Author Topic: Compact AR15 optics?  (Read 554 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Compact AR15 optics?
« on: April 14, 2007, 03:27:13 AM »
I am looking for optics for my AR. It has the removable handle to make it a flat top, which means i could put optics on the handle or the flat top. I have ordered a riser for the flat top believing this would be a more stable mount. I have looked at the Midway sight at fixed power scopes of 4 power and less. I am looking for other options, opinion and experiences. I am thinking I want a 4x compact of some kind and less than 1000 buck in price. Thank You in advance for any information.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Compact AR15 optics?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
My AR is a flat top model, use a red dot and a 3x9x50 Tasco World Class scope. Both work well on mine.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:39:25 AM »
 I have done some research and one of the best options found in my opinion is the Trijicon ACOG in 4 power, except for the price, almost 900 bucks at Midway. I have said it before, I have never regretted spending extra money on optics, but have regretted buying cheap optics, also known as "false economy".  So I am still undecided. Thanks for the input.

Cheese

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »
Cheese,

I have gone through most of the available optics on the various AR's I own or have owned, so I'll give you my opinion.  The Trijicon ACOG is the Cadillac of combat sights, quite possibly the best you can buy.  They are remarkably dependable, overbuilt, and reliable in virtually any situation or condition you may find yourself in.  I had a TA-31F on an M4gery and loved it.  Depending on the reticle, it is easy to make hits at 25-300+ meters.  Glass is great on these scopes, and the dual illumination allows you to use the sight day or night.  In terms of toughness, I would place the ACOG against any other optic available.

However, I did find a few disadvantages to the ACOG.  First is the price.  The ACOG is not a cheap weapon sight, and at $900 becomes unaffordable for a lot of shooters.  Also, the ACOG has a relatively short eye-relief.  All though this isn't an issue on light recoiling weapons, it still does take some time to acclimate to.  I had to really get my eye close to the bell, and never really felt comfortable with this while shooting.  Another issue I had was with true close-quarters shooting, mainly under 25 meters.  The 4x magnification makes quick hits a little more difficult for me, especially with the shorter eye relief.  The last negative, if you can call it that, is the reticle is very bright in direct sunlight.  You can alleviate this by covering the fiber optic cables, but you may not always have time to do this.

Now, don't get me wrong and think I don't like the ACOG based on these negatives.  I just want to provide you with my experience.  I would buy another one in a second for the right price.  If you do buy one and decide you don't like it, there is a long line of folks ready to buy them and resale is very good. 
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »
I would like to get a Bushnell Holo sight for mine, but I just got my AR, $1100, so I'm limited at the moment. My $75 Bushnell Red dot works very well. I just mounted theTasco on it, lines up real well, but I haven't shot with it yet. I had a Burris FF II 3x9x40 on it, but it didn't line up right for me.

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:18:52 PM »
I have owned the EOTech (combat version of the HOLO sight), and it is a good optic.  It co-witnesses with iron sights, and you don't have to buy any type of mount to use the sight.  Take it out of the package, and bolt it straight to the upper.  I had one of the "N" battery models, and the AA versions have longer battery life.  My biggest problem with the EOTech was the reticle.  I have a slight astigmatism, and it makes the circle-crosshair and dot reticle very fuzzy for me.  It was somethig I could never get used to, and ultimately went with a Aimpoint CompC. 
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the great advice everyone! I have a holo sight loaned to me by a friend I will try and an aimpoint 2000 I will try also a large Burris fixed 4x. I am trying to avoid scopes with batteries for the occasional problems that arise. My goal is to eventually have an ACOG on top of my 6.8 AR.

Cheese