine, and this went for the Buffalo Classic as well, was the plastic trigger gaurd and fore-arm spacer.  It is glaringly obvious on these rifles that these are plastic parts.  On the Handi rifle, it is OK (although I prefer steel on those too), but on the "classic" series, they should definitely use steel for these parts or at least offer them as replacements as they did in the past (Do you hear us NEF?).  The plastic parts on these rifles really stand out against the nice wood and color case hardened steel reciever.  In spite of this one negative, I almost walked out the door with one.  If it hadn't been for recent car work being done on my cars, I would have.  I was very imprseed with the carbine.  I hope they shoot well!

Price comparison:  Buffalo Classic  $368...Colt carbine  $383.   I am not sure why the carbine was more expensive than the BC.

Matt

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
Re: 45 Colt carbine...first impression
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:36:17 AM »
Thanks for the report. I just bought my second 38-55 target model but I would have bought the 45 Colt if I had seen one.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:25:40 AM »
According to the barrel program chart on the NEF website, the .45 LC barrel (22") are available for $87..

Well,. at least they are listed..not sure if they are available as of yet. Something to think about if $390 or so is a sticking point.

BTW: What are some handloadings reaching ballistically ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 04:10:07 AM »
Different rifle, but in my Marlin 1894CB (24" barrel) I had a 250gr Hawk bullet up to around 1600fps.  Needless to say, I didn't shoot many of those. I ended up pulling what I had loaded because they were just a tad too warm for comfort and I failed to order a cannelure in the Hawks.  The Lee factory crimp wouldn't keep the bullets in the tube from burying themselves in the cases as soon as I pulled the trigger.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 03:48:54 PM »
Haywire;
       Yes, I can see where that would be a problem..compressed load and all..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)